Bell Sympatico page on DSLReports

Review by sas See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Quick installation appointment and execution. Courteous CS staff."
Bad "Slower speed that advertised. Misleading name of service"
Overall "Expensive. Not worth the money in the long run."

Update (2012-May-29): Today I call to cancel the service. This is to give them the 30 days advance notice. The 3 months trial is supposed to end on July 3. So I takes some time to update the whole review and rating. The shining parts of the whole experience are the execution of the installation and the customer service staff both when I called to acquire the service and to cancel it.

Edit: It's called Fibe, but it is a regular DSL service. There is no optical fibre connections involved. I re-used my DSL filters for the phone line. It works! Also, Bell does not allow Fibe 25 for the free trial, even the offer included Fibe 25 when I bought the kit.

Bell Fibe 16. 16Mbps download and 1Mbps upload. Initial speed test posting shows much lower.

Wired: [URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1872957···G][/URL]

Wireless: [URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1873129···G][/URL]

I bought the Bell internet kit from Dell. Call Bell on March 30 to activate. The call centre rep seemed a bit hasty. After taking the kit's serial number and asking me to hold, he hung up!

I called back and the second rep also take the kit's serial number and put me on hold for 2 minutes. He said this kit gives me 4 months free. I can only get Fibe 16 as the highest speed. 16Mbps download and 1Mbps upload. Total cost is $53.95 plus tax. I asked if there was any additional cost for dry loop. He said no. He also gave me a virtual phone number for the line. They no longer offer Fibe 25. Usage is capped at 65 GB a month. Extra 40 GB costs $5. Upgrade to 7Mbps upload is $5.

Before the day of the installation, I got an automated reminder of the installation from Bell. The technician came on time and did a quick and skillful installation. I have already set up the computer ready for the hookup. He tested the line for a dial tone. It took less than 10 minutes for him to get my computer online. I had to go through terms of services and agreed to it before proceeding further. The tech said if I "disagreed", he had to pack up the modem and leave. Computer setup take another 5 minutes. The technician said the internet seems slow and did a speed test at speedtest.net. It maxed out at 5Mbps for download. So he boosted it up a bit and I got about 10-12 Mbps DL.

Pre Sales information = sub-par because the ToS made me agree to less free months than what it said on Dell sales info and what the call centre rep told me. The information on Dell website, in the letter in the kit, and Bell rep says 4 months. The actual are 3 months, as informed by "agreement" after the installer set the service up. Bell also will not offer or activate the 25/1 speed as advertised.

Install Co-ordination = best. 20 minutes on the phone and online in 6 days.

Connection Reliabilty = Good. Service is always there. No drop/disconnection that I am aware of.

Tech Support = neutral (not use it yet). Customer service is great when I called to cancel. "M." was courteous and helpful. He suggested me to call retention/loyalty to get a better price.

Services = Worse. I could never get a close to the speed the connection was set up for. Even when the installation tech was here and boosted the signal to optimum. Max I get was 12 mbps (dl) instead of 16. Daily average I get about 7-8 mbps (dl).

Value for money = sub-par because I can get faster speed, more internet usage (bandwidth) for less money elsewhere (it rhymes with TekSavvy).

Hope it helps someone!