EarthLink page on DSLReports

Review by OriginalDrM See Profile

• Location: Pompano Beach,Broward,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Reliable service, few problems"
Bad "The price may change (and your bandwidth)... but what you pay won't. Outsourced support that blows: HARD."
Overall "Love to stay, but I must go... or not... or maybe now... and not quite yet!"

UPDATED A LOT OF TIMES, READ THE BOTTOM AT LEAST...

I joined Earthlink a year and a half ago. After first signing up they billed me for service before I even received the startup kit in the mail, huh?!

By way of apology they gave us an additional free month (over and above the sign up deal).

In fact whenever there was a billing dispute, there was lots of discounts and free months thrown in. After calling recently about a possible discount, they agreed I could get it, and instead added to the price of our bill instead of subtracting it.
The billing department seems unable to do math, which could explain the interminable wait times on hold to talk to them.

Tech support? Also long hold times, and don't expect anything above your run of the mill "Did you try turning the power off on your modem and rebooting your computer?"

Outages were few and far between, mail has been fairly reliable.
Earthlink's Pop-up blocker is very nice but difficult to get your hands on unless you install their full software package. Anyone with minor skills should avoid the software package for any ISP, and that goes double for Earthlink.

Spaminator is merely a Brightmail spam filter with a user interface (webmail based) for sorting your spam for false positives. It is only 50% successful with my father's email account for some reason. Huge volumes of spam come to him every day (yes it is turned on).
News downloads are kind of slow.
Line speed tests come in around 85% of advertised rates. About 1200 kbps downstream. And the upstream, well...

NOW THE REALLY BAD BIT:
Sometime along the way Earthlink capped my bandwidth without notification.
My 1500/256 line became 1500/128. Go check, that's what they're selling now.
No apologies, no discounts to established customers, nothing.
After talking with tech support who said "Huh?"
And accounts, who blamed "Bellsouth, maybe?"
I have gotten no good explaination.

Every other ISP in south Florida using Bellsouth lines provides 1500/256 for $50/mo. EXCEPT Earthlink.

They've been reliable, but I refuse to put up with a company with an uninformed support staff, and is will to make SERIOUS changes to your account on the sly.

STAY AWAY. BELLSOUTH.NET PROVIDES FASTER SPEEDS, AT THE SAME PRICE WITH NEARLY THE SAME DSLREPORTS RATING.

Additional info: The sign up package was great with everything free including the first month or so. The modem is an Efficient Networks 5260 and I have it hooked in to a Linksys DSL Router providing PPPoE. Did a self install and built the network at the same time, no hitches.

Update: I guess too many people complained: 1500/256 was quietly restored without comment (benched at 1157/196 that's 78% for the math disabled) . I'm not sure when. Sigh. Earthlink USE to be a good company.

Also Usenet servers were upgraded. You can get about full speed access to them now, though there is a monthly limit of 5gb/30 days (not calendar months, but over the last 30 days), then they throttle your connection. Usenet not your entire connection.

UPDATE 5/1/04: Earthlink has gone to a 2 tier dsl service. The $50/month I've been spending is now suppose to provide 3000/128kbps (Bellsouth.net is also offering this for a few dollars more ($55) and calling it 3000/384 with a static IP!) 1500/128kbps is now only $40 (upload speeds may be higher as they are for the 1500/129kbps). Anyway, Earthlink has CHOSEN NOT TO MENTION THIS to existing customers (making it only available to NEW customers). In fact I was rerouted a dozen times in over an hour around India trying to express my outrage, and desire to receive the service I am in fact paying for. My contract finished up 2 years ago, and they tell me the service isn't available to existing customers (but may be later this year).

FINALLY, I got transferred back to the U.S. and talked to an AMERICAN, WOO-HOO. He resolved my problem in all of 1 minute by sending an Email to Covad requesting an upgrade to my service (for my same monthly fee). He CLAIMS 24-48hrs until that happens. We shall see. I did take the opportunity to yell about the crappy support they now have.

India tech support sucks. Earthlink use to be known for outstanding customer service. Those days are gone. Go to BellSouth.net, I'm told they still have U.S. reps, and have a better price+features/performance. $5 more to get more, and if you use TotalChoice, it is cheaper than Earthlink.

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING CUSTOMER, CALL AND YELL AT EARTHLINK UNTIL THEY EITHER REDUCE YOUR RATE OR UPGRADE YOUR SERVICE!!!!!!!

5/4/04 Update: Well no 3Mbps for me. Turns out Bellsouth is starting out small and close to the CO and then spreading out and upgrading as it goes. So... not yet for me, but they are going to cut my rate to $40/mo. for my 1.5mbps. I can't hate that anyway.

9/11/07
Has it really been almost 7 years now? Well, it's finally time to jump ship.
Earthlink is dead. Ok not dead, but someone should shoot it and put it out of it's misery.
Their tech support is a bunch inept script monkeys that will tie you up for an hour or more rewiring routers and changing OS settings before they will tell you 'there is a known outage in your area'.

Their price is excessive, their line speed is 'meh'.
They want another year contract to upgrade my speed to the 3.0mbps service (like the change costs them anything.)

I'm uncomfortable with AT&T's decisions to outsource tech support and rumblings that they may monitor customer activities (for the NSA, RIAA, etc.) but the fact still remains:
they are cheaper, faster, and better. ($3 less a month ($38) will double my bandwidth. For $43 I can get 6.0mbps now. No contract, no new modem needed, not costs up front.)

Don't even think about Earthlink as a provider anymore, their best is behind them.

4/15/14
Interesting conversations the past couple days with Earthlink.
I asked them the current prices for 6.0mbps because of AT&T's recent rate hike and was quoted $44.95/mo. That's a surprising $6 less a month less than the AT&T on the same lines.

Thinking about it a couple days, I very nearly upgraded my service, but then I saw my bill last month. It went up from $39.95 for the 3.0 service to $44.95/mo. Yeah, that's confusing. I know AT&T raised rates, but I wasn't even notified by Earthlink of the price hike so I complained. (Why not, right?)

The guy checked my records, apologized, and changed my monthly fee to $37.95/mo. Yup, a $2 DROP.

So, to be clear I asked if that changed anything about my service or if this were some special for a limited time and his answer was: "You will get same service DSL service with speed up to 3.0 mbps for $37.95 per month and we have deceased your prices with same service. This price will be for you as long as you use Earthlink service." (sic)

I've printed that conversation out and will stuff it in their face if they ever try to raise rates again. Sure I'd LIKE to bump to 6.0, but that is a conversation for another day.

For those that wonder why I keep DSL over Cable? DSL is more than competitively priced (per mbps), doesn't involve the scams that Comcast shovels out and is more reliable. (I've talked to my neighbors, they're ALWAYS lowing service).

Why do I keep Earthlink? Because for less money a month than AT&T I'm getting service with no bandwidth caps(!), usenet(!!) that is surprisingly robust for still being included by any ISP and would AT&T have actually LOWERED a customer's rate(!!!)? Permanently(!!!!)?

My estimation of Earthlink really went up today.

Comments:

Review by scarsten See Profile

• Location: Middleburg,Clay,FL
Good "Yet to find anything good"
Bad "support"
Overall "Get any other provider you can"

I was sold a 3 MEG service and only got a half a meg down. Along with this they did something to my connection went zI quested this so my Xbox will not work as before along with that my service leaves a lot to be asked for seeing as how it always drops off when it wants with no advanced notice. This causes me to lose all my work to that point and forces me to have to start over, but Earthlink support just tells me that they did not do anything to my service but the first tech I spoke to about this told me he had to make changes to my account to get it to work. Well he changed things alright but it still does not work as sold so I'm plain screwed with this useless service for the next year or so, unless I can find an out which I'm looking for right now. so wish me luck and pick any other ISP so you don't get shafted like I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments:

Review by lalira53 See Profile

• Location: Boston,Suffolk,MA
Bad "Earthlink is charging me for services I don't want or are able to use and refuses to close my account."
Overall "They are deceitful"

In December of last year I called Earthlink because I was searching for a new dsl service that could be faster and more efficient than what I have now. Earthlink seemed be cheaper, so I agreed to change. Days later the account was cancelled and I found out that my Earthlink was going to use the same cables that my present carrier is using and that I had to cancel my current service before I could use earthlink. When I contacted my carrier it was made clear to me that Earthlink could not provide me with the bandwidth it claimed, since my carrier doesn't offer that to start with. That makes sense, doesn't it? So I called earthlink and told them I wanted to cancel my order. Its reps argue that earthlink could offer me a dial-up for some dollars a month. When I said I did not want that, and that I simply wanted to cancel everything and that I had changed my mind, they argue that in order to cancel my account/order I must pay first some charge!!! It is inconceivable to me that a merchant dares to charge a client for services that the client never used, or received, and then refuse to halt a monthly charge. I have just filed a claim with my credit card to stop that nonsense. In any case, I wish to warn others about the poor treatment this company provides to unsuspecting new clients.

Comments:

Review by coolal See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Very Fast, Professional Install, All setup and Equipment costs covered"
Bad "Not any yet..."
Overall "Amazing for 20 bucks more a month what you can get!"

Initially I had a lot of problems with Earthlink. Here is my DSL history: I first ordered on the 20th of December 1999 DSL from GTE (now Verizon). That was one big nightmare, I couldn't believe how patient I had become, they kept saying wait another month we are experiencing a lot of glitches. I told my neighbors at least 10 times "Oh yeah I'm getting DSL in a week" every time to see the day come and go. I finally canceled the order in May of 2000. After some more negotiation with my parents I went through Earthlink who was already my ISP (bought out my ISP: Netcom) so I could keep my existing e-mail address. A major plus. When I ordered it, it was the 3rd of July. That got delayed because either GTE would miss an appointment therefore causing Covad to automatically cancel the order or that the local CO was maxed out. So then in September of 2000 I cancelled the order yet again because I was going to get a cell phone, and GTE had still not even activated the line. Finally after my mom had hired someone to look at my sis computer and our network he recommended that we get DSL rather than share a 56k connection. So finally on the 10th of December I ordered DSL yet again. On the 18th of December the line was activated without a hitch and on the 21st of December I hope to have my line installed by Covad. It was quite amazing how fast this went and I am very happy. I will stay with Earthlink only until a more reliable and faster solution comes along.

Here is some of the technical and additional stuff I wanted to add about the Earthlink DSL. They are indeed using PPPoE but I have a Umax Ugate 3200 which automatically takes the PPPoE so that I don't have to worry about it. Covad will send out an Efficient Networks Speedstream 3260 DSL "Modem". The speed of the DSL service is advertised as "Best effort" which means that it can be as high as 1.5mbs or as low as 360kbs. In my neighborhood I live 5000 ft. away from the CO and I am also getting what Covad calls the Tele Surfer Pro, which should run at or near 1.5mbs.

I put in this review what I wished I could have seen in other reviews. One big tip though. Call about every 3 days with any ISP, keep yourself in their computers, because then you have less of a chance to fall through the cracks in the DSL ordering process.

One other thing, when my DSL does get installed I will be sure to update this so that I can give a full circle of the ordering/install process, and my installation is a Professional one.

THURSDAY December 21st:

THE DSL IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm 1.3 down and 300 up, I love it!!! Covad technician was the very best!

Thursday June 22nd:

I wanted to do a checkup on this... Initially I had service going in and out at a rate of about 10-15 times a week, for about 2 hours.... This was shortly after I wrote the December 21st review. Since the 3 week period of instability, my connection has been out ONCE! I love Covad and hope they don't go under, they are by far the best DSL provider.

Comments:

Review by FarmerBob See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "The Sales process was beyond belief"
Bad "The closer you get to the Corp HQ the dumber the people get."
Overall "It's not USQworst."

·ViaTalk
UPDATE 10/11/13:

It's been so long that I can not even remember having these guys. There have been so many since. I sound like an Internet Floozy. Yup. Ya gotta be to stay connected.

For the fifth time in 2 years I am a refugee. My latest migration is from SprintION (who Qwest ran out of business) 6-8 MBps connection to Earthlink (1.5 MBps), who was my ISP with ION. I jumped the minute I knew I had to get new service. Called and got a brilliant sales rep that took such good care of me. I asked if there were any specials for those of us that already had Earthlink as our ISP. My rep said she'd check and call me back. 2 hours later (I expected days) the nirvana ended, she called and said that they weren't going to run any for the ION people. Now I get 3-4 eMails a day and 2-4 letters a week touting a very special offer for ION customer to switch. But since I did it when one should due to the time it takes. I can't get the offer. Bad PR.

Now on to the really good part. My first order was cancelled. By who, no one knows. A second order was placed and it disappeared. My brilliant CSR found that one when she was checking on my order (on her own time and doing). So we started a 3rd. My line went active on the 10th and the hardware was to be in my hands on the 12th. I paid extra to get it shipped 2 days quicker. So since no hardware had arrived I went to their website to check on the progress of the order and thank God I took screen shots of the info. Last Wednesday it said that the line was up on the 10th (Monday) and the order was completed on the 12th and that I should be enjoying my new connection. But no hardware in sight. I called to inquire and was transferred to the PreInstallation dept. The message as you connect said that there was a 39 minute wait. 90 minutes later someone finally answered. I had fallen asleep so it took me a moment to regain my composure. NO ONE knew anything. So I sent an eMail to their general customer service and got some answers. I got more when I had physical evidence as to one moment things being one way and then changed the next. A rush was placed on the hardware and it should be here in 7-10 days. So much for paying for 2 day delivery.

In the meantime. This morning I was going through my AMX bill and there was a $149.95 charge from Earthlink. I called to see what that was all about and got the most rude, condescending, sorry excuse for a CSR. Everything I said he had to contradict. I said that there was a charge on my credit card, he said no there wasn't. I asked what the status of my order since the info on the website kept changing. He said another 14 days at least and the info on the site didn't change. I had proof. It did. After realizing that this was a lost cause and he was really ticking me off, there was more conversation than recanted here, I said thank you and hung up. I then went to send another eMail to the person that I did get some answers from and notice a different phone number on the bottom of the eMail that they had sent, so I called it. I got a very pleasant young man in Roseville, CA, the other guy was in Atlanta. He took my info and looked up the account. Lo and behold I had 3 accounts with charges. Why the other guy accessing the same database couldn't see this is any bodies guess. So we dumped two of the three accounts that were billed a cancellation charge, the cancelled account and the account that disappeared. He credited the two $149.95 fees (so there was a charge on my card and another one coming) and went to work on solidifying the one remaining account. By the end of this conversation I had my Static IP address, all my user info and he read out the eMail info as I created an account in Entourage. This guy was great. I want him cloned. Hopefully I will not have to make anymore calls so I'm crossing my fingers. I rarely ever had to call ION.

Needless to say I'm scared. If this is suppose to be the #1 purveyor of the Internet, we're doomed. The only other alternative is USQworst. I used to work for them and know how bad that organization is and how they have the Colorado PUC (Public Utilities Commission) and FCC wrapped around their little finger. Otherwise SprintION wouldn't be going away. ION was the best group of everybody. You could talk to one person that had the power and resources to take care of everything. The only problem was that they were always calling to see if I was OK. With an 8 Mbps connection, 4 phone lines and 700 minutes a month long distance for $150. I was Fabulous!!!

I hope that this interaction with Earthlink was an isolated incident. I have spoken with their Level 3 people and their pretty great. Hopefully that'll be my only future contact. To anyone having to go this direction, you'll have to be a watch dog and keep on them. Good Luck to us all.

I'll keep you posted as to what happens from here. I should be up and running by New Years when my ION connection goes dark.

UPDATE:

As of the late 2000's Qworst is no longer Qworst. But is becoming one of the better providers. Is Earthlink still around?

member for 13.6 years, 1506 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wiggie See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "x"
Bad "x"
Overall "x"

x

Comments:

Review by elray See Profile

• Location: Santa Monica,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Runs over TWC cable, Great Rates and Speed"
Overall "Just like having TWC cable"

Earthlink resells Time Warner Cable.

We switched this month to EL when TWC wouldn't budge on the new rate they were charging us after the last promo expired, so we're still paying $30/month for 15/1 service and getting 35/1.

In six months, the EL rate will expire, EL will likely offer to extend the rate plan another six months, but if not, we'll switch back to TWC.

Other than a confusing set of phone calls to both companies, each not knowing who is on first, the switch, billing, and service is completely transparent

member for 13.6 years, 2038 visits, last login: 2 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Friday

@verizon.net

Earthlink

Earthlink is so slow, thought I had dial up again. Half of the time it does not work. Cox was a 100 times better

Review by xz4gb8 See Profile

• Location: Plymouth,Wayne,MI
Good "Reliable, consistent speed** except as noted below"
Bad "No notification of network infrastructure changes, NO IPv6"
Overall "I'm gone."

Update February 2013 - Comcast Business Internet supplies dual stack IPv4/IPv6. Many times the speed with around twice the cost of Earthlink DSL. Earthlink still cannot spell IPv6. With regret, I'm gone.

UPDATE June 2012 - OK, System, I'm still here. Except for three or four temporary PPPoE Server failures, service is still robust and reliable. (2.5 down/.43 up) Of course, the support people all wanted me to rewire my network and reboot all elements before they would even consider that there might be a problem on their end. My standard approach is, "I did that and the problem was still there.", because, for the most part, I did and it was. In _every_ case the problem was resolved outside of my CPE.

I still want IPv6 connectivity. UVerse is _not_ a choice for me because of no IPv6 and also because Carrier Grade Nat (CGN) is due soon. My conversations with Comcast IPv6 people give me hope (but no dates). Maybe this fall.

UPDATE Nov 2010 - I want native IPv6 connectivity. IPv6 cannot be found on the Earthlink web site. Calling the sales contact number got first no recognition of the term IPv6. After I supplied my father's middle name, the rep paused and said, "We don't offer IPv6." I asked, "When will you offer IPv6?" The response was, "We don't offer IPv6." (rinse and repeat) Then I asked, "Who in Earthlink can tell me when I can get IPv6 from Earthlink.?" After consultation, the rep said I must contact my system vendor. After my pressing the point, the rep said, "Nobody at Earthlink knows." I offered my opinion about that and thanked him for his time. My rating of Earthlink Pre Sales information has declined accordingly.

UPDATE Feb 2010 - I realized that my speed was down from the ~2.5Mbps down I've had for years. I called Earthlink and the call dropped after a while. While I was on the line with another rep, the first called me back!!! I did cooperate in performing diagnostics. Then my complaint was referred to ATT. The next day I got a call offering appointment times. THEY CALLED ME, AGAIN! The ATT tech arrived early in the window, fixed the line, and told us it was fixed. IT WAS FIXED!! Except for the temporary drop in speed, my service has been rock solid.

!!!

I have to give Earthlink/ATT kudos for good and effective response.

!!!

I blame the previous problem (below) on poor training of the support personnel about the changeover.

Fall 2009

**I've had Earthlink DSL since 2001. My 3Mbps service has consistently delivered 2.5Mbps/325Kbps until they recently changed without notification from covad.net to sbcglobal.net. My speeds changed to 1.7/430.

It took three hours of online chat and telephone calls, spread over two days, to get it fixed. Most of that time was spent waiting for Earthlink to admit that they had changed their network. I finally got a fifth someone who called ATT and got it fixed and even called me to let me know. Now I get 2.5/430, actually an improvement.

Bottom line - reliable service, BOFH support - most nice people with poor communications skills and no ability to actually help. It should not take over 16 hours wall clock to get through to a helpful person. Oh, also, the sales contact would not even discuss the problem to tell me if my service terms had changed.

member for 9.5 years, 1958 visits, last login: 8 days ago

Comments:

Review by aw3dhg See Profile

• Location: Bloomingburg,Sullivan,NY
Good "pretty fast, slightly lower cost over road runner.. update .. no longer true .. same cost"
Bad "no actual physical tech support and TWC refers you back to EL for support"
Overall "ok with me .."

15mb down 1mb up minus tcp overhead of course
self install ..

member for 12.9 years, 3023 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LyndaN See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
Good "Decent speed for the money; Personal web space."
Bad "Occasional speed issues."
Overall "I'm not planning to switch any time soon."

We signed up for Earthlink DSL in 2000, when 3.5Mbps was a really high speed. Due to the quality of the telephone lines we only get 2.5Mbps but it's good enough for our daily uses.

The modem was a breeze to install, and over the years I received an update from an Arescom 800 to the ZyXEL P660R-ELNK Router for ADSL I currently use.

Originally we had signed up for Netcom, and through them I was given six accounts each with 10MB of personal web space. As Netcom was absorbed by Mindspring and ultimately Earthlink, I was allowed to keep the web space and my established pages. Other services I have looked into over the years don't offer the hosting space for the price.

My only complaint is the occasional drop in speed, sometimes to 367kbps. I dread contacting support, especially when the problem is in their line, because they have me reset the modem over and over. I have the script memorized, in fact.

But when it works, it works great for the price.