Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by legendNYC See Profile

• Location: Jamaica,Queens,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Fairly Consistent Connection"
Bad "No FIOS"
Overall "Lesser of two evils"

Sep. 2012: We suffered two (2) outages this year. The most recent incident took Verizon about a month to restore full service (3M/768) and negatively impacted our home business. We are frustrated that FIOS is still not available at our location. We are unhappy with TWC cable TV service as well and want better options for Internet, telephone and TV in NYC!

===

Nov. 2010: I would love to see FIOS in our area. Verizon DSL is a steady and reliable ISP. Speed is consistently 3M/768 which works well for several laptops and PC's, plus on-line gaming (XBox, PS3). No down time in recent memory.

===

Nov. 2009: Not much has changed. Verizon dumped ALL news groups, but this is the trend for most ISPs. Highest speed available is still 3M/768 although some folks report getting 7M. I would love to see FIOS here. We hate paying Time Warner for cable TV and will gladly switch when it is available.

===

July 2008: We've moved, but are still in the area. Verizon transferred our telephone number and DSL connection (3M/768) as scheduled. Completely painless. It looks like speeds are a bit more consistent. It's a shame Verizon dumped the alt.* groups :-(

===

Feb. 2008: I check the connection daily and it usually performs as advertised - 3M/768. If not, a reset sets things right. Verizon works well for our home network and on-line games.

===

Oct. 2006: Nothing new to report. No need to call customer service, but sometimes the connection is slower than expected.

===

Dec. 2005: Current connection is 3M/768 and it is pretty smooth sailing most of the time. VOL sent a new Westell modem without any hassle the last time I called tech support.

===

Original Review: We made the jump to DSL from dial-up in May 2001. The Westell Modem kit arrived within a week with plenty of filters (about six). Installation was very straight-forward. I was connected at 640/90 within 20 days of my order, and that's how it stayed until the recent bump to 1.5M/128 in May 2003. I called Tech Support and the upgrade arrived the following week. We currently share the connection between 3 computers and the extra bandwidth is a blessing.

===

Thank you, Broadband Reports, for all the great information!

Comments: