localphone.com page on DSLReports

Review by real_goose See Profile

• Location: Apollo Beach,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Better quality European calls at low price to cell and landline"
Bad "Slow support - main business is not VoIP"
Overall "Wife Acceptance Factor is high so I am happy"

·callwithus
Localphone solves the biggest VoIP issue in my house: poor quality connections on calls to Greece. Even better the calls (especially to cell phones) cost less than other providers we've tried.

Several fine providers have tried to respond to issues we have with calls to Greece. Even premium routes are often not acceptable. From the first call my wife and her sister in Greece have proclaimed the calls to be the best quality every time. As the local telephone support staff in my house, this makes my job much easier.

I pay $5/month for an Athens DID with free incoming calls. The outbound calls are very reasonable and less than the standard rates at other companies we have used.

In addition, we have US phone numbers we can call when away from the house to contact anyone we list in advance with Localphone. This is the "local phone" aspect that seems to be the reason for the name Localphone. So when away from home we don't need to try to run a SIP client on a cell phone to make a call. We just call a US number and get connected to the corresponding European number we set up in advance. The rate for the call is the same as if we called from the OBi line 2 in the house and the connection is just as good. My cell phone has minutes I don't use every month so there is no additional cost.

Support was a problem. There is a mechanism to create support tickets, but no real ticket system or response. I sent screen print of OBi setup screens and they told me that this was the first time they had heard of OBi. Many days can go bye before responses are received. I finally called the support number in England and after checking was told the support staff had not responded to my second problem and she would have them take a look at it. So there is phone support, but they can not handle VoIP technical issues.

My major problem turned out to be a parameter in call forwarding. Even though I had call forwarding turned off, a call forwarding after 10 seconds default was causing calls to be dropped after 10 seconds. I asked them to treat this as a bug and suggested development should fix it.

Since there is no mention of server locations, I asked and received the response: "Currently our servers are located in Amsterdam in the Netherlands, I understand there are plans to also open servers in Virginia in the near future. The AMS servers handle all the failover as there are duplicate servers for all systems." The device guides for some devices show turning on DNS SRV.

Comments: