WIND Mobile page on DSLReports

Review by corster See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Affordable Mobile Data"
Bad "Some Reliability Issues"
Overall "Great affordable alternative to the Big 3"

My previous cellular plan was with Bell Mobility, and I was spending $80 per month on my Blackberry, including a measly 500MB of Data, a small bucket of voice minutes, without tethering. Upon my contract ending, I looked at some of the new wireless carriers in Canada, and settled upon WIND Mobile.

What really intrigued me about WIND Mobile was the incredibly affordable Mobile Broadband plans that they offered on their HSPA+ Network. When I signed up in December 2010, they were running two promotions - one was a Mobile Broadband stick plan, Unlimited Data for $20 a month, and the other was Unlimited North American Calling, and Unlimited Data for $40 a month. I chose the $40 plan, and purchased an Android smartphone from the United States to use on the WIND Network.

When tethering with my WIND Mobile plan, I average speeds between 3.5mbps-4mpbs down, with 7mbps as my all time high, and 2.5mbps as my all-time low. Latency is anywhere between 89ms and 400ms, factors in this include signal strength and physical location.

The connection works well, especially considering the low cost. The only issue I have had is that some large downloads seem to stall after an undetermined period of time (this includes Netflix), but a simple stop-start in a download manager or a simple refresh of the page in the case of Netflix gets the connection working again. This is kind of annoying, but at half the cost of a typical land-line 5mbps connection in Canada, it's not a huge deal.

They claim that they throttle traffic after 5GB of usage in a month, I have never used more than 2gb so I can't comment on that.

I strongly suggest looking in to WIND Mobile if you live in their service area, but be aware - their network is not yet mature and there are some minor issues that have to be worked out.

member for 12.4 years, 5261 visits, last login: a few hours ago