RCN CABLE page on DSLReports

Review by alancats See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Reliable Connection"
Bad "Download Speeds Far Below Those Advertised; Lousy Customer Service"
Overall "As Soon As FIOS ARRIVES, I'm OUTTA HERE"

·ViaTalk
Like most Manhattan residents, I don't have a lot of options when it comes to my ISP. I've lived with RCN for eight years, strictly out of circumstance. I pay $60 a month for a supposed 10 MB/s download speed; that's what RCN states is the rate contracted for. In reality, the speeds are less than half of that, an average of 4.5 MB/s, occasionally rising to 5 MB/s. When I called RCN customer service to complain about this, I got routed halfway around the world to a Philippine call center with barely intelligible customer service reps. It didn't seem that long ago that RCN had a call center in Pennsylvania. No more, I guess. Anyway, the rep stated that as long as download speeds are "60% of the advertised rate," this is considered "acceptable." Problem is, I don't even get 6 MB/s download speeds.

In my mind, this is a completely dishonest business practice. I understand the download speeds are going to be somewhat less than advertised, but 50% less? RCN is clearly holding back the modem speeds so as to stretch the network without upgrading it. If you visit its website, you'll notice RCN offers a lot of promotions for new customers, with discounted contracts. Current customers, they don't care so much about. If I had any confidence that Time-Warner would be better, I would switch, but I figure they're just as lousy.

My building is currently being wired for FIOS; as soon as this is complete, I will be switching at light speed.

Comments: