NetTalk page on DSLReports

Review by cmarslett See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Price, very functional and reliable, easy to transfer my land line number, easy to talk to customer service"
Bad "Worse than Vonage for a fax machine, and Vonage was pretty bad!"
Overall "$30/YEAR and works just as good as the $50/month land line!"

I've only called support once, and I was very pleased with that time (easy to understand the person, quickly resolved my cockpit error problem, and I didn't spend a lot of time on hold (might have been lucky, but that was my experience).

I don't need all the extra features - just voice calls, caller ID and the occasionally need for call waiting or 3-way calling. That's in the basic plan and it works well. And call quality is great, even when my internet goes out and I fall back to using my cell phone tethering!

I bought the netTALK DUO on sale at Fry's for $29.95, and except for the fact that I can't hook it up wirelessly It has worked flawlessly since.

Good experience - I had the phone working an hour after I brought it home!
Good experience - after I and my wife were comfortable with it (maybe a week), we called support and they walked us through changing our land line number to the netTALK phone and that worked flawlessly as well. Much to my surprise!

Bad experience - in spite of their promises, my FAX machine worked even less well than it had on Vonage. I would not recommend netTALK if you have to do any FAXes. If you can go to Kinko's for the occasional FAX, then it's great, though.

And after reading the negative reviews after writing this one (I was curious about what I was not noticing), it looks like netTALK is not so hot a choice in Canada. But for someone in the US, everything I said still holds!

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

linicx
·TracFone Wireless

The reasons for reviews

The best reason is to give companies an idea of what they are doing right or wrong. The next best reason is to help readers avoid a bad product.

It always good to realize that just because A works well for you does not mean it will work well for B, or in any other country. I had a very bad experience with Vonage. I would not recommend it even though I know others who have a wonderful experience with it.

I read reviews very carefully before I buy. And because of this review I am thinking about learning more about NetTalk. I don't Fax so it is not an issue with me.

·TracFone Wireless

I did check

I looked at the NetTalk site and I find it very interesting and inexpensive enough. I don't think it will work for me as my telco Internet service is 10.00 Mbps Down and .080 Mbps Up. NetTalk web site states their product works best with a connection minimum of 0.125 Mbps Up and Down. I fear I will be unhappy with the phone quality because of my slow uplink speed.
cmarslett

join:2006-11-22
Pflugerville, TX

Re: I did check

That is very true, most (maybe all) of the VOIP services need at least 1/8 Mbps and I notice a quality difference if I use the tethering feature on my Virgin Mobile phone that is usually around 1/4 Mbps.

Re: I did check

When I had cable the residential was 4/.80. VOIP quality was not very good. I was able to use the Business 10/2 for a week. The VOIP quality was wonderful the cost was double.