Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by camaro97 See Profile

• Location: Dillsburg,York,PA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Used to be fast and speeds delivered within my contracted range"
Bad "Speeds stink, India customer service, 'run around', oversold capacity"
Overall "Avoid if you can. If you have no other choice, I'm sorry! Satellite would have to be better!"

I considered all options before Verizon DSL, and unfortunately, it became my only option. My cable service was Adelphia, who was in bankruptcy and had no HSI service. Satellite was okay, but the trees on my property prohibited consistent connection.

Then low and behold, FIOS trucks in the area!! And an article shows up in the township newsletter that FIOS is coming!! Rejoice!! But wait! Two Verizon switching stations provide township service, and only the one gets FIOS. Service stops 1/2 mile from my home. Verizon confirms that there are no plans to upgrade my switching station to FIOS (even though the other switching station already offered DSL, and now offers FIOS)

So I opt to ask about DSL for me. Verizon indicates service NOT available in my area! Fortunately, the Commonwealth of PA has a bona fide retail request program. My neighbors and I petition the PUC to require Verizon to install DSL service in our area. 2 years later, we finally have DSL (the law required within 12 months unless the telecom petitions back indicating hardship, then they get one additional year). So 24 months after asking, DSL is made available.

For the first 14 months, the service was acceptable. When working I got consistent 3 Mbps downloads throughout the day, morning and night, experiencing only a few hiccups here and there with line issues, outages, etc as they fixed the old lines in the area. I spent a good probably 30 hours of time in a year on the line with India customer service, so at least my listening skills have improved, and I have the Verizon troubleshooting scripts memorized.

Then January of this year, I noticed very slow download only times after 7 PM at night (slow since my package is priced based upon speeds of 1.5 - 3 Mbps, and my speed tests were delivering results ranging from .3 - .6 Mbps). So I call customer service. After a 2 hour wait, and a 1/2 hour troubleshooting session, I'm told it is my modem. A new Westell 7500 arrives to solve the problem. However, the problem persists.

Call back, line tests (again) are run, I reiterate that the problem occurs IN THE EVENING, they send a tech to the house at 4:00 PM, hours before the problem occurs. As expected, the line tests are fine, the problem isn't in my line, I'm told it is at the Central Office.

Through DSL reports, I reached a competent tech who tried to keep the troubleshooting progressing. After EVERY service call I placed, Verizon closed it without ever asking me or verifying resolution of the issue.

After the last time a tech arrived, he pointed out to me that as Verizon has offered faster packages, the speed issues (especially east coast) have exponentially increased. He suggested that I petition for a router change. I do, and now I'm told that it's a capacity issue, there's no other router to move me to. Verizon continues to deny that there is any problem with my service, to this date.

So the expectation apparently now is that I'm being charged for a 3 Mbps download package, and being provided only about .6 Mbps, and I'm to pay full price.

So anyone considering Verizon DSL, remember their advertising of "And you'll get a dedicated line from our central office to your home so your service won't slow down just because your neighbors are online - That’s right—consistent speeds!" is only partially true. You do get a dedicated line to their Central Office, but they oversell the capacity of the Central Office and your speed will go down when your neighbors are online. Not because of you sharing a line, but due to insufficient and oversold capacity on the Verizon end.

So you pay $35 a month for 1.5 - 3 Mpbs DSL service, and if you are lucky enough to be home during the day, you can enjoy speeds in your contracted package price. But if you want to use your HSI in the evening, you'll pay for a minimum of 1.5Mpbs, and get, if you're lucky, 1/3rd of that speed.

Comments: