AT&T Midwest page on DSLReports

Review by jmmilner2 See Profile

• Location: Yorkville,Kendall,IL
Good "Cheaper than cable if you don't need much bandwidth"
Bad "Support slightly dumber than a box of rocks"
Overall "Expect to be your own tech support"

Over the years I've used dialup (once upon a time that was the best available), WOW, Comcast, and now AT&T DSL. I'd still be using WOW for both internet and TV if they provided service in my current location. At my current location I can get Comcast, AT&T DSL, and perhaps U-Verse (effective this month per a letter I just got). I'm out of range for Clear.

While I started with Comcast, I downgraded to AT&T DSL as the economy when south in 2008. Service was OK at 3.0Mbps (closer to 2.4Mbps actual) as I don't stream videos and can wait for the occasional multi-gigabyte Microsoft betas to download. However, when the service goes south, dealing with tech support is a exercise in futility.

The most recent two outages, which occurred two days in a row, where due to facilities issues between my area and the local (Elmhurst) PPP servers. Both times the India-based support people, limited by the scripts they are required to follow, ran me around changing DSL passwords (twice each time) which didn't change the fact that my DSLAM wasn't connecting to the PPP server (as clearly indicated in the modem's tech readouts). The first tech finally gave up and wrote a ticket which was later attached to the facilities outage ticket. The second tech, apparently more sure of herself, insisted the problem was confined to my line but eventually wrote a ticket. I finally got connected to a U.S. based facilities management group after the second outage and they were able to confirm that both outages where in fact "group" (I call them area) outages - which was no surprise to me as the other IT guy in town and I were both buried both days by customers without DSL service. Even those customers with business class service got the same runaround.

At the moment I'd very reluctant to recommend AT&T DSL to the small businesses I support, especially if they don't have any backup alternate. Any notion I might have had of trying U-Verse for CATV is right out the window and I'm left with the sorry "choice" of returning to Comcast for internet and going to DirecTv for video.

Comments:

David
Granite City, IL

you can always post in the direct forum

You can always post in the direct forum if you wish. No Tier 1 script kiddies needed. Most we may ask you to do is confirm it with a different modem, but if 2 modems give the same results I would start checking internally.

Re: you can always post in the direct forum

Lost all service last week for 30 hours but I doubt you could have helped - new builder in my subdivision got some lots very cheap and started digging. On his second lot he pulled up a 100 pair cable in a lot between two homes that my builder didn't have any trouble with. AT&T insisted it was a problem with just my line, that they would have to dispatch to test my loop, while all my neighbors got the same run-around.

I gave AT&T the lot number and street address of the cable cut within a hour of the cut (11:00 am) but they didn't even roll a truck till the next day.

What Lily Tomlin said many years ago remains true to this day: "We don't care. We don't have to. We're the Phone Company."

Re: you can always post in the direct forum

If you have all of that send that to me. typically I can track down who that is within a few hours.

Re: you can always post in the direct forum

Service in back but slower than ever. When from 2.4Mb to less than 2.0Mb (and once 600Kb) after the feeder cable was spliced back together. While my modem (Speedstream 4100 this week) claims my maximum download bandwidth (possible, not provisioned) was 9Mb before the cut and is now 8Mb, I'd expect the DSLAM could reshuffle the bits per bin and still make good on the old speed. I can swap out modems as I have Motorola 2210s on hand but I'm thinking it won't help.

Re: you can always post in the direct forum

Another day, another cable cut, another speed drop. This time AT&T just moved me to another pair as the cable wasn't completely cut. While this did get me back up in hours instead of days, I'm now getting 1.0Mb downloads, half of what I got after the last cut and only 1/3 of what I'm paying for. Between the new construction in my neighborhood, the road work in my town, and AT&T's "let it rot" approach to copper loops, I don't expect the outside plant will ever improve. The tech did say that the U-Verse customers on the same 100 pair cable I'm on will really suffer since the bonding (grounding) of the cable is shot. At least with the drought, I won't have to worry about wet pairs till next spring, assuming I don't punt AT&T.

Granite City, IL
what construction is going on? if I may ask.

Re: you can always post in the direct forum

Update - so far the approved AT&T repair for the now bare 100 pair cable is a wooden pallet over the hole.

Construction summary:
1) new homes in my formerly mothballed subdivision
2) widening rt 47 to four lanes through Yorkville to Sugar Grove - so far most of the utility polls have be moved, the gas main moved, and business signs relocated - actual road work is "any day"
3) new high pressure gas main along rt 34 from Plano to Yorkville (so far)