RuralNet page on DSLReports

Review by Maniak See Profile

• Location: Vail,Pima,AZ
Good "Decent price, much faster/better than 3g, sattelite and dial up (only other options)"
Bad "dropped packets for 5-30 minutes once in a while. Had growing pains but seem to be done with that"
Overall "Best option for this area. If DSL or Cable were even a possibility we would switch but thats never going to happen, too rural"

·Wi-Power
Paying for 1.5M down and 768k up - $64.95/month. Static IP costs $15/month more
ISP gives extra speed as a burst which helps quicken the loading of pages and works well for Amazon streaming but I am getting the 1.5M/768k on longer downloads.

I called, they came out and did a site survey and installed the same day (was 1 week from call to install)

They installed the Antenna (CPE), and a POE brick to power the CPE. The Customer end is a cat 5 cable that I run into my own router.

The only issue I have with them is sometimes we get 5-10 minutes of dropped packets at one of the wireless hops (there are 3 hops between me and their upstream provider). This happens between once every couple weeks to a couple times a week. The only reason I know its happening is it shows up in my pingplotter log.

UPDATE: I gave up on Ruralnet wireless (now Baja Wireless) back in January 2014. The connection was down 1/2 the time AND when it was working I got close to full speed about 1/2 of that time.. I switched to Wi-power (see my other review) which for the last 3 months has been very stable..

Comments: