CenturyLink page on DSLReports

Review by ebgwd See Profile

• Location: Hodges,Greenwood,SC
Good "Bundle with phone for $85/month and unlimited long distance is free"
Bad "Slow, slow, slower 1.5 meg on paper and 0.4 meg in real lift, NO Tech Support"
Overall "Sometimes the lower speed is better because of less errors on line"

We are right at the distance limit for 1.5meg but there are issues on the line quality. Sometimes you can get 1.5 meg but when the neighbors get on the internet it gets really slow. We call each other and keep track of our internet use and share the evening so that other neighbors can watch Netflix too. It is like the old party line in the 60's.

We use the ZyXel EQ-660R
System Name: EMBARQ
ZyNOS F/W Version: V3.40(ACZ.9) | 11/07/2007
DSL FW Version:TI AR7 07.00.02.00
Standard:ADSL2PLUS

Have plenty of experience logging into the modem/router and resetting to get the line back up after errors have stacked up.

Phone support is very painful.
They always start with stuff like, pull off your socks and shoes and count your toes. We try and explain that the simple stuff has been checked before we call but they normally start with the pull of your socks and shoes and count your toes.

Comments:

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

Me too

I have the same equipment. As you move away from the office the speed drops in small increments. Truly the only way to get faster speed is move closer to their equipment. For most of us this is not an option.

The thing to understand is rural is handicapped by large swaths of farm land and small communities. My county has 15,000 population. Telco is not going to invest a million dollars to bring 50 Mbps to 4,000 people. We use what we have and be glad it isn't the 28.8 dialup that some still have.

As far as the modem this is what I understand. My friendly tech breaks down technical issues into simple language."The modem loses its mind and forgets how to go home." For whatever reason it drops the connection and you have to reboot. There are days when mine can't find the POP, and it's in plain sight.

Bad weather, snow, ice, high wind, brutal heat, squirrels, contractors and a dozen other things are enemies of the internet. If you have a lot of brown-outs or power failures, you really need to look into a UPS.

Good luck!
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside
ebgwd

join:2013-11-23

EQ-660 software reset

EQ-660 password
The "modem" is really a modem/router combination. The errors buildup till they block the packets being transferred. At that point the flow of packets stop. I login to my "modem" and do a software reset often, when this problem occurs. It seems to fix the modem for a few house.

Just point your browser to »192.168.2.1/rpSys.html

Password should already be there, so just click on LOGIN.
Then click on IGNORE on the next 2 windows that open.
Click on DIAGNOSTIC and then GENERAL.
At the bottom of the page is button for RESET SYSTEM.
Click it and wait about 90 seconds.
The internet works better each time I use this software reset for my "modem".
Hope it will work for you, too.