Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

EarthLink page on DSLReports

Review by voodooman65 See Profile

• Location: Cocoa,Brevard,FL
Good "IT is usually solid as a rock and great tools come with being with earthlink."
Bad "none that i can think of"
Overall "best bang for my dollars"

i carry the 7mps download speed through earthlink. Via Brighthouse networks. they offer a 40 mps if i choose road runner but i ahve been and earthlink customer since it was mindspring. No problems with earthlink at all. Even customer service has helped me in some tight spots when i got separated. Hey no matter where i move if i can get earthlink i am going to use earthlink. not to many companies are worth that kind of claiom especially from me.

Voodooman65

Comments:

Review by GypsyRN See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Montgomery,OH
  • Telco party Ameritech

·DIRECTV
I have not had earth link in so long I can't remember when I had it!

member for 14.6 years, 5982 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by J0SEPH See Profile

• Location: Cherry Hill,Camden,NJ
  • Telco party Covad
Good "Great speed at an unbeatable price"
Bad "Haven't found any yet"
Overall "Flawless"

Cancelled my Verizon 640/90 @ $40 service on 3/5. Ordered Earthlink (Mindspring/Covad) 1.5/384 @ $50 service on 3/6. Got emailed confirmation of order within 48 hours. Order status page at Earthlink was updated within 4 days.

My activation date was 3/14 and all went smoothly. I was provisioned on 3/16 and I was online by 5 PM with incredible speeds (1300/300) without tweaking.

It may have helped that I Fedexed a letter to Verizon Presidential Appeals pleading with them to release my DSL line in a timely manner (which they did on 3/12).

All in all I have had a terrific experience with Earthlink/Mindspring/Covad and I hope it continues.

The unexplained email and DSL outages with Verizon were totally unacceptable so I look forward to outstanding service with Earthlink/Mindspring.

Jump forward to April 20. Earthlink is WONDERFUL !

If you can qualify for Mindspring/Covad service then what are you waiting for ? Just do it !

Jump forward to 3 years later. Still with Earthlink DSL. Great speeds 1.5/384 at a great price.

Jump forward to almost 4 years later. Still with Earthlink/Covad DSL. I have just received a free speed upgrade from 1.5 to 3.0 service. Double the speed with no price increase? Life is sweet. Thanks Earthlink/Covad!

Jump Forward to 5 1/2 years later. Still with Earthlink/Covad DSL. I have just received ANOTHER free upgrade from 3.0 to 6.0 service. In addition, my monthly rate was reduced by $10.00 to match an offer only available to new subscribers. I am married to Earthlink. I cannot find one negative thing to say about them.

Jump forward to 9 years later. Still with Earthlink/Covad DSL. Still a very happy customer. Thank you Earthlink. Thank you Covad!

member for 15.1 years, 695 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by newo2u See Profile

• Location: Saint Petersburg,Pinellas,FL
Good "Web site had decent information"
Overall "Install coordination with Brighthouse was painless; Earthlink was cheaper than Brighthouse for same speed and term."

4/13/2010
I called Earthlink to enroll in their $29.95 specila using Brighthouse cable for delivery. The Earthlink rep was nice enough, but told me the install would be free. I made sure to point out to her that I needed a drop and she said Brighthouse would take care of that. Brighthouse said they would, for a fee.

FIrst update: I received an e-mail from Earthlink informing me that:
Dear EarthLink Subscriber,
We're writing to confirm that the following change was made to your account via My Account:
Account Name: *******
Account Number: *******
Account Change: Telephone Contact Disabled.

Guess they really do not want to talk to anyone.

Install set for 4/16/2010...more info once installed.

Brighthouse completed install today. My Brighthouse review covers that. No other contact with Earthlink. No issues with speed or connectivity. Of course it has only been one day.

member for 5 years, 2 visits, last login: 5 years ago

Comments:

Review by wes See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Price was right, speed good in my midtown Atlanta area"
Bad "customer service is now useless; initial tech support barely tolerable"
Overall "No complaints, but thank God for DSLreports.com and helpful tech-savvy friends."

I was a dial-up midspringer from 1998. Went to DSL in 2004.
The price was 39.95/mo for a 3.0Mb/s down/384 Kb/s up connection.

Order & Install was smooth, except that Bellsouth gave me trouble provisioning the line. Bellsouth bounced me to multiple sales people, claiming they were forwarding me to tech help with provisioning Covad for Earthlink. Earthlink was fine, but the tel-co was petulant and hostile to the process.

I actually had equipment in place before synch first appeared, so was ready to go as soon as the buzz was heard on the line... Filters and a Westel modem arrived from EL, but only got used in emergencies or for troubleshooting.

Comments:

Review by deca1975 See Profile

• Location: Floral Park,Nassau,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "good"
Bad "bad"
Overall "eh"

Removed review

Comments:

Review by jmorison See Profile

• Location: New Bern,Craven,NC
Good "Installation, reliability, speed"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Excellent"

·Suddenlink
Windows XP, 1.7G processor, XP PPPoE.

Sign-up was easy. I have an alarm system so I had to select telco-installation which ended up being a real plus. Zero added cost, but I got a splitter at the NID and hands-on installation by a very DSL-knowledgable tech. He stayed for log-on and ran a speed test with his handheld modem at 576 (512 line). I already had a home-run which eased installation. I was one of the first 2 installs from the local CO and was pleasantly surprised at the tech's DSL knowledge. DSL is $39.99 monthly. Sprint "loans" a Sprint (ZyXel) 642M, brand new.

The Earthlink package was a few days late with my logon and password but their toll-free number cured that prior to installation. Earthlink service has been reliable, and is discounted to $10/month for 512/128 service. I like their spam filter, as my prior local ISP had none and spam was increasing. Dynamic ISP, ZAP 3.0 protected.

Speeds are consistently good, 478 up, 132 down on a 512/128, using a Speakeasy.com test from Washington DC. No downtime since install December 1. Tweak tests show no negatives even with an XP-default RWIN. I tested at the lower recommended RWIN and found no change in speed or retransmits.

Update 12/2/02, nearly 1 year, still very satisfied. Only one down time, about 1 hour in 11 months.

Update 7/9/03: I went up to the 1.5 line for $15 more/month in April, still absolutely bullet-proof reliability. For the upgrade, even though it's all done at the CO, Sprint sent a man by to check the actual speed the morning of the upgrade. My actual speed has run between 1399 and 1482 on tests with the Sprint Speed web page. His handheld modem measured about 1.7 raw line speed at the time of upgrade.

Update 1/11/04: Absolutely top notch. One instance of downtime--about 3 hours, and dial up was still available. The tech I called was able to tell me they were having a problem with one card at my telco point, just affecting a few customers, tech on way to replace it. Back on as promised. Sprint/Earthlink is a great service.

Update 7/12/04: Continued reliability (zero down since above), good speeds (average 1.44 on a 1.5 line).

Update 4/7/05: Absolutely no problems.

Update 11/25/05: Upgraded to 3.0 MB and reduced monthly cost $10. Zero problems in the past 6 months. Getting actual speeds of 2.84 consistently.

Update 5/26/06: Reduced the cost another $10 with the latest package, and no more extended term now, just a monthly bill of $45 including Earthlink. Continued great service.

Update 2/17/07: Reduced costs more, now only $24.95 monthly, no hiccups in service, consistent speed at 1424 on a 1.5 line (moved to New Bern and too distant for 3.0). The Kitty Hawk line was also reduced to 1.5 since it is not often used now, however that service and availability is just as good.

Update 11/2/07: Now called Embarq, but same rock solid service. I converted early in April 07 from Earthlink to Embarq email and all went very well. In October 07 there were a few bad email days as they converted the last of the accounts--the late adapters and most likely those with the least PC savvy, but it is fine again now. No downtime that I can recall since 2/07, on a DHCP 660 modem now, at their suggestion, and my speeds remain 1424 on a 1500. I'm too far away for 3.0, and honestly, having had it at another location, don't see the need for my particular 90% internet surfing use.

Update 9/14/08: Now Embarq for both Telco and Internet. Now using Dell XPS 420 Quad core, with Vista. No downtime in the past year for me in Eastern NC, consistent service, no need to contact support. A+

Update Jan 2010: Left Embarq for Suddenlink cable internet. Pricing was advantageous through bundling, and Embarq could not boost my speed beyond 1.5 due to my location. I chose a 10 MB Suddenlink plan, actually getting 11 on all tests. Embarq had good service, almost no disruptions in almost 10 years. Hated to leave but money and speed won out.

member for 13.3 years, 4684 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Danger Pilot See Profile

• Location: Fairburn,Fulton,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Reliable, for 3.5 years"
Bad "Tech Support could be better."
Overall "Works great."

The service has been very reliable over the 3.5 years since I upgraded from MindSpring dialup to MindSpring DSL.

I've only had one major issue in that time, about 6 months ago, which took around 2 weeks to get everything restored. Part of the solution apparently required a reprovision which changed my VPI/VCI circuit from the grandfathered 8/35 to 0/35. Nobody told me this, finally one tech support rep at TRON finally took the time to really troubleshoot with me and finally told me to try 0/35. I was back up instantly.

In my opinion, E-Link isn't remotely what MindSpring used to be. RIP MindSpring, we miss you.

member for 15.1 years, 5520 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jimmyjob See Profile

• Location: Alvin,Brazoria,TX

great signal good services

Comments:

Review by dbennett1106 See Profile

• Location: Ukiah,Mendocino,CA