AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by SlowFITL See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "Absolutely nothing!"
Bad "AT&T refuses to upgrade fiber in the loop (FITL) systems...."
Overall "AT&T is killing off DSL leaving us with NOTHING!"

Update 5/22/14: Inconsistent speeds and the neighborhood remains unupgraded even though it has fiber to the curb! AT&T verified that they are sunsetting DSL next year meaning that I and many others will be left without internet service. AT&T is the biggest bunch of liars I have ever done business with.

Update 3/6/14: AT&T strikes again! They have announced another rate increase! They have done NOTHING to earn a rate increase. The top speed that they can deliver is 6 mb down and 512 k up. $54 for 6 meg DSL in 2014! I'm contemplating disconnecting all together and just going without internet until Mediacom gets cable installed to my neighborhood. I've already terminated my AT&T wireless service and I'm itching to do the same with my home service.

Update 12/15/13: Experiencing slow downs at peak times. During these peak times I see speeds of 3 - 4.5 mbps. AT&T is of no help and at this point I am just waiting on Mediacom to start the expansion that they have confirmed to be in the works. Those of us stuck with the various flavors of fiber in the loop are stuck with pure garbage DSL service from this pitiful excuse of a company. Bottom line.... if AT&T doesn't have U Verse in your area and you have other options run like hell.

Update 9/24/13: Speeds are more consistent over the past month. I am averaging around 5 mbps down which is still pathetic in my opinion, not to mention the upload speed of 420kbps. AT&T better get their ass in gear... Mediacom has confirmed that they are building out our subdivision. If AT&T leaves us with fiber to the curb technology that is outdated and failing Mediacom will pick up the entire subdivision.

Update: Speeds have been wildly fluctuating for nearly a month. My download speeds range from 2 mbps to 5.5 mbps with 3 mbps being the norm. Keep in mind that I am paying for 6 mbps service. I'm sick and tired of AT&T and the endless problems I have with them. The problem lies with the crappy fiber to the curb system that they don't maintain anymore that they won't upgrade. They just continue to milk the situation and take the customer's hard earned money. Crappy service from a cheap ass company.

Update: Connection issues seem to be resolved. The bottom line is that 6 mb DSL simply doesn't cut it anymore. AT&T needs to look themselves in the mirror and ask if they even want to be in the wireline business anymore. If cable were an option I would have been gone years ago.

Frequent outages due to the Marconi DISC*S FTTC system that serves our subdivision. AT&T keeps replacing cards in the pedestal as they keep going out. GET OFF YOUR BUTT AT&T AND REPLACE THESE OLD SYSTEMS! It's no wonder AT&T customers by in large have a negative view of them.

member for 2.6 years, 757 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
lrreed

join:2012-10-12
Albany, GA

att disconnecting

go with actiontec model GT784WN $58 -63.00 on Amazon. Have not had disconnect since installing. If you don't have att password, call tech support, they suppilied it even though I am not using thier Moden/Router. Hope this helps some one. Will not work on u-verse, only 2wire

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

if you need help

Post in the direct forum, we can work on it.
copycat

join:2011-08-28
Tucker, GA

AT&T DSl

Yes it sux, in general. Slow, lags, disconnects, unbelievable. My Clearwire wireless broadband performs batter than AT&T crappy DSL.
sbken

join:2002-03-09
Etowah, NC

1 recommendation

ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

I've had nothing but miserable experience with ATT DSL. My speed is "capped" at 1.3 MB/s (on a good day) because their equipment is at maximum capacity and they have no intention to upgrading. My neighbor dropped their ATT DSL a year ago and recently requested reestablishment of DSL service. ATT refused claiming that "the loop is full" We have no other options in our remote location. I called the ATT President's Office and asked if ATT wasn't required to supply a minimum if DSL service - thinking about my neighbor. The unbelievably arrogant answer was the "Internet service is not guaranteed by the Constitution." I've frequently asked when U-Verse service would be available to me and was told that they had no plans to expand the service in my area. Obviously ATT would rather we just go away.

said by sbken:

It's almost like they were "baiting" you into cancelling your service with that response. As a matter of fact I think they were.

If I were you I would send a return receipt requested snail mail to the CEO , Mr. Randall Stephenson and let him know about this behavior.

I've heard a lot of things but this came from the execitive offices and in any circumstances is NOT ACCEPTABLE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

Randall, you really need to monitor this site because it appears that you have NO clue about the OUTRAGEOUS behavior of your employees.
sbken

join:2002-03-09
Etowah, NC

Re: ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

Being a persistent cuss I've already sent snail mails to my two Senators, the FCC and the FTC. The FTC replied with a form letter, telling me they'll save my letter in their secure database. (Oh wow!) The FCC, as they have done previously, did not reply but sent a copy of my letter to the ATT President's office. As has happened before, the same "gentleman" in the President's office called me and apologized from speaking to me in a condescending manner. He did not promise any improvement to or resolution of the original problem. This afternoon I received a telephone call from one of the Senator's office in Washington, DC and the aide informed me that they were aware of the third-world quality of the U.S. internet. They were working with the FCC to draft new legislation to mandate improved internet service but that ATT and the other major carriers are fighting them. Nevertheless, he said that they might see some improvements/changes in the few couple of years. Don't hold your breath.

P.S. A few years ago I received a thinly-veiled email threat from ATT warning me that that had the authority of terminate my service if I took "harassing" action. They provided a long list of what they considered harassment conditions - obscenity, threats, etc. I've engaged in none of those actions. But they implied that other actions on my part could result in termination of service. So, a letter to Mr. Stephenson could be counter-productive. I'll wait to hear from my other Senator. But I don't expect any improvement in ATT Service in the foreseeable future.

said by sbken:

Sounds like someone in middle management is trying to prevent you from voicing your concerns to someone who can get something done ...like the CEO.

As long as your letter is respectful I see NO reason why you shouldn't let the CEO know about how his underlings are responding to those THAT PAY THEIR SALARIES!

The ONLY reason that other "gentleman" apologized for his behavior is because he knows that it was COMPLETELY UNacceptable behavior and is probably grounds for HIS TERMINATION, if the CEO knew about it. Which the CEO SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS BEHAVIOR.

The critical thing is that you must send that letter
"return receipt requested, to be opened ONLY by Mr. Randall Stephenson CEO of ATT. "

Re: ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

The problem with AT&T is management. They are completely uncoordinated. It's a classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. The best thing that could happen is for the wireline business to be spun off.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19

Re: ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

Soon as they find a buyer with $1 trillion dollars it's sold.
They want 100% wireless and cant wait to drop all landlines.

Re: ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

The imagined unending profit goldmine with wireless won't last forever, considering how the main street economy is stumbling more than even now, (wages stagnant or dropping due to inflation) price of staples going up, gas ect...most consumers are at the tipping point of what they can afford to spend on NONessential items, and internet is one of them.

DataRiker
join:2002-05-19

1 recommendation

Re: ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

Anything Randall Stephenson can do for another steak dinner.

ATT is the absolute bottom of the dumpster.

said by DataRiker:

ATT is the absolute bottom of the dumpster.

Quoted for the truth. I'm stuck with them and hate every minute of it until Mediacom decides they want to service our neighborhood.

Danny

@bellsouth.net

Re: ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

ever since about oct-2012, from 3pm to 9-10pm our ping goes up by outrageous rates. i try speedtests, and the throttling holds us steady "within our payment plan range" but the connection is intermittent overall.

every day my sons complain about how they cant play their games because their lag is so horrible because of the high pings.

customer support is NO HELP because as i said we're "within our accepted range for our payment plan"

such utter BS.

ronny4067

@sbcglobal.net

ATT DSL

As some of you have stated, at&t is 'not' interested in providing adsl service over copper network. It is trying it's best to get rid of all it's copper that will not support u_verse. U-verse and wireless is what at&t wants to continue to provide, because it has no, or very little, government oversight. at&t shopped it's copper network several year's ago but no one was interested. If your on copper and outside the range of U-verse, good luck. If your state regulates the copper network, ie goergia's PSC, that is your only hope. good luck!!!!

biotech

@66.249.113.x

Change your DSL provider

Instead of whining about Ma Bell's prices for DSL service, why don't you TRY to change providers such as DSLExtreme or any CLEC DSL Provider since they have much friendlier prices ($19 for 6mbps internet with renewable contract for DSLExtreme) and that they are MUCH wiling to help customers who know about this website.

said by biotech :

There are NO other options at my address.
SuperTech

join:2014-03-21

What area are you in?

said by SuperTech:

What area are you in?

I'm in far west Mobile. My neighborhood was built in 2005 and wired with the newest version of FTTC. It's a simple matter of AT&T not caring to upgrade the electronics in these systems.

SuperTech

@144.160.226.x
Maybe try getting in touch with a local guy.. Could be line issues.

said by SuperTech :

Maybe try getting in touch with a local guy.. Could be line issues.

Something strange just happened. Southern Light has been running fiber on the poles in my to the area close to my serving RT and the latency and speeds suddenly got better. I wonder if Southern Light is providing fiber for AT&T in some instances?

AttHostage

@99.117.50.x

att has been holding me hostage after i called

they locked up my line by putting a "SERVICE in PROCESS" Hold on the line. I cant get another service or do anything until they either take that off or I call them and say I QUIT ! That is their way or Extortion. Extorting money from me by not allowing me to go somewhere else because of the service hold on my line.