gemstelecom page on DSLReports

Review by decranez See Profile

• Location: Gatineau, Qc
Good "reliable, stable and good price for unlimited"
Bad "nothing so far"
Overall "worth considering, specially with no install fee and free modem"

I switched to Gemstelecom last spring, and was lucky to catch their unlimited 8/1 (now 10/1.5) cable plan for 40$ a month (46$ with taxes). I signed for a one year contract, which meant no install fee, free modem and free router, a significant saving specially if you don't already own a cable modem (which I did not).

The modem is a Motorola SB5101N, the router is a TP-link TL-WR740N 150M Wireless Lite N (cheap N router worth around 25$, but still faster than the old G router I had). Install coordination was great. I had asked to delay for a month to cancel my DSL and then reschedule install because something came up at the last minute, and they did it no problem. On install day, after the videotron guy left, my connection was on in 3 hours. I did not give 100% on pre-sales info because they had not mentionned in advance then that they charged 10$ for modem and router shipping (it's now on their website).

Connection speed is as mentionned (10/1.5) and stable.

When I had to call them, it was quick to speak to someone knowledgeable.

Et ils peuvent vous servir en français.

If you don't own a cable modem, and want to save on install fees, you should take a look at them.

Comments: