Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by Morgan1970 See Profile

• Location: Crisfield,Somerset,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable Connection"
Bad "Poor communication between departments when service issues arise. Must take voice service."
Overall "Congestion issues have made a otherwise solid connection nearly useless during peak hours."

·Charter
11/25/2014: I've been unable to get anywhere with the tier 1 reps, and my congestion issues are becoming more and more frequent. My line is nearly useless now on weekends, and during the evening hours through the week from 5 pm - 11 pm. I wasn't able to get above 2 Mbps for most of this past weekend.

10/16/2014: I had a tech here at BBR check my DSLAM and he said it's clearly congestion from being on an oversold CO and not anything physical with my line. I'm in the process of trying to have someone at Verizon move my line to another DSLAM in the same central office that the rep here at the site said isn't as congested. But cannot get past their tier 1 reps in India. This is going to be a real chore on my behalf.

10/15/2014: I'm still seeing congestion issues but they are happening throughout the day now as well. Not just in the evening hours. They are much worse after 5 pm though. Speeds are also very inconsistent. During a speed test, instead of being at a near constant 9.5 Mbps, it will spike wildly from as low as 4.5 to as high as 8.5, then settle somewhere around 8 Mbps.

10/08/2014: My speed improved dramatically after Midnight. I'm now averaging just over 10 Mbps. Obviously there isn't a problem with my line, and this is evening congestion.

10/07/2014: I came home at 6 pm and noticed I was still at 3/768. I reset the modem and when it synced back up it shows I am provisioned at 10/1. However, after doing several speed tests at multiple sites, it shows I am only averaging about 6 Mbps. I was averaging 9.5 Mbps when I had this tier on this same line back in 2011 before going dry loop, and I never had issues with speed drops. I will test again after 11 pm. I have a feeling this is congestion in the Verizon network.

10/02/2014: I received a promotional email today offering Regional Essentials bundled with 7.1-15 Mbps DSL for $44.99 a month for 24 months. I'm currently paying $36.99 a month just for 3 Mbps dry loop. I've been capped at 3 Mbps since I went dry loop in 2011, and wasn't allowed to order anything faster, even though I had 10 Mbps before I dropped voice service. I am not getting my hopes up. With Verizon anything is possible. My service ready date is set for October 7th. I'll update again after the order is processed.

09/09/2014: Still experiencing severe congestion issues in the evening, between 5-11 pm. My stats don't change, latency is normal, but my download speeds drop sometimes below 1 Mbps. Upload speeds are normal at all times. Then after 11 pm, things go back to normal with the download speed. Calls to tech support are still just a waste of time.

07/25/2014: I've been noticing severe speed drops during the evening hours that started back at the beginning of the month. From about 5-11 pm my speed is dropping from my usual 2.8 Mbps to less than 1 Mbps. Then after 11 pm, it's back to my normal 2.8. Obviously my CO is so full that when most people are home using their connections in the evening, we all see congestion issues. I called Verizon last week and didn't get anywhere. Which is not surprising. Their normal response is unplug everything. Wash, rinse, repeat.

10/30/2013: Nothing new to report. Connection has been rock solid with the exception of a few short outages lasting no more than an hour.

member for 12 years, 2247 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

biotech

@66.249.113.x

Cost of Verizon?

Since I'm in Ma Bell's area (AT&T), how much does Verizon charge for POTS and DSL? I wonder if they charge less than $60 because Ma Bell charges me $81 just for 6mbps internet and POTS service

Re: Cost of Verizon?

$44.99 is the advertised promotion right now for 3mbit to 15mbit DSL (best effort) + Regional Calling only in VA with a 2 year contract.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

They just recently started offering this promo to me here in MD, so I took advantage of it. Interestingly until now, they've had my line capped at 3 Mbps since early 2011 and wouldn't allow me to order anything faster, until this past week. The site suddenly allowed me to order the 7.1-15 Mbps tier. I was provisioned at 10/1 due to my distance.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Please report back if there are any congestion issues. Going by your recent review updates VZ is not doing too well.

Perhaps VZ found an excuse to finally install more backhaul or another DSLAM? (a miracle) Or they just gave up and now pretend to offer higher speeds with no backing for it.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

It appears they brought in more backhaul to the tower for LTE. I saw some Verizon vans in the area of the CO late last month which is next door to the cell tower in town. Most likely because more people are upgrading to LTE data plans. I assume they finally lifted their cap on DSL at 3 Mbps. My neighbor in my same apartment building said he was also able to put through an order for 10 Mbps yesterday, which hadn't allowed him since he moved here four years ago, and he also was stuck on 3 Mbps.

·Charter
I'm still having congestion issues. My speed has been hovering around 2 Mbps this entire evening since about 5 pm. Then shortly after midnight it picked up again, and now I'm getting 9.7 Mbps. It's almost like it's automated at scaling back speeds between 5 pm - midnight, because like clock work around 12:00-12:05 am, it picks up and it will stay at my full rate until 5 pm the next evening. Then I'm stuck with 2-2.5 Mbps again until midnight.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Do you know if the Comcast takeover of the broken Charter system in your area is going to happen for sure or not?

Have you considered T-Mobile wireless data, at least as a backup? They have strong HSDPA signal and possibly LTE in your town apparently. On an old AT&T iPhone 4 which only supports a little bit of the T-Mob network I can generally pull 5mbit down, 2 up with low pings (60-100) which is pretty great for 3G. If T-Mobile has LTE in your town, that will kill the rather laggard DSL and Cable competition - speeds ranging from 20mbit to 35mbit, with low pings.

Its worth a try, pick up a cheap LTE supported Android device to use for tethering, and test it out. No contract. Even though Tethering is not supported for unlimited (its capped at like 4gb) apps can get around that...

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Still no word on the Comcast takeover here. The last article I saw about it in the local paper was back in August, and it was still in the pending phase. I'm not so sure that's a done deal. It's been held up by the FCC for more input from consumer groups and states.

I have 3G for a backup on my cell which acts as as hotspot. I don't use it unless I'm out and about or if my DSL line goes down. My Verizon line rarely goes down, it's just slow during the evening. It's frustrating because I waited 4 years for Verizon to lift the cap at 3 Mbps, and when they do, now they have a problem with congestion, making getting 10 Mbps pointless since I rarely get above 3 Mbps from 5 pm - midnight.

I had Tim_K look into it for me and he said I'm on a congested line and that my DSLAM has been oversold. He said the only thing I can do is try to get someone at Verizon to move my line to a less congested one, if there even is one to put me on, or hope Verizon upgrades my DSLAM. I think we all know that Verizon isn't about to spend a red cent on upgrading their copper plant.

·Charter
I'm paying $36.99 for 3 Mbps (my line will support 10 Mbps but they capped my central office at 3 Mbps because the CO is full), and another $5.92 for voice which I'm required to take. I only have the minimum voice service. Basically dial tone service and all local outgoing calls are .10 cents each. I never use it. I don't even have a phone hooked up to the line. By the time they add the absurd fees and taxes to the voice service that $5.92 becomes $18.01. For a total of $55 a month.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

That is just embarrassing for Verizon to have a CO that cant handle the load of customers. They earn billions and do nothing.

Its just like their 4 CO's nearby me with no broadband of any sort.

They get too much credit for FIOS.

4 edits

Re: Cost of Verizon?

I totally agree. They just don't care about landline/DSL anymore. They want to focus on wireless where they are making record profits. I actually had 10 Mbps for over a year. Until my promo expired so I called in to scale back my voice service to the minimum.

So they used that opportunity to drop my line back to 3 Mbps. Even though the rep I spoke to said I would keep 10 Mbps. I spent the next several months speaking to at least 30 reps and 10 supervisors all to no avail. All I did was waste several months of my time.

They kept me at 3 Mbps and to add insult to injury, still had the nerve to charge me the same $36.99 a month for 3 Mbps that I was paying for 10 Mbps. Apparently that's what 25 years of loyal service as a customer gets you with the new Verizon.
xQim

join:2003-09-20
·Fairpoint Commun..

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Upload speed for DSL in 2014 should be a minimum of 1Mbps unless it is Annex M which should be close to 3.5Mbps. Sorry for your stone age DSL service. And to think it was supposed to be superior to cable.

Where is SDSL, VDSL, IDSL (Distance), Annex M, and bonded DSL? America is in a sad state of broadband. I still cannot believe Romania's slowest package is faster and cheaper than any American package.

Re: Cost of Verizon?

Verizon is cheap. They still have ADSL1 DSLAM's around which is rather horrifying. A lot of these were in the footprint dumped off on Frontier.

Rather than upgrade DSLAM's or deploy FIOS, they sell LTE as the solution. Its more the solution for their money pile.
OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA
At&t uverse VDSL can do 6mbps upload
OpTiC
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA
Also Century Link VDSL pair bonding can do 50 mbps dsl.