AT&T Midwest page on DSLReports

Review by RadioDoc See Profile

• Location: La Grange,Cook,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Flawless installation, excellent pricing"
Bad "Hardly any these days"
Overall "Ready for prime time, would recommend to anyone"

Update 07.03.12 Over 12 years, wow. Managed to beat them down to $19.95 at home and $34.99 at work for 6016/768 (at some point they tacked on another 160 kbps upload on the office account). Life is still good.

Update 11.18.08 The mystery edits and deletions continue. AT&T DSL is its same old reliable self.

Update 05.23.07 6016/768 $27.99/mo at home as well. Life is good.

Update 09.19.06 Still pluggin along with my 6016/608 $45/mo grandfathered deal but alas since this is at a commercial address I am not eligible for the 6016/768 upgrade unless I want to pay $10 more. Not gonna happen. As an aside, portions of this review have been deleted by certain site moderators. Does that seem honest to you?

Update 12.04.05 Everything's still peachy DSL-wise, but this site has gone to hell.

Update 2005-06-10: One year came and went in an pleasantly uneventful way. Same speeds, same price, as promised, without having to do anything.

There. Now maybe this annoying website will leave me alone for another six months.

Update 2004-12-08: Six megs for $45 a month and all is still well, waiting for my upload to increase from 608 to 768 kbps.

Update 2004-03-23: Upgraded to 6016/608 for an extra $5 a month in February and haven't looked back. Six megs for $45 a month and all is well.

Update 2003-12-05: Switched to Lineshared in September, which took five days from order to surf and I just moved the router to the new line after installing a POTS splitter, and was just upgraded (free!) to 1536/384 for the same price. Things are still running smooth as silk. Connectivity can't get much better than this...no outages in over 24 months, zero downtime. Life online is good.

Update 2003-05-28: Well, three years have come and gone and the service keeps getting better and better. I recently went over four months without so much as a PPPoE logoff (same IP address the whole time) and the problems from before are nothing but a bad memory. Usenet services are still mediocre if you are addicted to binaries but I don't use them anyway. Mail has become pretty much bulletproof and the last DNS server issue was over a year ago. Plus, the 1-year contract pricing these days is great ($40/mo for 1500/256 dynamic). SBC-Yahoo 'added value services' quite frankly, suck.

Update 2002-12-04: The SBC Borg are circling the Ameritech region and are preparing to 'transition' us to SBC Yahoo!DSL. Ya-hoo. Just what we all needed...a chance for multiple simultaneous account hosings. Those of us who still have unbundled loops have been told in no uncertain terms that our days are limited and if we make any changes at all we lose the line. That's really customer-friendly! I wonder which Harvard MBA came up with the idea to piss off the most loyal (and cash-cow) customers by threatening them with disconnection if they dare call in and volunteer to spend more money.

But I digress...

The service itself continues to be better than average, and the Chicago network at least has been flawless. No persistent latency issues, proactive rather than reactive re-routing and "re-peering" when necessary, and generally stable service. Tech support has improved greatly, and the addition of official sanctioned SBC support in the forums here is brilliant. There may be hope afterall.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it all over again especially at this price point. Now, about that 4000/384 package I can't get because of an arbitrary distance limit...

Update 2002-03-26: Almost another year of Ameritech DSL service, and much progress has been made towards network stability, reliability and general usefulness of the service. New pricing brought a dynamic IP 1500/256 package for $59.95 and 1500/256 w/5 static IPs for $79.95, which Ameritech allowed existing customers to upgrade to (which I did). Not the greatest pricing but headed in the right direction. Previously it cost $180/mo to get above 768/128 speeds. I now routinely get 1300/245 usable payload "speed". Latency is stable and low, 40 ms to DSLReports NJ servers, 35 ms to the line monitor server in NYC. UU.net was dumped in favor of Sprintlink for most of the backbone connectivity this month, which has knocked off a couple of hops and 10 ms.

News servers are still essentially useless, and capped at 128 kbps to boot. Mail is getting better but has a way to go before I would consider relying on it, and tech support was consolidated at the beginning of the year and is starting to improve. New regional DNS servers have pretty much eliminated the DNS problems we had, although they continue to push incorrect addresses via PPPoE at times.

Bottom line, still not the greatest but definitely worth the $60/mo.

Update 2001-04-21: It's been an interesting almost-year with the service. We had major problems in Chicago with authentication, peering and generally unstable service. However, some serious upgrading of the network and servers was done in February 2001 and the service has been very good since then. No random disconnects, latency in the mid-50's and consistent speeds. My 1-year contract is up next month, but I plan to continue on with the service month-to-month. Overall it was worth the early annoyances.

Original review:

Ordered Speedpath 768/128 (basic, PPPoE, $39.95/mo for first year, free equipment and installation) 4/27/00 with a scheduled install on 5/25 from 1-3 PM. Ameritech.net was the only company willing to install ADSL to my commercial office address without charging over $100/mo. Order was confirmed by fax within an hour of phoning it in. Dialup access, besides being slow, was costing over $30/mo in local charges (Ameritech charges business lines per minute). So, this was a wash cost-wise. We use internet access for email, web browsing, FTP, etc., with no on-site servers.

Ameritech got the physical line to the outside NI May 8. Telamon tech called May 22 wanting to test the line. It tested at 9300 feet, capable of 6.6 mb down and 600 kb up, ready for final install. Another Telamon tech calls May 25 around 11 AM asking if he can come early. I already had wired from the NI to the computer location, so all he did was install a jack and connect the Westell Wirespeed modem to the jack and the NIC already in the computer. Loaded up Enternet 300, called his support people to set up the account, surfed around a bit, checked speed (720 kb down, 130 kb up), had me sign the papers and was out the door at 11:35 AM. My time so far: less than an hour total. Five minutes after he left, I bagged Enternet and installed my Linksys router.

Around June 1, 2000 the bottom fell out. Ameritech.net's upstream provider, UUNet, had major congestion problems at Ameritech.net's Chicago connection and throughput became unusable between 3 PM and midnight on weekdays, dropping below 56 kb on many occasions. Calls and emails to tech support were variably met with a polite "thank you for calling" and no information to a refreshing acknowledgment of exactly what was going on, what was being done about it, and when it might be fixed. After two weeks, it became obvious that they wanted it fixed as much as I did but were at the mercy of UUNet and upper management at Ameritech.net. You could hear it in their voices.

June 21, speeds shot back up to normal, ping times fell below 100 ms to most sites, and best of all remained stable. The fix was implemented about a week later than I was originally told but they did get it done, and three days before my 30-day bailout period expired. Through all this I have never had a connection drop nor had line problems.

My installation experience was flawless. The throughput problem, though avoidable through better planning, was fixed. Tech support hold times were around 15-20 minutes (weekday mornings). FTP speeds now routinely exceed 750 kb, and I am satisfied overall. I hope Ameritech.net learned a thing or two about providing ADSL internet service and can keep it up.

Comments: