exede by ViaSat page on DSLReports

Review by Luminaris See Profile

• Location: Waterford,Loudoun,VA
Good "It is faster than, the old system"
Bad "It's still satellite"
Overall "With no other choices here, it's the only thing"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've had excede now for almost three months. The pre-sales were good, friendly customer service and, the installation went well. All the installer had to do was, remove the old hughesnet dish and, replace it with the new one. The service itself is ok at best. I do have a wireless router connected and, it's just myself and, my Brother here. He uses the wifi through his cell phone while, I use a single laptop. For the most part, it is better than the old system. It streams videos much better and, the lag is much less. They have me on their lowest plan which gives me 10gigs a month plus up to, 12megs down. The fastest speeds I have been able to obtain are, 3.5megs down with about a half up. When my Brother is streaming a video through his phone and, I'm on the computer, I notice a considerable amount of lag and, pages load much slower. The reliability of the connection is sub-par. It usually goes down during the early morning quite a bit here and, it was out all day two days ago. I haven't called them as, I'm not home a lot and, my Brother lets me know so, I haven't had the opportunity to deal with their tech support, yet. Overall I would say that, if you have any type of land based internet, keep it. It's still satellite and, it still does not compare to even my, 3meg DSL connection I had with Verizon.

member for 8.9 years, 688 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:
Luminaris

join:2005-12-01
Waterford, VA
·exede by ViaSat

Eh, it's ok

Just wanted to update my review here since I've had it another couple of months since my initial review. I would say, the service is ok at best. I used to have a Verizon 3Mbps (later upgraded to 5) at my old house and, even the 3Mbps Verizon connection smoked this exede satellite service. Video streaming is good with exede and, generally, downloads are pretty good but, the overall surfing of web pages is where I see a difference. I went and picked up a brand new wireless router (Linksys N300) and, it's a bit faster as, I believe my old router was ready for the junk yard anyway. When my Brother and I are both using data at the same time, it really lags. (keeping in mind, it's just the two of us that use this service with two devices) I have run recent speed tests and, I'm still hovering right around the 3.5Mbps speeds. I've never gone above that since I've had it. If you ask for my opinion, I still say land based internet is far better. At least with land based, you can play video games due to lower latency. There's just no comparison when it comes to land vs. satellite. It's still satellite and, although it's a good alternative for those in rural areas or, have no other choice but, land based will do you better.
Luminaris

join:2005-12-01
Waterford, VA
·exede by ViaSat

Re: Eh, it's ok

Just wanted to let everyone know that, I have now switched providers and have gone with Roadstar wireless. Even though I get less speed, there is virtually no latency and can now play online games again and, play my Xbox. With Excede, neither of these were possible. I did play World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2 with the satellite and, they did play (believe it or not) but the latency made it very difficult. The pings in both games were generally between 700 and 900ms which made the movement in both games, fairly slow and often lagged. I gave up Excede simply because of the caps, unreliability (If one little cloud was over my house, it was down. No joke) and the fact that, for the same price, I'm getting truly unlimited internet now with no caps and can play games again. If you're just a mild internet surfer and have no other options, Excede is ok.