CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by FarmerBob See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Nothing since the merger."
Bad "Everything since the merger."
Overall "I have moved to Xfinity and don't regret it!"

·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
10/19/13.

I don't remember writing on the 11th. Just 8 days ago. And if I did I would have written this: I have a neighbor that has all the Internet toys I have and uses them on CL DSL. What a mess. He just won't move to Comcast for real Internet. And since he's looking to "cut the cord", he'll need a good Internet connection. After the big rains he had, he had service issues and they came out and cleaned up 40 years of junk wiring, which I did on my own years ago, and did some new fangled thing to split the DSL and telco at the user box (which is done in the modem a couple of feet further on). Makes no sense to any one what they did, but it did nothing for his service. So unless this is for a surprise upgrade, as I have read that they are doing, the work done seems irrelevant.

So in this conclusion, some services are better than others, and it all looks to be the luck of the draw AND the hope that they don't do anything once you're set.

UPDATE: 10/11/13:

So glad I left CenturyStink. Don't believe a thing they say or advertise. They are slowly dying and the industry analysts say it's only a matter of time.

UPDATE: 12/16/11:

Going on a week with my new service and all is very well. All the issues that I had with my VoIP service are gone with no packet loss now. General access to the Internet is lightening fast and very stable compared to CL. After all, a stable connection is better than a fast one. I have both now.

All is good so far. Will be having the telco shut down and removed this week. 5 less cables running to the house and for me to worry about.

UPDATE 12/10/11:

Just had Xfinity installed this afternoon. OMG!!! What a difference and at a fraction of the price. If this does not turn out to be a dream and things stay "groovy", this is going to fantastic.

Buh Bye, Qwest/CL. It's been . . .

UPDATE 12/7/11:

I was put on the new FTTN in our area 10/10 at a new "faster" speed and all was perfect. Except for being told the change would cost $5 a month and the bill shows $15. Right after CL took over in our area, last Spring, early Summer, I had a two day blackout and since my service has been crap. A TTU agent has tried to do whatever she could but no joy. Both UL and DL speeds are all over the place from 1Mbps to 24Mbps (so I know that great speeds are available and work), suppose to have 12, and service is severely unstable. VoIP will not work, web and mail are really slow now.

So . . . at the end of the month I will be moving to, dare I say it, Comcast. Better speeds, better pricing. I have three new neighbors, one has a Home Automation company and none would consider CL. I can live with the caps for the time being and was told that my account could be easily changed to a No Cap Business Account and possibly with better pricing for fast service.

I have a Qwest review that's more inclusive re-posted below.

UPDATE (11/26/11):
Comcast is installing on Tuesday. Can't wait. Also just got eMails from three neighbors that are between me and the CO (3318'), so they are closer to the CO and "should" have great service, asking if I had made a decision on moving. Once they heard that I was, they want to now also.

I have never seen such a clusterfrak and ardent "forced" migration from any provider, ever. It's as if CL is trying to intentionally kill off their telco holdings.

UPDATE: Adding last Qwest Review prior to the switchover to CL here in case that area "goes away" . . .

UPDATE (11/20/11):

Well the love stopped. The TTU team seems to be on the outside of actual info after the merger. Due to too many unnecessary complications that have arisen from the CL buyout, I have been forced to find another provider. No stability, speeds from 3Mbps to 24Mbps (am suppose to have 12). Leaving mid-December.

UPDATE (10/10):

Things have changed incredibly for the better. Although it took some ranting in forums which got me noticed by the Talk To Qwest Team that is all over now and who have done nothing but take excellent care of me. These people are sharp, work with and talk to you, not at you. It's quite refreshing and a comforting sign that things are looking up. Considerably. Qwest is coming of age nicely and with it their services and (mostly) support. I'm now at the 12Mbps tier and loving it.

Previous Review:

I had 10 Mbps SDSL with Sprint ION from 1998 to 2002 which was chased away by Qwest by not providing reseller services and right of way guaranteed by law. Sprint said it was easier and cheaper to stop the service than sue. I cried that day. ZERO problems for four years and 10 Mbps SDSL and four Digital Phone Lines for $120 a month. I then fled to several other providers that in the beginning promised the moon, but once again Qwest got in the way and they eventually went away or got real slow and expensive with lots of excuses (Speakeasy). So after years of having to move around Qwest finally offered ADSL at a half way reasonable (bundled) price. After having all the problems that I have had with third party companies not getting the support that they needed from Qwest and the fact that no matter what Qwest was going to be in the "loop", and I would get a far better price for the speed, I went with Qwest. My first indication of trouble should have been the botched install coordination. It took five different Sales Reps to get it right and two of them I knew from having worked there years ago.

In the beginning it was great. After time and growth in my area, my once pristine phone lines that once carried 10 Mbps SDSL, oh I'm 3300 feet from the CO, are all beaten up from the addition of additional lines. So from 10 Mbps, well 7 with Qwest to 4 if I am lucky. The final report was that the lines from the CO to the Crossbox, the first third of the loop, are damaged. But from the Crossbox to the house are perfect. So why won't they fix what they have broken. They won't really say hiding behind their acceptable speed policies. So here I sit at a distance the many would kill for with a service that is mediocre at best. Oh and Fibre won't be coming here for a couple of years since this area is just fine as it is now. Plus it's Fibre to the CO that will not do me any good.

So . . .

member for 13.6 years, 1507 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

revive

regarding the Littleton area

@FarmerBob,
My wife and I are considering moving to the Littleton, CO area (actually considering multiple suburbs around Denver).. and I'm learning about the telco issues from CL down there.. thanks for the posting! On a side note, can you provide any feedback on littleton for us? - lifestyle, weather, summer/winters temps, areas to avoid ??
Thanks so much !!

FarmerBob

join:2000-12-21
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk

said by revive :

Thanks so much !!

Glad my "escapades" with the local Telco were of help to you. It's getting pretty sad around here. And we're suppose to be a tech center.

As far as Littleton, I have lived here most of my life, leaving for a year or two, but always coming back (even from paradise in the Caribbean). I'm a "Colorado Boy", it's something that gets in your blood. I live close to Old Downtown and the area is great. There is a ton of new growth, young professionals and their families or starting families, in this area and it's considered one, if not the most popular in the Front Range. The Downtown area is growing with many new entertainment venues and restaurants recently opened or opening soon. It is a very family and young adult oriented growth, but it's a perfect fit for all ages. It has been said that Littleton is the best place in the U.S. to raise children.

Really no areas to avoid. We're a Southern suburb and are more "down home" than Urban. DT Denver is a few minutes North and we're surrounded by anything you could ever want on a short drive. Then there's the mountains! Weather can range from 94 one day to 6" of snow the next in the middle of January. Just wait 5 minutes, the weather will change. Summers can be hot, Winter cold. The other morning it was 2 below. Last year saw -24. Spring is the best and Summer evenings are great for anything outdoors.

I could easily go on but try this instead:
»www.downtownlittleton.com/
»www.littletongov.org/

Good luck in your travels and searches. And Welcome! You'll Love It!

revive

@FarmerBob,
Thanks for popping back in here to post this reply,.. I really appreciate it! So far, Colorado - especially the Littleton area - has the weather and lifestyle that our family is looking for. We live in Portland, OR now,. so the changing weather is par for the course here (we say the same thing about weather hear, "wait five minutes..."). but the difference is, it's either cloudy and rainy or cloudy and cold.. and we do have a nice spring/summer season (combined) that make up 3 months of the year (yeah, exactly why we want to move!)..

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm planning on taking the family vacation in early April to come and see the area and get a first hand glance at the lifestyle, schools, etc.. really excited!

Have a great Christmas and New Years.. and thanks once again.

Re: regarding the Littleton area

Wish i could get better service than CL but they are the only ISP in my area so i am forced to deal with crappy service. No other ISP is wanting to extend out here so I am doomed to crappy service i guess.

FarmerBob

join:2000-12-21

Re: regarding the Littleton area

I had Xfinity installed yesterday and it's great!! Best move I have ever made. Install was easy, speed is 3X faster down and 6X faster up at a 1/4 of the price.

Buh Bye Qwest/CL. It's been . . .

Re: regarding the Littleton area

but who services that there is no other ISP providers in my area i have checked around and none other than dialup.

@embarqhsd.net
comcast is not in my area only CL
bdray222

join:2004-12-21
Littleton, CO
I live between Ken Caryl & Columbine (great family friendly neighborhood as well btw) and I have the exact opposite situation. Just got CL today a cancelling the X. As I speak I have both today, and my Qwest/CL blows away xfinity/comcast. got a great deal on the the whole CL/DTV package for a whole year to! I just posted a review on it to under the comcast reviews. FYI though, connection Quality/Speed is completely just a matter of where you're located and how new/upgraded that area is.

Well

The same thing kinda happened to me also. Honestly it just your standard tech being lazy. So sometimes you gotta make a few email's to the ceo and your good

I was with xfinity (it was comcast when I had it) once. They always screwed up on my bill for some odd reason.

Hicup

Re: Well

Location is key. My neighborhood gets great service from both. I have been a tech for both companies in the past and they have good / bad neighborhoods.

Yeah exactly.

Your going in blind with isp's

trial and error

@OP: based on your new update. Your neighbor must of gotten pair bonded which stabilizes the line and improves it.

And I read wrong

They must be prepping for a upgrade to fix stuff or idk