SONIC.NET page on DSLReports

Review by ibldsw See Profile

• Location: Pleasanton,Alameda,CA
Good "Solid connection, very low latency, No data cap"
Bad "Must have AT&T phone service to get DSL with Sonic"
Overall "I no longer consider Sonic as a local ISP. Switched to the cable for the better value."

Update 6/2/12

I wanted to stay with Sonic.net as much as I can in support of a local ISP despite higher price for the speed ($60/mo for 5Mbps).

I have been waiting for Fusion in my area (Pleasanton) thinking Sonic, as a local ISP, will eventually deploy Fusion service in this part of the Bay Area. When I heard Sonic started building Fusion in southern California, I felt betrayed for a few seconds. Well, after all Sonic is just another ISP that must follow economic principal.

Even though Sonic has lost my support as a local ISP, I really hope Sonic does well and eventually deploy fiber I can switch back to. For now I followed the same economic principal, and switch to the cable.

===========================
Current ISP & plan: Sonic DSL 6M on AT&T phone line

Previous ISP: Comcast

Reason for switching: Sonic as a shelter from Comcast data cap

Installation: Uneventful. I used the modem I had with SBC (now AT&T) DSL - worked fine.

Service quality: Stable connection with very low latency (first hop ping under 10 ms)

Monthly cost:
- One year ago: $32 ($20 DSL intro price + $12 AT&T Measured Rate phone service)
- Now: $58 and rising ($40 DSL + $18 AT&T Measured Rate phone service*)

* AT&T plans to raise the base rate by $3 and the usage rate again in March 2012.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------

Sonic DSL subscribers are required to have AT&T land line phone service. So I ordered the least expensive plan. It is a measured rate plan without any features. There is no caller ID, no call waiting, no voice mail, and no way of knowing how much I used till the next bill. I simply didn't use the phone to make the bill simple. $32 total cost for 6M DSL wasn't bad at all.

After one year, DSL portion of the cost doubled to $40 and AT&T phone to $18 and rising. At $60+ a month, Sonic DSL is increasingly less competitive. I learned that business class internet from Comcast and AT&T U-verse don't have data caps, and can be ordered at home. Their lowest cost plans with 12M speed without a phone service cost about the same.

Comments:

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

680 Corridor

We are not at this time deploying in the Hwy 680 corridor (Danville, San Ramon, Dublin, Pleasanton - and down 580 to Livermore). We completed our third phase SF Bay Area build, and moved on to the Sacramento/Woodland/David area (now complete), and we are now engaged in construction on a number of COs in the LA area.

With limited resources, we have to go where the subscriber density is first. We are building as much as we can as fast as we can, with the goal to bring Fusion to everyone, but it is a long and expensive road.