WIND Mobile page on DSLReports

Review by graniterock See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "I got my cake and I can eat it too"
Bad "Urban coverage only. Expansion has slowed down this year as compared to last."
Overall "A good alternative Cell phone company."

·TekSavvy Cable
Feb 24, 2014

----------------

Things are good still. I switched to a Nexus 5 purchased direct from Google. I needed the smaller SIM. The guy at the wind store said that I could take it to the corporate run store and get a smaller one for free or for $5 he could punch a smaller card out of the one in my phone. I choose the convenience option. The first time I roamed after that the phone acted funny (wouldn't complete calls and gave an error) but a reboot fixed that. Occasionally data seems slow to respond even though I have 3+ bars. In these situations a speed test shows almost nil upload speed but decent download speed. Not sure if I should blame Wind, my phone or geography and the laws of physics on that issue.

Aug 2, 2013

------------------

Penny charge issues are resolved. I can now turn off roaming data from within my online account so it is now blocked server side and not phone side. The speeds are still pretty good here in London but have slowed a bit with the gaining popularity in London. There have been significantly less network expansions this year. Likely due to Wind trying to figure out what their long term plan is. I am looking forward to strengthened coverage in London (ie sometimes I lose signal in malls and grocery stores) and hopefully they will expand to the smaller towns and the roads to them that surround London.

January 18, 2013

------------------------

My review is the same as below. However I would like to add I occasionally get penny charges for roaming data (even on days I don't leave the city). Unclear if it is a bug with my phone or not but when roaming the phone doesn't use the data. The Nexus S even fully updated can run a bit slow so I wonder if it sometimes is slow to turn off the data if switching to roaming.

June 2, 2012

-------------------

Things have been great with my Nexus S on the Christmas Miracle plan. I'm very happy with the company and the service. 3G speeds both up and down have tested as high as 5 mbps but are usually between 1-3 during peak times. I am looking forward to them expanding the coverage area. No surprise fees except they do charge 10 cents to send / reply to short codes, to get them is free. If they fix that they will be 5/5 stars for value.

member for 11.5 years, 1608 visits, last login: a few hours ago