T-Mobile US page on DSLReports

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Nothing is good about this company. The company is rotten to the core."
Bad "They will break promises; lie to get your business and refuse to issue a refund when the service fails to work."
Overall "Stay Away from T-Mobile. We have not had any service in NYC for close to 2 months."

I have done business with many companies in my life, but never had as bad an experience as I have had with T-mobile. Back in November of 2011 my husband purchased a USB Broadband 'stick' for Wifi access from T-mobile. We used the plan that you pay as you go month-to-month. From the beginning, it was too slow. My husband would have to call them continuously to have them check into it. It was not the speed they advertised. (It was hardly better than the dial up we used to have). After endless calls, they would fix it and the speed would be better. But then it would get slow again after a short time online.

This went on for the entire year until Sandy hit New York in October of 2012. Our service became very erratic and spotty. Within a few days, in early November, we lost internet access completely. Then the real trouble started. Apparently, the storm knocked something out and they did not know how to fix it and their explanations became more and more bizarre. We got varying stories from them. It ranged from the problem being a flood, to it being a fire, to not knowing what the problem was, to it being a problem with our USB 'stick' (they said the stick was not registering on the network and we needed a new Sim card), to them having to repair an antenna, to having to build new antennas, and finally, that we had service but were just not using the system correctly, or that our operating system was not compatible (this was after a year of having service and using the system properly, and my husband is a computer specialist). They promised to reimburse

us for the 30 days we paid for and could not use. Then they issued an additional credit. They told us to go to the northern Bronx 20 miles away for a signal, but we could not get a signal there. When we told them this, they said to go to Connecticut!! Can you imagine that we were paying for wifi access in our home and they were telling us we needed to go our of state for a signal. We did go to the Bronx, but we decided Northern Connecticut (a three hour drive) is just too much for computer access. So our dead computer continued. As if this wasn't bad enough, each time we called, they set up a ticket for our problem, and we found out that these tickets were diappearing from the system, so each time we called, we had to explain all over again the long list of problems to a new representative. Since we could not use our own time, and certainly not the additional time they had "credited" to us, we finally asked for a refund.

Apparently, there is an even more insidious system when you are asking for your money back. We spoke to so many people it was mind-boggling. After switching us from person to person, each time it was switched, it became more garbled. When I got my landline back it was the same thing, so it was not my cell phone. The voices, once transferred, were garbled and unintelligible, and some were rude, seeming to take delight in our frustration and pleas for help. You would repeat your problem and account number over and over and they would invariably reverse the numbers or say they did not hear or understand you. Meanwhile, you could hear very little of what they were saying until you could hear absolutely nothing. At the end of it all, they would switch us one last time, which then disconnected completely and with no options but to call back and go thru the whole thing again. They knew most people would get frustrated and give up, which is what they were

counting on.

We had also complained about the stick a while ago so when this occurred, they told us we had to go to a T-Mobile store, which we did. They checked it out and said (of course) that it was fine. When they started to say that we had access when we did not, we invited a t-mobile technician to our home so that they could see for themselves that there was absolutely no access. They refused. My last call was yesterday. The same exact drill. No refunds are given. Then, OK, we will issue you a refund but you have to speak to a "refund specialist" - an idiot on the other end of the line that gets paid to give you as much grief as possible. And then to another "refund specialist" and then another. Each time you transfer, the connection is worse than the previous until neither you nor the person at the other end can hear a thing. And then you are disconnected. I am mad at myself for wasting so much time with them. I have now gone to the Attorney General for

my state and to the credit card companies. Do NOT look for a solution with this company. You should report them to as many agencies as possible until this consumer fraud is exposed and they are made to pay for all they are doing to customers. Ps. when we went to them a few weeks ago for a refund of the USB stick (since they off and on said it was the problem) they refused, saying that we purchased it in October 2011 and was out of warranty. That was a lie, and we verified with our credit card company that we made the charge on November 2011 (and received it three days later). We were still under warranty, but they refused to acknowledge it and said we charged it in October, 2011. They are not only incredibly deceitful, but also incredibly stupid, since the date of purchase can so easily be verified by the credit card company. I am sure there were other things too numerous to mention, but this is the gist of it. If you value your money and your

sanity, stay away from T-Mobile.

(review was emailed from domain zoho.com)

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

1 recommendation

Seriously?

Are you really complaining because they can't fix the damaged towers fast enough to suit you when lots of areas are still demolished? Why not just be happy you still have a home and stop whining?
jacobslive
join:2007-11-25
San Jose, CA

Re: Seriously?

You should better read the entire post before coming up with such silly comment.
jacobslive
join:2007-11-25
San Jose, CA
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

File a complaint with FCC

It is a common practice with t-mobile with false advertisement and promises. Where they claim they have LTE, they actually have bare 2G speed. I had tried them twice in two years and cancelled within 3 days both times.

I guess you should file a complaint with FCC regarding your problems with t-mobile. Include/attach any correspondence you have done with t-mobile in this regard. Believe me, they will act on your behalf and you will hear from t-mobile/FCC typically in 3-4 weeks time.

»www.fcc.gov/complaints

Re: File a complaint with FCC

No wireless service can provide good service to everyone on earth no matter where they might be. Unless they are using satellites they would have to cover the whole world with towers just a mile apart to insure a strong signal everywhere and even if they had the $billions to do that it would be physically impossible. Also they are not allowed to put towers in many areas due to zoning or because the area is already built up. It might just be his HOA or city or county zoning not allowing it, why not complain to them?
Or better yet, if it doesn't work in the area switch to a different service that does. No more whining or FCC complaining necessary.
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

I have no first hand experience with the Stick modem..

But, I've used one t-mobile's ZTE hotspot(21Mbps--older tech) in a tethered configuration during a very long road trip(>3000 miles).

A couple observations.

Get some separation between your PC and RF modem, at least 4 or 5 ft.. 9 ft is better. Get a $10 USB extension cable and connect your stick USB cable to the USB extension cable, and it to the PC/Laptop.

Modern buildings have a lot of metal in them(outlets/appliances/framing/etc), relocate stick/hotspot higher up and/or closer to a window.

The more bars you get.. the better the performance..

Following some of these rules vastly improves performance, in major metro areas I would get up to 14/3Mbps in speed test results.

Apache Junction, AZ

Re: I have no first hand experience with the Stick modem..

>One must get some separation distance between hotspot/modem stick and your laptop/pc. Laptop's/PC's can be very noisy(RF wise), especially in the bands T-mobile uses. The resulting interference can significantly impact performance.

That's not really true. My spectrum analyzer doesn't show any interference signal coming from laptops. There are FCC rules that limit that kind of interference to non-interfering levels.
I have a Zoom 3G USB dongle that works fine plugged into the laptop IF the laptop is in the right location. The problem is you can't get good reception most places where the laptop might be setting indoors so the USB device works better if you put it on a USB extension cable and sit it in a window. It also helps to use an outside roof mounted antenna for a strong signal.
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

3 edits

Re: I have no first hand experience with the Stick modem..

Yes there are limits imposed by the FCC.. But practical considerations means they can't test for these limits under all conditions.. And those conditions are going to vary from laptop to laptop, PC to PC, different CPU types, CPU clock frequency , memory types, battery state, power saver program, memory bus speed, rise and fall times on memory bus drivers, etc..

Heck the original author doesn't mention what type of PC's they have, it could even be something as simple as a missing chassis screw on a desktop PC.

P.S. I'm a expert in this arena..

Even the FCC part B radiation limits (300 uV/meter) can severely impact local cell receiver performance, since they are often listening for extremely weak radio signals.. -80 dBm, to -110 dBm. The cell tower they were using could be out of action, and they now depend on a less than optimal tower.

Even a shielded local transmission source(@ primary frequency) can easily swamp those distant signals. The only way to reduce interference is to add more shielding and/or more distance.

Thus my original suggestion still applies. (add more separation/distance, improve received signal strength).