WIND Mobile page on DSLReports

Review by oldsam See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Much cheaper than the big 3, unlimited everything, no hidden charges and no hefty cancellation fees."
Bad "Data speeds could be better. Many dead and weak zones, limited coverage (although enough for most users 90% of the time."
Overall "Good provider for most users living in metro areas. Unlimited everything means no overages and very consistent bills."

I've been with Wind exactly one year today. I got an LG P999 on a windtab+ during last year's $29 promotion. For the longest time, I couldn't make my mind up as to whether Wind service is good or bad. In many areas, including my home, I get no reception indoors whatsoever. Since they operate on the 1700mhz band, building penetration in most areas is very weak. Don't expect coverage in building parkings, mall cores, and sometimes ever your basement. I live in Mississauga, right next to square one, which should have exceptional coverage seeing that its the downtown of Mississauga, but for some reason, my neighborhood gets 2 bars on the best of days, and indoor reception is out of the question. Even busy shopping centres like Dixie Mall and Square one suffer massive dead zones. Why indoor antennas haven't been installed in these locations yet is beyond my understanding. Customer agents' excuse was always "we're a growing company" I fully respect that, but Building smaller, and stronger networks is more important than expanding to new areas while ignoring existing dead spots in their old networks. That's just my opinion.

Another issue is data speeds. Although download is acceptable (usually 1.5+ mbps), upload is very miserable (usually 0.09mbps). It has been getting better in many areas, but there's still a lot more work to be done. I found that their network in downtown Toronto is very good compared to other areas like Mississauga, with strong reception and acceptable data speeds in almost everywhere.

My last concern is their subpar customer service. Agents are mostly based in Egypt, and while their english is very good, they're usually as good as a google search. Forget about actually getting anything resolved on the phone.

All in all, I would recommend it to my friends, although I would warn them of the cons of being with Wind. A company that stimulates competition in a stale market and provides acceptable service with very good value deserves my money over the big 3 any day.

Comments: