Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

SONIC.NET page on DSLReports

Review by ibldsw See Profile

• Location: Pleasanton,Alameda,CA
Good "Solid connection, very low latency, No data cap"
Bad "Must have AT&T phone service to get DSL with Sonic"
Overall "I no longer consider Sonic as a local ISP. Switched to the cable for the better value."

Update 6/2/12

I wanted to stay with Sonic.net as much as I can in support of a local ISP despite higher price for the speed ($60/mo for 5Mbps).

I have been waiting for Fusion in my area (Pleasanton) thinking Sonic, as a local ISP, will eventually deploy Fusion service in this part of the Bay Area. When I heard Sonic started building Fusion in southern California, I felt betrayed for a few seconds. Well, after all Sonic is just another ISP that must follow economic principal.

Even though Sonic has lost my support as a local ISP, I really hope Sonic does well and eventually deploy fiber I can switch back to. For now I followed the same economic principal, and switch to the cable.

===========================
Current ISP & plan: Sonic DSL 6M on AT&T phone line

Previous ISP: Comcast

Reason for switching: Sonic as a shelter from Comcast data cap

Installation: Uneventful. I used the modem I had with SBC (now AT&T) DSL - worked fine.

Service quality: Stable connection with very low latency (first hop ping under 10 ms)

Monthly cost:
- One year ago: $32 ($20 DSL intro price + $12 AT&T Measured Rate phone service)
- Now: $58 and rising ($40 DSL + $18 AT&T Measured Rate phone service*)

* AT&T plans to raise the base rate by $3 and the usage rate again in March 2012.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------

Sonic DSL subscribers are required to have AT&T land line phone service. So I ordered the least expensive plan. It is a measured rate plan without any features. There is no caller ID, no call waiting, no voice mail, and no way of knowing how much I used till the next bill. I simply didn't use the phone to make the bill simple. $32 total cost for 6M DSL wasn't bad at all.

After one year, DSL portion of the cost doubled to $40 and AT&T phone to $18 and rising. At $60+ a month, Sonic DSL is increasingly less competitive. I learned that business class internet from Comcast and AT&T U-verse don't have data caps, and can be ordered at home. Their lowest cost plans with 12M speed without a phone service cost about the same.

Comments: