SONIC.NET page on DSLReports

Review by MacGuyver See Profile

• Location: Pacifica,San Mateo,CA
Good "Price, speed, support, features"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "worth the switch from ATT"

Have been referring clients to Sonic.net for some time but finally got around to doing it myself. Sonic excels at pre- and post-sales support, be it service/features/pricing questions or very technical issues. Their staff are always willing to answer your questions or will go find the solution if it is within their power.

Ordered their "Elite DSL New Signup Special" online Tuesday night (6 Mbit, $20/mo for a year, then $40/mo with no contract).

»www.sonic.net/sales/broadband/ds···?p=Elite

AT&T finished wiring Friday evening. (Side note: The ATT install tech was excellent!) Only issue with install that caused me to ding one point from "Install Co-ordination" was that ATT does not have the best communication. Sonic was able to check if the line was active but had little information beyond that. This is not Sonic's fault per se, but I have to mention it. Sonic did tell me to call back if service was not activated by the evening of the due date (Friday) and they would contact ATT.

Initially I tried using an old Alcatel SpeedTouch Home modem (10+ years old). Sonic gave me the settings that would be needed and worked with me on the phone to configure this aging workhorse. We finally got the settings to stick and I briefly had 2.2 Mbit/sec using Sonic's test, but everything was lost after a power cycle test. So I called the local RadioShack to see what they had in stock: a Motorola 2210-02. Another call to Sonic and the support rep warned me that there were 2 main variants of this model and described the one that does work with Sonic service. The other type was ATT only. This was an important distinction to make.

After configuring the Motorola 2210 for Bridge mode, I quickly got 5.1+ down/0.65 up Mbit/sec using Sonic's tool. This is just shy of the expected max speeds after overhead so I am very pleased. My proximity to the local connection and the ATT tech's diligence during the install did not hurt things, I am sure.

Nearly 2 weeks of reliable service now. I plan on fiddling with some of Sonic's other included features soon. I only wish their Fusion service was available here.

Disclosure: I do not, nor have I ever, worked for a telco or ISP. I first heard about Sonic.net here at DLSreports.com.

Comments: