Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by MarkDeutsch See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "When it finally is set up properly, it works"
Bad "They reduced speed by half without advance notice - in effort to force move to FIOS (but they don't offer FIOS to my building)"
Overall "$34.95 for 1.54 mbps is not a good value. Look elsewhere"

I ran a speed test today and noticed that my line,which had been provisioned for 7 mbps downloads (6 mbps actual) was running at 1.54 mbps down.

I called Verizon and was told the following by various people in billing and tech support:

- Billing Rep: My line is provisioned at 7 mbps and that is what I am currently receiving

- Billing Rep #2: My line is provisioned at up to 15 mbps and if I am not receiving that, I should talk to tech support

- Tech Support: My line is not capable of being provisioned at anything faster than 3 mbps.

- Billing Rep #3: Same as above. Insisted I have never rec'd anything faster than 3 mbps, although he has no records to confirm his assertion.

- Billing Manager: Never got on the phone and never called me later, as was promised he would.

- Billing Rep #4: Upon my request, reviewed account notes and discovered note that said my line was provisioned a year ago at a range between 4 and 7 mbps. Said that speed is no longer available. When I asked why, I was told this happens frequently when FIOS comes into an area and they want to encourage (force) people to switch to it ("force" is my word, not rep's). Unfortunately, FIOS is not available in my building so I cannot switch to it.

Bottom line:

1. Verizon reduced my speed by more than half without advance notice and without reducing my monthly fee. About a year ago, they conveniently stopped specifying on my invoice the speed I am purchasing. In my (layman's) opinion, this is legally actionable (I would welcome input from a consumer law attorney).

2. Based upon the conversations above, the Verizon reps are either incompetent or they are providing inaccurate information intentionally (presumably at the direction of Verizon management).

Comments:

socal VZW cu

@verizon.net

speed cheater

I could have written the same chronology as above, with minor differences (too small to really note) except the billing dept. in my case "re-submitted" a lost speed increase request on Feb 27th(on record), then gave me a confirmation #. I pay 46$ for 7mbps...and am getting 1.53mbps.