Bright House page on DSLReports

Review by henbone11 See Profile

• Location: Carmel,Hamilton,IN
Good "Internet connection quality and speed, good phone line"
Bad "pricing"
Overall "overall stable services...at a price"

I have had Comcast, AT&T U-Verse, and Cox and none of them have been as consistently steady or fast for me as Bright House. I currently have the 40/4Mbps Lightning package and for the first few months got right at those speeds any time I ran a speed test and through real world usage. About two months ago I started seeing 50Mbps downloads speeds and they have not gone back, and upload speeds have stayed the same. The phone line is crystal clear and have never had a problem with it.

After ordering the service, installer arrived on the date and exact time as scheduled. He was only here for about thirty minutes, and ten of those were just us idly talking tech. From the moment he left til now, roughly 6 months, everything has been great. A great service is one that you forget is a service at all because it's just always there and always works.

The pricing is more than I would have expected. I have called three different times to inquire about different tv packages, and even the very basic cable is $70 a month more. Sorry, but that is pretty unacceptable. As far as I can tell, my internet is $70 a month and the phone service is $20 a month. With Cox and Comcast I had 50/5Mbps internet packages and it never cost me more than $50 a month...and I am not the kind of person to call every month and complain or threaten to leave to get things cheaper. It is simply what it cost. I realize that I said that none of my previous broadband experiences were as constant as with Bright House, but paying a premium for consistency is a shame in this day and age.

This apartment complex has a dedicated Bright House representative and he has been great. I have mostly dealt with him, but have called Bright House directly to see about pricing options and it's always the same. We were led to believe that the dedicated rep we were to work with was able to provide us with some sort of preferred pricing, guess we were mislead, but that is on the apartment complex and not Bright House. I would also like to see Bright House increase speeds and possibly offer a consumer grade 100Mbps connection, but that's just being greedy.

I have the Ubee gateway, bridged, running through an Asus RT-N66U router then to a Netgear 24 port switch to 14 wired devices. Every device has fast and consistent speed.

Ultimately, I have been very happy with the service. Pricing aside, I have zero complaints and would/have recommend/ed the service to others. I rated the technical support in the middle because I have never had to use them for anything. Anyone in the Carmel, IN area should seriously consider Bright House if shopping for internet services. I cannot speak on the quality of the tv packages. Knowing the area, pricing will not be an issue for anyone, and is only an issue for me based on principle.

Comments:

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

Thank you for your review...

WOW!...thank you on behalf of your entire Indy BHN family....I will be sharing this with them on Monday.

I understand how you feel on pricing and I encourage you to check often for promotions that may apply to you. In fact feel free to reach out to me anytime and I'll have someone review your account and see if we can't match you up with that perfect package pricepoint.

Also want to commend you on your choice of routers and I trust you waited long enough for them to work out the bugs or are using alternate firmware. I am a big fan of this class of Asus routers (56,65, still iffy on the 66) and would love to get some feedback from you.

If you need anything at all please feel free to reach out to me.

Cheers..

Gary
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

henbone11

join:2012-02-18
Carmel, IN
·Bright House

Re: Thank you for your review...

I have been through most of the popular top end consumer routers and the Asus has always done everything well. The only time I reboot is when upgrading the firmware and always have great connectivity, wifi and ethernet. I use the file sharing (even though it only has two usb ports I have a four port hub connected with hard drives in all four ports), ftp, openVPN server, media server and many of the other functions on a daily basis and it just works. Also, I must say that I am very much a function over form person, but it even looks good.

I do use the Merlin's build firmware (3.0.0.4.260.21), which is just a heavily modified stock firmware, but vastly increased functionality. I have helped friends and family step up to this router and all seem to enjoy it.

BH Sux

@bhn.net

Blighthouse Sux

You people are absolutely HORRID!!! You have terrible service, and you have LIED about your offerings this weekend!!! If you are not providing the Showtime Free Preview, then DO NOT ADVERTISE IT ON THE CHANNELS I PAY FOR!!! Also, the call center is in Canada!!!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: Blighthouse Sux

said by BH Sux :

Showtime advertised that not Bright House Networks. Just because you see the ad on a national network does not mean your local provider is participating and we have no control over the ads they (Showtime) put out there.