Verizon Online DSL page on DSLReports

Review by Bumble See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Connection was usually fine, when available"
Bad "Abyssmal service and reliability"
Overall "With great broadband, avoid DSL but above all, avoid Verizon"

[edit] The review software states I joined this week, but I have been a long-time Verizon DSL customer in the past. This is *not* the reason I joined this forum.

Some people, I know, just cannot afford broadband. This is unfortunate, but still remains true. DSL is their only viable option. However, Verizon is not a great option.

In my neighborhood, which is on a hill, whenever it even *thought* about rain, DSL would fail. Sometimes altogether, sometimes down to 56K modem speed. This is more than just aggravating, it's abyssmal.

Tech support would always make you jump thru the same hoops: turn off your computer, blah blah blah. Oh you have a Mac, you can't do *that*, blah blah blah. Reading from a standard script and not really knowing much of anything.

Verizon is pushing FiOS only these days. Their POTS lines are being left in the dust, which surprises me because they are a cash cow for them: $50-90/month for *nothing*. Just the basics if you compare to the feature rich environment of VoIP.

If you want off DSL, research cable companies in your area if they can provide internet-only service. The straw that broke the camel's back with me on Verizon DSL was when they were *upping* the rate from $35/month to $45 and *lowering* my speed from 1.5Mbs to 1Mbs.

For $50/month, I get 10up/1down with cable. It was a slam-dunk. Plus now I can get Netflix (or other) and watch w/o commercials. OK, the shows are not always current, but..

Comments: