localphone.com page on DSLReports

Review by steve1111 See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "cheap and reliable service"
Overall "Localphone is a decent and dependable Voip provider"

·callwithus
NYC Dec 10 2012. Localphone is a decent and dependable Voip provider. They provide a cheap and reliable service which does not have sophisticated treatments for incoming calls but which can block or accept calls. Localphone is based in the UK. There is no 911 support and no contract. The service is PAYG and BYOD. Tech support is good. Localphone is not often mentioned in DSLReports.

Some time ago Localphone were renting out 212 DIDs for just one dollar per month. A 212 DID is a phone number with a Manhattan area code and some people consider a 212 DID more prestigious than a 646 DID. When I first acquired this exalted 212 number I didn't know quite what to do with it - if I gave it to my landlord or my bank, then maybe I would command greater respect. But after Hurricane Sandy I decided that two DIDs, one from each of two Voip providers, would be more reliable than one single DID. So I gave the 212 number out to my friends saying, behold, I now have two numbers. Try reaching me on this number and, if you can't, then try that number.

There are now no new 212 DIDs available but Localphone is still renting out 646 and other DIDs for one dollar a month. They also give out free iNums and provide free Sip forwarding. Prices for outgoing calls within the United States: if you have one dollar to spend, then you can get either 50 minutes with Callcentric, 100 minutes with Callwithus or 200 minutes with Localphone.

NYC Nov 30 2013. Three months ago I ported a new number into Localphone. The porting went well. However last week the DID stopped receiving calls. It took three days before they gave me a ticket number. It took five days from the time I first reported the problem to the time they fixed it. Accordingly I am downgrading my evaluation of their reliability and of their tech support from 100 percent to 75 percent. Nevertheless Localphone provides value for money, they are a decent Voip company and I recommend them.

NYC March 14 2014. Localphone has won "Best Consumer Voip 2014" award in UK; two years in a row.

NYC March 31 2014. Localphone now have monthly subscription rates for 250, 800 and 5,000 minutes. So if you have one dollar to spend, you can buy 250 minutes for 75 cents, and still have 25 cents change. The 800 minute deal is $1.60 and the 5,000 minute deal is $5.00.

NYC July 16 2014. Everything working well. Heard that they have a phone number for tech support: 15185005000.

Comments:

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·Google Voice
·magicjack.com

Ported DID.

Could you tell us from which provider did your port your DID to Localphone? I never had any problems with their original DID's but I am watching now the new DID ported from GV. Also, in the time your DID was down, were you able to forward your calls?
steve1111

join:2009-09-23
New York, NY

Re: Ported DID.

The DID was ported from Parknblend to Localphone. Everything went well. Some months later there was a problem with the DID. The problem was with Localphone. I was not able to forward my calls. For FIVE DAYS I lost ALL CALLS. During these five days my other Localphone DID worked as usual. Since the problem has been resolved, there have been no further issues and I feel more confident.

Mozammel

@inet.fi
I had some problem with this company. • They have been over charging me few times some time the refunded credit some times they did not. Recently about two months ago I asked to correct an error but the got angry and close my account without returning my USD 10.28. The told me they have refunded but I did not received anything last two months. Now the do not give me any evidence of refund and fraud me completely. They simply do not reply not I can enter into my account !

Mozammel

@inet.fi
Localphone.com is a fraud company to some client like me, they have been over charging me few times some time they refunded credit some times they did not. Recently about two months ago I asked to correct an error and refund but they got angry and close my account totally without returning my balance amount USD 10.28. Later they told me they have refunded but I did not received anything last two months.

Now they do not give me any evidence of refund and this way they fraud me completely. They simply do not reply my e-mail nor I can enter into my account and so on!
steve1111

join:2009-09-23
New York, NY

Re: Ported DID.

I have been with Localphone since 2010 and it is not my experience that Localphone is a fraud company. There once was a problem with my DID which caused some serious inconvenience but this was a technical matter that was resolved. I have found Localphone to be a decent and honest company.
replaytv1

join:2008-04-12
Miami, FL

Cheap and reliable service

We have been using Localphone for two weeks. Calls quality same as Google Voice (excellent). Rates extremely low.
We love the 800 minutes plan for $1.60 per month.
Estonia number +372 (onesimcard) rate 2.5 cents per minute, Callcentric costs 35 cents per minute.
Localphone Callback feature is priceless, you can save hundreds traveling abroad.
Localphone convert your international contacts to phone numbers in your area code for free, which is amazing.
They also accept Paypal, no taxes and fees so far.
Caller ID spoofing, call blocks.