EarthLink page on DSLReports

Review by mradich See Profile

• Location: Glendale,Los Angeles,CA

I have not had any problem with earthlink and my install. I recieved my software in the mail before the install of the dsl modem. i called to check on my account to verify my install date and what i need to do left. nothing more untill dsl modem is installed. the pacbell guy came 2 days later and installed the modem and left. i installed the software which installed fine. I was browsing with in minutes.

Great service and the time i had to call tech support was no problem. i did have to wait one time for 18 min for a responce but that is to be expected from time to time. another friend got dsl with earthlink and had no problem with them but did have a problem with pacbell. pacbell blamed earthlink and earthlink proved to me that it was pacbell, which it turned out to be the case. typical with pacbell, they don't wan't to take responsibility for their own incompetence.

Comments:

Review by sharkyd See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA

I called MindSpring in early October to inquire about the Max ADSL service.
I was told they weren't taking any new orders in Atlanta, GA until the
first of November. Not being a very patient person, I called again in the
middle of October and was told I could now get ADSL. The customer service
rep was very pleasant and answered all of my questions. I proceeded with
the signup procedure and received an installation date of October 30th.
On the 30th, I got a call from a MindSpring install tech saying he was
running late and wouldn't be able to get to my place until 7pm. At 7pm,
I received another call from him saying a technician wouldn't be there
until 9pm. The technician finally showed up at 9pm. The installation took
maybe 30 minutes. I already had a NIC installed in my computer, so the
technician only had to install the MindSpring DSL software, plug in the
Alcatel DSL modem, and install filters on the phones in my house. I was
using with my new ADSL service a half hour after the tech walked through
the door.

Overall I have been very pleased with my MindSpring ADSL service. I have
the 1.5Mb/256K service, and I am happy with the speed. I haven't had time
to do a good speed test, but so far I've seen 60 - 70KB/s when downloading
files. And I haven't had any problems with the Alcatel 1000 DSL modem.
As a test, I've powered it down several times, and I also moved it to another
phone outlet without any problems. I would highly recommend the MindSpring
Max DSL service to anyone. For details on the service visit: »www.mindspring.net/mindspringmax/

Steve Travis
Atlanta, GA

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA

MindSpring Rocks!!

I just want to say that with the multitude of complaints coming in about
most ISPs and their ability to perform a timely install and support the new
DSL product, my experience with MindSpring has been as perfect as anyone
could expect. Although the sales person was not the most technically savvy
person, he was able to give me the basic information that I needed and get
the process rolling. My install date was only 2 1/2 weeks past the day I
called to sign up, and the when the installer arrived, again, everything ran
smoothly. I was up and connected @ 1.1 M/s in 45 minutes. I've called
MindSpring's support group for a few basic questions and they have been
nothing but courteous and helpful. I am "Happier with MindSpring".

My $0.02,
Dave

(review was emailed from domain mindspring.net)

Comments:

Review by nbfree See Profile

• Location: North Hollywood,Los Angeles,CA

I had Earthlink DSL installed on Oct 7th. The Pac Bell tech came out and put in the splitter. That was about all he did correctly. I was at work, my girlfriend waited for the Pac Bell tech. He called me three times saying he couldn't get the system to boot up (K6-2 350 mhz Win98). When I finally walked him through this simple task, he then shut the system down to put the Network card in for the DSL connection. When booting up the system he claimed the card was "conflicting". I asked if he knew how to manually fix a conflict, to which he replied "no". I then feared his incompetence would damage my system, so I told him to leave everything for me to install. When I arrived home I found the network card lying outside of my computer, the Alcatel modem in the box unopened, and no WinPoet CD-ROM software( necessary to connect to my Earthlink account using the ADSL modem). Needless to say there was no conflict with the network card, the system booted up recognized it and installed it without a hitch. I called Earthlink requesting an FTP site where I could download the WinPoet software, it took two calls and a hold time of 1 1/2 hours to get this information. Now I have a degree in Computer Information Systems, installing a network card and hooking up a modem is not a problem for me. My concern is that the average net citizen will be lulled into a false sense of security with the so called "ease of installation" that the DSL salespeople espouse.

The consumer should not have to work so hard and then pay $198.00 install/equipment fee. All I will say is "buyer beware". On the positive side, I am happy with the "high speed" that DSL has afforded me. Earthlink has been a fairly decent ISP, except for the long hold time on their phones. Pac Bell erred in allowing an ill-trained and unknowledgable technician into the homes of consumers.

member for 15.1 years, 146 visits, last login: 4.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by economist14 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA

I called Earthlink as soon as I heard they had DSL, since they've been my very satisfactory dial-up carrier. They arranged everything via GTE. Information was complete, and the sign on package arrived the day of the install. Downloading and installing MacPoET was a breeze. It took about 10 seconds to set up my TCP/IP control panel.
The installer, from GTE, showed up at the end of the day, and was quite friendly and knowledgeable. It took about an hour for him to do the inside wiring. I then plugged the DSL modem in and everything worked right out of the box.

It is a very good deal. Free install, a free modem (it was a Fujitsu Speedport DSL) which I get to own, and $49-odd a month for ~640 k (nominal) to me and 128k from me dynamic IP via MacPoET. One year contract with a $125 cancellation penalty. Earthlink has a special toll-free number for broadband service and support, and it is pretty efficient and knowledgeable.

So far everything is working fine and I am a happy camper.

David Sternlight

member for 15.1 years, 53 visits, last login: 11.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by oldgolfguy See Profile

• Location: Glendale,Los Angeles,CA

I signed up with Earthlink through PacBell in September with one phone call for 384/128 service. Ten days later, at the scheduled time, PacBell showed up,installed the splitter in my condo phone vault, installed a voice/date outlet, internet card, etc and had the ADSL working within two hours.

I've got a dymanic IP but who cares. I'm connected 24X7 and have to occasionally reboot anyway after installed upgrades, etc.

Earthlink/PacBell have had two outages in the last 5 weeks, lasting less than one hour.

DU Meter has indicated in excess of 2,100 kbs on multiple high speed down loads from fast sites. Web pages consistently DL between 20-50 kBs. I'd guess my link limit is an easy 1500+kbs and is only limited by the net hops.

The Acatel modem has been on continuously since installation and has never lost the link!

I called tech support late in the evening a few times when my wsock or dialer got out of wack and never waited more than a few minutes and got the problems resolved quickly.

I've been with Earthlink for at least five years and have always been pleased with the reliabily of the service.

I'm a happy camper!

Comments:

Review by kbyrd See Profile

• Location: Sherman Oaks,Los Angeles,CA

Ordering was a breeze, the install was scheduled quickly. PacBell did the work at my location and it was efficient. Once PacBell left, my problems began, Earthlink didn't provision my line correctly and it took many calls over 5 days to get it fixed. Their tech support people I spoke with were either VERY good, or didn't do a thing for me or my problem. Once the install problem was fixed on their end, the speed is great and connection works flawlessly.