Bell Sympatico page on DSLReports

Review by gyp_sy See Profile

Good "Rock-solid 25/7 all day."
Bad "Low caps, as we all know. 125GB on a 25Mbit plan, really?"
Overall "OK if you get a deal on it, otherwise not worth the $ at the regular price given the caps."

Update 03/01/2013: I moved back to Mississauga and had it transferred on 28/12/2012. The appointment was made a week in advance and a very friendly and knowledgeable tech showed up, one of the best I've dealt with from Bell. Service was set up in about 4 hours due to wiring issues between the street box and the demarc (contractors ripped the line up a year prior and the new line was not properly connected on the street). A new dry-loop number was assigned as part of the move. I asked that my profile be raised to 25/10 from the default 25/7 (to which it reset as part of the move) and my wish was granted (did I mention how amazing that tech was?); although the strength is not enough for full 10mbit sync, I do get a solid 9mbit. Solid service since, much as expected. Price remains the same. Cap remains unreasonable... come on Bell, even Rogers are beating you on it.. to say nothing of TPIA.

----------------------

Update 20/07/2012: I moved to Brampton July 1st and set up a new installation at the new location. Time from order to installation was approximately a week, due to technician availability as well as my own. At install time, I was unhappy to hear Bell would charge a $99 fee to run a fresh line from the demarc to the modem, something Rogers/Tek Cable provide free of charge. I will dispute this when the bill shows up. The package is 25/10 now, the remote is ~2000ft from my residence. If I keep my inside wiring short, my upload is spot-on. The throughput/bandwidth quality is rock-solid so far, no complaints. The modem is another Sagemcom 2864. I received a new 12-month promo, this time at 35.97/month. I was unable to avoid the $50 activation fee (which, along with the $99 above raises my setup fee to a whopping $149!). Cap remains the same at 125GB.

----------------------

Update 21/12/2011: they tried to hit me with a $50 one-time modem rental fee. Sneaky sneaky Bell, think I don't check my bill? 15-min phonecall cleared it up, no other billing screwups to report (yet). Service has been mostly solid - a few disconnects, but nothing lasting more than 2-3 minutes.

----------------------

It's a Fibe 25 install with 125GB cap. VDSL all day every day.

I've been hooked up with the Sagemcom 2864 modem. The remote I'm on is something like 500m from my home, so signal is nice and strong. Installed the POTS splitter and handled the wiring myself (have a fairly complicated setup), tech was more than glad to let me do it

It took about 7 days from order to installation, the tech arrived in the scheduled timeslot, things went smooth (both with this and with the previous Fibe 6 install I had). I've heard a TON of horror stories about Bell, but I really can't say anything bad about them so far. There's been no downtime and no issues in about a month.

Wait times for billing and sales were very short basically every time I called (under 10min); the reps were courteous, though not all that knowledgeable.

I *do* wish the Sagemcom gave us linestats.. but of course, the more Bell can keep its customers in the dark, the better =). Just increases the load on callcenters if you ask me, you take away the option of community support (which DSLR is oh-so-fantastic at providing).

I can't rate tech support as I haven't had to deal with them yet. I hope I never do.

Value for money is calculated at the rate I'm currently getting (33.48). There was no installation fee, there are no other fees beside the monthly charge.

Comments:

Famer Chuck

@teksavvy.com

Like the bait on the end of a fish line

I take it you haven't got your first bill yet? Get used to being on the phone for hours a day trying to get your bill adjusted. Count your "man-hours" in those 12 months and how much you make an hour at work. Then figure out your losses.
gyp_sy

join:2010-07-05
·Bell Sympatico

Re: Like the bait on the end of a fish line

I did actually, showed up just as expected (regular phoneline + the 33.48). However like I said, I've heard tons of horror stories, both on here and from close friends, so it's very possible I just got very lucky =P

Luck or not though, for now I ain't complaining.
kiwibri

join:2011-10-26
Canada

Hi,
I was wondering what modem you get with a Bell Fibe 25 install? Is it the same one used for the Fibe TV? I am considering BELL Fibe 25 Only.
thanks
ariesmk

join:2009-07-03

Re: Like the bait on the end of a fish line

I just got Fibe 25, and the tech told me they're pretty much only using the sagemcom now. Its actually a pretty decent modem/router combo, the only downside is that it doesn't have line stats.
Jurjen

join:2010-08-18
Montreal, QC

billing & stats

Just wait until they start fooling around with bills (like when the traffic counter starts being bogus), then the fun really begins.

If you want stats, consider buying your own 2Wire modem. It's VDSL too, but just know that it's not compatible with all of Bell's SLAM hardware. It might work, it might not. But for a few bucks, you might find yourself a nice deal on Kijiji. TP-link is supposed to have some decent VDSL modem too, but I didn't read any reviews from Bell-cabled users yet.
gyp_sy

join:2010-07-05

Re: billing & stats

Do you happen to have the model number for this 2Wire modem? The only stuff I know by them is regular ADSL modems (of the 2701 variety).
Jurjen

join:2010-08-18
Montreal, QC

Re: billing & stats

I don't know the 2Wires very well, but I thought I read people being hookup with that for their Fibe25, so that's why I figured it must the VDSL.

My apologies if I drew a wrong conclusion.