exede by ViaSat page on DSLReports

Review by gordonmayer See Profile

• Location: White Salmon,Klickitat,WA
Good "Installation"
Bad ""ping" time; connection consistency"

I don't like to bash companies & products, and generally don't submit negative reviews. I read a lot of the reviews here before ordering Exede, and I thought I'd be ok--people like the download speeds, and generally the negative reviews were for poor installation, monthly bandwidth quotas, or the cancellation fee.

I've only had this 12 hours, so time will tell. But so far not so good. My old ISP had performance of 12mS ping, 1.5Mbps download and 1Mbps upload. Immediately after installation, on Exede I measure 700mS ping (!!), 12+Mbps download and 2Mbps upload--what that means is that it worked great for downloading big stuff (music, movies, files), but not so good for many small bits of info (because it has to re-ping & re-connect each time, I guess). So, connecting to my remote database, was about 5-10x SLOWER than before. The general "feel" for just browsing around (like Amazon) was just about the same. The quicker page load (once connected) was offset by the longer connection time.

So I get up at 2am this morning to test it, thinking maybe the ping is better in the middle of the night. Unfortunately not. 700+mS ping, 1.2Mbps download, 0.5Mbps upload. So, worse than my previous ISP, and well under Exede's stated performance.

Time will tell and I'll continue to measure this. As an alternative to dialup, this would be fine. I'm relatively remote, and can get 1.5Mbps DSL, and that would work much better for me--more consistent; much better ping/connection times; and less expensive.

Sorry I ordered this.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
Exede Eliza

join:2013-07-30

latency concern

Gordonmayer,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Exede service thus far. The ping time that you described is normal for satellite internet service. This latency (lag) with our service is 600-800 milliseconds, the time it takes for the signal to travel 22,000 miles from earth to the satellite and then back to the dish at your home.

Many VPN's, gaming systems, remote connections, remote security systems, etc.. are not compatible with satellite service. They can be slow, or not work at all.

If you have any other questions or concerns that I can help you with, please feel free to send me an email any time at: exedelistens@viasat.com.

Take care

Corral 52

@pgainc.net

Re: latency concern

That email tells me it no longer exists.
Seems to make sense to me, as I have yet to find exede listening. About to bite the $345 cancellation fee, had service for little over a month, supposedly. Haven't been able to use it most of that time, and can't get a response from Exede or the local company that sold it to me.