Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by johnnylakis See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Cheaper than cable"
Bad "Speed at night can be a problem; customer service"
Overall "Cable is faster but costs alot more"

Update 1/17/13 - I got FIOS! Check out my review there!

Update 3/3/08- Here it is over 5 years later and I am happy with Verizon Online DSL. For a while I was getting night speeds less than 400kbps. I used the Verizon Direct forum here at dslreports. A tech came to my house and Verizon switched my router at the CO. Verizon DSL is still $29.95/mo if you commit to one year, but as soon as that one year is up they jack the price to $37.95.

Update 1/21/07- Here it is over 4 years later and I am happier with Verizon Online. I just called to upgrade from 1.5Mbps to 3.0Mbps. I wasn't able to before because there was no capacity at the CO. My neighbors still can't get Verizon DSL because of lack of capacity at the CO, but at least now they will put you on a wait list. Verizon DSL is still $29.95/mo because of my local telephone package, and there are no hidden fees anymore. I never need to call tech support because of connectivity issues.

Update 1/21/05- Here it is over 2 years later and I am disgusted with Verizon Online. On May 2003, I could download at 1.5Mbps. Now during peak hours I get 500 kbps down if I am lucky. Verizon DSL is now $29.95/mo when you subscribe to any local telephone package + 5.60 in hidden fees. I now call tech support once per week because of connectivity issues.

Original posting - Modem came after 3 days (self install - very easy). I was told 10 days to live, but it turned out to be 20. Signal was live on day 11, but Verizon said that it would be wise to wait until I receive confirmation as signal may go out after a day or so (and it did). According to tech support, there originally was a problem getting the DSL signal to my house. Looks like they are backlogged. I live 10,700 feet from CO. I ordered 768/128 for free first month, $29.95 for 2nd and 3rd month, $49.95 after that on a month to month subscription. The price drops to $39.95 per month with a one year commitment. I am getting speeds as fast as 730/100 late at night. I did have speeds of 200/90 at the beginning but I got Windows XP and that fixed that. Not static IP, so you are safer against hackers.

member for 11.7 years, 159 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago