Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by rloteck See Profile

• Location: Gilroy,Santa Clara,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Fast ordering process, which is about it!"
Bad "Support sucks, and DSL speeds really slow at 2mbs per sec"
Overall "I really had no choice but Verizon, since I am in a Verizon only area."

This is my first time dealing with Verizon in Gilroy since I moved from San Jose where I had AT&T, and I would have to say that my experience with Verizon has been a nightmare to say the least.

In January when I moved to Gilroy after I got married with my wife, I wanted to get a good DSL service provider, so I looked around, and I found Verizon, which was my only choice. After I signed up for their DSL service I was sent my modem, and I was on my way to getting high speed DSL. WRONG. First, the DSL speeds sucks in Gilroy, I only get may be 2mb per sec, and then, the service is not very reliable.

However, that is not the worse part, when I called teach support to help me setup the DSL Westell 6100 modem under bridge mode, I found my self in the twilight zone, since no one know crap about networking. Nevertheless, I gave them a chance to help me configure the modem to support bridge mode as shown on this link: »www22.verizon.com/Support/Reside···3756.htm, however, after hours of trying, and 5 calls to different people, the modem would not assign me an IP address. I tried attaching a Linksys router, my Cisco Firewall, and my computer, but nothing worked. I finally gave up on Verizon teach support, since they could not figure out what was going on. At this point, I took matters into my own hands by testing the DSL link while the modem was under the bridge mode configuration, and I found that the Verizon DSL server was not replying to my DHCP requests for a IP lease. When I discovered this, I called the DSL support team again, and they opened a trouble ticked to see what was happening. After 4 days of waiting for a support person to call me, one finally did, and only tried to help me setup up the modem to work under bridge mode again. At this point, I had it. I asked to speak to a US based support person, since the support team that was helping me did know enough about basic networking to understand how DHCP worked.

After being placed on hold for 30min's, I was transferred to premium support where they told me it would cost 10 buck a month for support. And of course there was a catch, I had to commit to 10 months of service.

I would NOT recommend Verizon, they really need to work on their support model, and DSL service speeds.

Comments: