Time Warner Cable page on DSLReports

Review by jacour See Profile

• Location: Matthews,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Delivers the speed promised"
Bad "Clueless level 1 support, intermittent connection drops"
Overall "Meh"

*** Update July 24, 2013

Not much has changed since the last review. Node is still seriously overloaded and weekend speeds are dismal relative to the advertised speed and weekday performance. If you can't consistently deliver what the customer is already paying for then don't fill the mailbox with promotional flyers for speed upgrades.

*** Updated November 20, 2012 ***

Service is fine . . . most of the time. This node is seriously oversold and performance goes into the toilet on weekends only to return on Monday morning. They clearly don't have enough bandwidth to gracefully handle all the television subscribers and those streaming Netflix between Friday evening and Sunday night. The slowdown is predictably worse in the evening hours with normal performance in the morning and early part of the afternoon.

During the week the glitches are few and far between. We pay for a 30/5 speed tier and a test I ran second ago clocked at 30.9 / 5.08 with a 22ms ping. That is typical; I consistently see weekday speed tests that are spot on the caps with no more than a +/- 5% variation.

*** Original Review ****
TW supplied Uube modem/router was a nightmare piece of gear to work with, and it might have been responsible for the connection drops. Replaced with customer owned Motorola DOCSIS 3 modem and Cisco router and have had not problems.

After provisioning the new customer owned modem (which took way too long), TW did a configuration change that provided the router a non-routable IP. Level 1 tech support assured me that this is the way it is supposed to work then disconnected my call when I asked to be escalated. When I called back I asked for a Level 3 tech who understood what was happening and sorted it out in about 30 seconds.

However, in the course of two phone calls I had to verify the phone number on my account and personal information FIVE times. Seriously? Haven't you people hear of SIP and if you can't configure your call center to use it why the heck are you in the communications business.

Comments:

liberteric

@rr.com

RR Speed at 30/5

I'm not DISPLEASED with it but I'm a little disappointed because the best Download speed I got was 22.35mbps

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC

Re: RR Speed at 30/5

If you are using your own router, call back to tech support and have them place your modem into "bridge mode"; this will allow you to utilize the full speed of your connection.

If your directly connected to the modem, check your NIC card, as it may not be configured properly or able to handle the increased speed.