AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by ender7074 See Profile

• Location: House Springs,Jefferson,MO
Good "It allows a little bit of internet use"
Bad "Just about everything"
Overall "AT&T is an awful company in both service and quality."

My wife and I built a new house. Unfortunately, we have to deal with AT&T as there is no other provider in the area. I ordered the service online and selected the $10 internet option with expediated shipping. I never received a modem. I had to buy one from Best Buy and AT&T refuses to credit the modem back to me. More on that later. We moved into the new house and the guy came out and installed the phone line with no problems. The internet is a whole different story. To start off, I was only getting 180k. For about a week it was this bad. I called their worthless support and got the service I expected. The lady in India was extremely hard to understand and basically knew nothing about what she was doing. I asked her initially if the modem was provisioned correctly and she said yes. I also asked a few other tech questions that she was unable to answer as well. To make a long story short, she blamed the router. Now the router wasnt even hooked up but somehow it was causing the problem. I then demanded a sup but all I got was a tier 2 guy. He was marginally better. He did find that the modem was provisioned incorrectly, like I suspected, and fixed that but then proceeded to have me make multiple changes in the modem that caused it not to work at all. I let him go and proceeded to fix it to work again.

So now 2 months go by and I am paying only for the service, as they have still not credited the modem they never sent to me back. I keep getting disconnect notices because I refuse to pay for a piece of equipment I didnt receive. Their billing people are awful. The internet support people are worse. I never thought I'd be saying this but I can't wait for Charter to put lines into my new subdivision.

***UPDATE***

After fighting with the people in billing for 3 months, I waved the white flag and paid for the modem that I was never sent. I did this under duress and with the threat of disconnection. So far, not a single manager I have asked for has called me back and no one is billing will do anything about the fact that AT&T just stole 70 dollars from me. Tech support continues to be a complete waste of time unless you demand a tier 2 tech. The quality of service jumps quite a bit once one of those guys take over. One positive thing is they upgraded my line. I can now get 6 meg up from 768k. Seems ok so far but I havent had a chance to put it to the test yet.

**Update 7/25/08**

Once again, my modem has been reprovisioned. It was tooling along at 4.5 meg (pathetic since I'm paying for 6meg) when the connection dropped. When it came back up it was back to 768k. This is absolutely rediculous. They still haven't returned the money for the modem that I was charged for and never received and this is the 4th time that they have reprovisioned my modem for no reason. I never thought I'd say this but I cant wait to get Charter back. Not once in 5 years of having them did I have these problems. AT&T is awful. I will be filing complaints with the BBB and other agencies about their terrible service.

**Update 5/22/09**

Service is still awful. I end up calling the god-awful technical support about every 4-5 weeks about my connection going up and down. They escalate a case to some other group and they rarely fix it and never answer the phone number that they gvie to get back to them. I've given up on getting back the money they stole from me. They flat out refuse to refund the money and every time I bring it up they just transfer me around to different departments until someone just drops me. I get about 3-4 meg out of my, supposedly, 6 meg connection. Pathetic. I can't wait for the day that I can go to any other service than this pile of garbage that AT&T calls an internet connection.

**Update 3/2/10**

Service continues to be awful. The intermittent connection is getting worse. Instead of getting a few weeks of decent connection (not constant just decent). Online games are unplayable. Constant disconnects prevent any kind of enjoyable gaming experience. Netflix streaming is useless. Even uploading files for school is an effort in futility. Many times I have to go to my parents house and use their cable connection to send in projects that are due. Phone support is worthless. I've had techs out the each claim to fix the problem but then a few days later... well, the cycle repeats. I've looked into other providers but AT&T is all I can get. I need to find a corporate complaint route for AT&T but none seem to be available. This service is beyond awful. Oh, and forget about credit unless you want the transfer run around. Disgusting company with awful service.

member for 7.6 years, 1476 visits, last login: a few hours ago