MegaNet Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Sarah See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,Middlesex,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable (almost flawless) fast connection, not too expensive, service can be above-and-beyond"
Bad "Installation; cancellation turned into a major problem"
Overall "Unfortunately can no longer recommend after recent issues with company"

I have been through a lot of ISPs. MegaNet is one of the better ones. We pay $399 for a fractional T1. 128k. We usually see speeds of 1200-1500 in both directions (gotta love seeing the 190 K/s upstream!). The only real issues I have had with them have been with installations, but the telco in my area is notoriously awful, and I have had a ton of trouble with them in the past, so I am not sure it's fair to blame MegaNet.

We had two weeks of downtime in March due to the Verizon tech not knowing how to do his job, basically - a card had been installed upside down in the basement or something ridiculous like that. I spent so many hours on the phone with tech support I feel like I've known the guy for years. It got so bad at one point, he asked if I had a hammer, and I said yes. He joked that he thought the only way to fix this was to take the hammer and smash all of the T1 equipment so Verizon would have to do a complete reinstall!

Anyhow, other than that we have hardly had any problems at all. One time I got a call and it was Meganet, saying they were looking into my T1 outage and it would be back up soon... BEFORE I even noticed the T1 was down. It had just been a couple of minutes. Now that's service! Another time, we had a temporary outage because of some severe coastal flooding that basically put their equipment underwater. I called my nCSR and he said his office was knee-deep in water and he did not have internet access, either! Well, what can you do?

Overall they've been quite good. We've had them for almost two years, longer than any other ISP we've used. We were supplied free equipment (router etc.) and just had to pay an installation fee. Not bad. They have generally been responsive to any questions or problems, and are often ahead of the game on things like blocking ports when worms are active or redirecting during the Verisign sitefinder fiasco. They are a small company and that lets them react a lot faster. I give them a thumbs up.

Edit 12/1/03:

We've switched our e-mail server to them for an extra $40/mo for 10 e-mail boxes, unlimited aliases, virus and spam filtering. So far it's been flawless and the spam filter has cut down my spam significantly (I used to get 100+ per day and now I get about 20-30).

Edit July 05:

Everything is still going fine. We get stable service, good speeds, never had to wait for tech support... had a couple of minor email issues (20 minute delays on a handful of random emails) but they were solved within a day or so and didn't return. We're still happy with the service.

Edit Jan 06:

Everything is still great, we have not had any problems since my last update. We got a call recently saying that there was a brief outage in the middle of the night on a Sunday and they just wanted to let us know that the issue had been taken care of. They must have fixed it pretty quickly since everything was perfectly fine when we came in Monday morning. We would not even have been aware of the outage if they hadn't called.

Edit Mar 08:

We moved a month ago and this time around the T1 installation was pretty much flawless. (Unlike our phone service... 10 days without phones thanks to One Communications losing our work order, and a month later, we still have one dead phone line out of four. Ugh.) Tech support went above-and-beyond as our switch mysteriously went bad during the move and they were able to assist me in diagnosing the problem over the phone. After installing a new switch, everything has been working just fine.

Edit Mar 13:

We finally (!) got higher-speed services installed into our somewhat antique office building. We switched from MegaNet to Comcast since 1500/1500 really doesn't cut it any more. I was extremely disappointed in MegaNet's reaction to my request to cancel. Their attitude towards us was instantly negative as soon as I told them we were moving. After I canceled the service and sent back the equipment, they stopped sending us invoices and I figured we were all set. A few months later we got a call from a freaking COLLECTIONS agency! Claiming that we owed for the last few months of service because we had signed a 12 month contract and we had to pay it out. Which would be fine... except they had never sent us any kind of bill or invoice for those months, and had never e-mailed about it, or called, or anything. Just stopped billing us and sent us to collections without a word. What a scummy thing to do! My boss contacted our CSR at MegaNet and he just said too bad, you're in collections now, you have to deal with them. This is someone we have had a relationship with for over ten years! What a lousy thing to do.

member for 13.7 years, 8539 visits, last login: a few hours ago