DSL EXTREME page on DSLReports

Review by tire305 See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Bad "WARNING - It's like Holtel California, you can sign up but can never cancel"
Overall "Go for another service if available, the time you spend trying to cancel and then save your credit their deals are not worth it"

While searching for a new DSL carrier I found several options. One of them was DSLExtreme. Despite the bad reviews, I opted to sign up anyway. BIG MISTAKE!

Sign up was pretty easy, getting information and clarification was not. You have to do quite a bit with someone in another country by IM chat. If was very hard for them to understand your questions and it seemed like they would have cut and paste answers that did not address the questions, so it took a while to get my specific question answered. Minor problem.

The service was just OK. It was not consistent and progressively got slower.

The problem came when I wanted to cancel my service. I sent an e-mail which is documented on their website as proper canceling protocol. I received no response, yet was sent another bill for another month to my alternative e-mail address (they want you to pay in advance). So I called Chatsworth and asked why I was not cancelled. They told me that I must cancel through the web site and there was a specific "cancel service" link. Guess the e-mail cancellation and address in Utah provided on the website is not enough. That too was not disclosed. Who knew they require you to cancel more than one place. (scam) I was also told that the previous cancellation date would be used, NOT the date I cancelled on the website. I cancelled for the second time through the web site. They of course used the cancellation date that paid them another month (shocking).

Heard nothing back until a collection company called me and told me that I owed DSLEXreme well over $100.00! FOR WHAT? They said that I had not returned their equipment and that I had not paid for months of billing. First I had none of their equipment ever and I had cancelled in the middle of a month that I already paid for in advance. I owed them nothing.

After reading many accounts of the same business practices, I now believe that these are standard unethical practices for this company. They say that I am using their equipment and that is flat our erroneous. They can look into their logs and see what equipment I was using. They know what modem was configured to my account. MINE. They have the numbers and documentation of the modem used, but refuse to look into it. I also believe that they purposefully do not allow you to cancel the first time so that they can milk several months of payment out of you.

As it turns out, MY STORY IS NOT UNUSUAL OR AN ISOLATED CASE.

It turned into a collection and they flat out lied that I was using their equipment and had never cancelled!

The problem is that this collection came after DSL Extreme had deleted my e-mail account, so I had very little documentation available to me to prove the correspondence. I can however prove that the modem I have is mine and purchased by me directly from someone else two years prior. They will not address the modem configuration on my account and just insist that they sent me equipment.

This has taken up quite a bit of time and now there is a collection against me.

It is my opinion that these people are either severely inept or flat out crooks. Either way, my advise is to look elsewhere for service. The discount is not worth the hassle.

Comments:

dslx_nick
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

DSL Extreme

Hello,

I'm sorry you had difficulty with the cancellation process, but where did you send the email to cancel? Our terms & conditions (»www.dslextreme.com/termsconditions?i=1) list our website, fax, and snail mail to Utah as the valid ways to cancel, not email, so... I'm not sure where you sent that email to? Normally, if you send an email to one of our departments, such as support@dslextreme.com for technical issues, you should automatically receive a reply from the system acknowledging receipt of the email and giving you a ticket number to track it... but you also mentioned you never received any reply, so it sounds like you sent the email to an email address that may not be valid? You do not need to send a cancel request via all three methods listed on our website, but you should send it through one of them:

1. Online at »www.dslextreme.com/cancel/
2. Via fax at 818-206-0326
3. Via mail to: DSLExtreme

Attn: Cancellation Department
P. O. Box 221050
Salt Lake City, UT 84122

Also stated at the beginning of section 11, TERMINATION BY SUBSCRIBER, if you're on a monthly subscription you need to send it at least 30 days in advance (not in the middle of the month):

"Subscriber may terminate this Agreement at any time for any reason by providing DSLExtreme with a thirty (30) day written notice in the form of a valid written termination request and paying all fees and other charges accrued or otherwise payable under the terms of this Agreement. Such thirty (30) day period begins on the date on which DSLExtreme receives Subscriber's valid written termination request. A Monthly Subscriber's termination will be effective on the later of (a) the end of last day of the calendar month during which such thirty (30) day period ends (e.g., a valid written termination request received by DSLExtreme any time during January will result in termination effective at the end of February) or (b) the end of last day of the calendar month requested by the Monthly Subscriber."

As you can see, our cancellation process is clearly stated on our website, and we did nothing unusual or unethical regarding such. If you want to provide me with your account information, I can look up your account and look into this matter about the modem.

The dude99

@sbcglobal.net

Bad policy

You can only cancel by snail mail or fax? That sounds like a scam to me.

dslx_gm
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA

Re: Bad policy

said by The dude99 :

You can only cancel by snail mail or fax? That sounds like a scam to me.

Looks like you may have overlooked #1 on the list which is our online cancellation form. That is the preferred method.