AT&T Midwest page on DSLReports

Review by Dolphin See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Cook,IL
Good "Good Package for Price"
Bad "Lack of coordination between sales and technical support"
Overall "Service has improved -- don't remember the last time I couldn't connect."

I ordered the 768/128 package at $29.95 per month (for 12 months). Equipment included an Efficient SpeedStream 5160 DSL modem, filters, and installation CD. Equipment arrived approximately 3 days before activation date.

The actual ordering process was thorough and painless. The salesperson answered all my questions (I had quite a few questions) and she seemed relatively knowledgeable about technical details. Install (I opted for self-install) was a breeze and took less than 15 minutes. The exception to a completely painless install was the "registration" process. The "registration" page didn't work and I had to call tech support to be re-directed to an alternative mean of registration. After that, I was up and surfing at reasonably good speeds. In general, tech support has been friendly & helpful but there is certainly room for improvement.

I was not pleased with the confusion between sales and technical support. When I ordered DSL, the sales rep. gave me an activation date. Well, fortunately, I called *before* the activation date just to make sure. Good thing I did call. I was told that my activation date was different than the original date I'd been given. I wasn't pleased with that snafu. I was given a different activation date and that one stuck.

After installation I encountered a problem with accessing certain websites. My call to technical support was not very helpful. They could not solve the problem. Eventually, I resolved the issue myself (with the help of members at the DSLReports website). That doesn't bode well for people that are less technically savvy than I and aren't aware of DSLReports website. Connectivity has been relatively good despite some mail server issues. At times (not very many), I was not able to receive email and *that* is NOT acceptable.

I spite of the difficulties I've encountered, at this point, I'm still pleased with AT&T's DSL service.

UPDATE: I was pleased and surprised to get a promotional rate (with a speed upgrade with NO price increase! )

Since my last review, I have had no problems with receiving email and no dropped connections. I have had to contact tech support a couple of times but I do not call in for support. Instead, I go to the "Ameritech" forum here for support. The support I've received in the forum has been excellent. My questions and issues were addressed immediately by the techs in the forum. My accolades go to the techs for fantastic customer support! Many users would be lost without their help. If you have a problem, just send an IM to one of the techs at the Ameritech forum and they will get back with you. I sent an IM to a tech in the forum and he got back to me within 15 minutes! Now, that's support at it's best!

Update: I'm pleased with the service and the price. Recently got re-rated at the same price -- actually, I'm paying a little less. Downtime is rare and that's a big PLUS.

Update: Ameritech is now AT&T. So far, I can't recall the last time I was unable to connect (of course, I'm very pleased about that). Recently, I thought about switching back to cable. But I thought again and decided not to switch because I remembered how frustrated I was when my cable speed deteriorated during evening hours when everyone on my block was sharing bandwidth!

member for 12 years, 3994 visits, last login: a few hours ago