Distributel Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Satya See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "No installation costs. No modem fees. Great speeds for the price."
Bad "Packet loss during peak periods albeit not major. Longer wait times for customer service. NO tech support 24/7"
Overall "If your goal is unlimited bandwidth and can sacrifice 24/7 tech support and don't want to pay installation or modem fees."

I was reading a distributel vs teksavvy thread and wanted to post my review of distributel service.

I have always browsed these forums for updates and news and never intended to register. The ironic reason for me registering is doing a detail line test on my distributel service.

To begin with my main reason to try out distributel was to cut down losses incase of a bad experience. Because they do not charge for modem or installation fees and you pay the monthly fee only as a new customer, if the service was crap then it would be a loss of only 40 dollars.

With teksavvy the first payment with the modem and the installation fees and the service fees is around 200 dollars. A bigger risk to take incase of crap service. I had read bad reviews about distributel but to be honest that was the service to go for to cut down initial losses.

Having said that I called them and they recommended me to start off with 10Mbit and if I found the service reliable could upgrade to 15Mbit. I said yes to 10Mbit and I forget whether it was 8 or 10 business days they take to set up the service.

I had and still have a BELL DSL line and hence i went to order the cable service from Distributel in order to always have a backup internet line. I told them to come after 5 pm for installation and after the allotted business days the rogers technicians showed up with no delays and did all the installations. I had a chat with them and they told me most of my street is rogers (which explained my consistent Bell speeds and quality ) but the 75GB bandwidth limit sucked.

I also live in an area where it is mostly seniors or retired parents and stuff so that helps. Having said that I did encounter packet loss during peak times on distributel every now and then. It wasn't severe but for some reason it affected my yahoo streaming. No problems with youtube or its 720p streaming. Always maxed out my download speeds if you picked the right host. This is my 3rd month going and I have never had a single downtime yet (knock on wood). Yes there has been sporadic times of minor packet loss but it has never really affected my browsing or download speeds. During off peak times and weekends there is 0% packet loss. Infact, the packet losses have significantly reduced in the past week but like I said it was never major to begin with.

It's only been 2 months and who knows how it will be after a year. But hey I would rather lose 40 dollars experimenting than 200 dollars. I could also be very lucky that my service worked out fine in the first shot. I have stuck to the 10Mbit plan since then and find the 1.2-1.3MB/sec sufficient for my needs and the fact that it is unlimited is the best thing.

Regarding customer call support. I have called them where I had to wait only 5 minutes and I have called them another time where I had to wait for 30 minutes. So the wait times are all over the place. However, they have answered my questions precisely every time I have called them but i have no experience with their tech support since I haven't needed that aspect of the service yet.

Comments: