Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by voqk726 See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Easy enough for them to set it up"
Bad "Terriblem inconsistent speeds, useless tech support"
Overall "Would never sign another contract with Shaw"

I've been using Shaw internet for 6 months now, and have been blown away by the total inconsistency in connection speed. To touch briefly on "Pre sales information" and "Install Co-ordination", these were both fine - but they also don't really matter. It's not difficult to plug a modem into the wall. The actual internet (what I'm paying for) is terrible - often times I'm unable to load even the most basic webpages, such as Google. Streaming video usually needs to be buffered for at least as long as the video is to watch it (this includes youtube) and downloading movies through iTunes takes forever.

To qualify the above, I have a degree in Computer Science from UBC and work for a major international software company. I also worked throughout college at another major international computer companies retail stores diagnosing internet issues. I'm very qualified to diagnose a problem connection, and the clear source of my problem is Shaw. Whenever I attempt to get them to realize and fix the problem, I get the run-around and no progress is made.

All in all, the tech support is nonexistent, and the service is terrible. The dial-up connection I had in 1999 was more consistent, and comparable in terms of average speed. I will not buy internet from Shaw within the next decade, and past that only if they demonstrate significant improvement. Bottom line: Go elsewhere.

Comments:
kevinds
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

Contract?

Shaw doesn't have contracts.

You may have a 12 month promo, but you can definately cancel anytime.
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

Re: Contract?

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't happy with the support you received. My door is always open on the boards here should you like to discuss anything in the future. Technical or not.

Cheers.
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

Chuck sTruck

@teksavvy.com

This is the real reason

The problem is Canada and the Canadian political system. These problems don't exist in the rest of the world. Unless these isp's are sued to the nines for robbing the Canadian public nothing will change. We are owed hundreds of billions of dollars we've been robbed of in the past.