EarthLink page on DSLReports

Review by torchstar See Profile

• Location: San Rafael,Marin,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "Customer Service is prompt, knowledgeable, and very friendly any time day or night."
Bad "I don't have any to report."
Overall "Whenever someone mentions shopping for an ISP I always recommend earthlink."

We have been satisfied Earthlink clients for 7 years. I have found them to be so responsive from the start. And boy did we need help in the beginning!

The first ISP was a nightmare (Long and gory story). After bailing from them I signed up with Earthlink. The previous ISP had to release our lines, and the process was what made our "Days from order to success" take longer. The support people at Earthlink were more than eager to help iron out the challenging strange kinks in our service. Every service person I spoke with knew the details of my case- I didn't have to repeat the story over and over! After several attempts to hook up failed, I was passed to a Level 3 tron tech- his miraculous rubber mallet wallop brought our line to life. If I run across the notes I kept then I'll add the details here, but the crux of the biscuit is EARTHLINK DSL is #1. Their customer service is stellar.

Comments:

Review by jamez818 See Profile

• Location: Sunland,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Covad
Good "Fastest DSL connection available in my area"
Bad "Going thru Covad for dsl and phone"
Overall "We will see if it works out, so far it has been good."

Been on Earthlink for about one year and six months now and the connection reliability in the past two months has been really bad. Before that it was great, very steady connection with an ocasional outage that usually got resolved within a few hours. When my connection is stable the speed is great. I'm getting 8mb down and 1mb up! The other competitors in my area are Timewarner and Verizon which i already tried. For the price and the speed I feel i am getting the best.

Bad points:

Earthlink tech support seemed like they just wanted me to get off the phone. Everyday i need to reset my connection at least twice.

member for 13.8 years, 1818 visits, last login: 3.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Hall See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Montgomery,OH
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Rock-solid reliable and fast (enough)"
Overall "I like it"

Placed my order on 10/18/2000; got the $39.95/month deal, $299 rebate (Covad installation and equipment, etc), free setup, 6-month contract after mentioning that Ameritech charges $39.95/month locally (forgot to tell 'em the speed is only 768/128 ... whoops). Salesperson "Lewis" was very friendly, knowledgeable, and polite ! Confirmation e-mail was waiting for me as soon as we hung up the phone and I checked my mail.

Since the confirmation e-mail from Mindspring and Covad, I've rec'd absolutely no information or status from either company !! I've had to call and e-mail them both myself to get any news. Luckily, so far I've been getting pretty good news: Ameritech checked and qualifed my line withing 3 days of order; since then it's been awfully quiet -- just found out yesterday, Nov 3rd, that Ameritech is scheduled to do the "cross-connect" on the 8th. I suppose I'll have to call and find out if it happened or not. You can be sure that I will ! After that, I should get an install date from Covad. Hopefully, by that time all of the bandwidth problems for Dayton users will be resolved !!

Update (three days after install):

Covad tech arrived about 8:05-8:10am and was gone shortly after 8:30. I'd already installed a phone jack and ran wire *to* my demarc point, but let him hook it up. I asked about an "NID Splitter" but he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. Don't think I need it anyway. I get plenty good speeds, normally above 1100k download and 300k upload.

=====================

After almost 3 years to the day (placed order on 10/18... back then, it took *weeks*, not days, to get installed... as I recall, it was 29 days) I'm switching to Earthlink Cable (via TW RR). I have ZERO complaints about my DSL and couldn't have asked for anything better. In three years, I only know of 1-1/2 days of downtime and this was a major nationwide outage. It made the national news, I think. Bottom line is, after three years, other than a 6-month special deal, the price hasn't changed. I signed up for a promotional $40/month deal for 6-9 months (it could go up after six months but didn't right away). Then it went up to $50/month (Ouch !). Back in April or May of 2003 I got them to "price-match" Ameritech's rate for ~$30/month for 6 months. When the six months was about up, I missed the boat on getting it extended. Well, they'd happily allow me to "start over" just like a new customer. Downside of that: A new 12-month contract.

EL Cable has a few pluses over EL DSL, but I also have the unknowns, so we'll see how it goes.

1/04/2009 update

I cancelled this service quite some time ago... Shouldn't this review system have a way to mark a service as no longer in use ? Or does it ?

member for 14.2 years, 7899 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by antoinefinch See Profile

• Location: Fayetteville,Cumberland,NC
  • Telco party Sprint
Good "good web browser"
Bad "lower speeds than on cable"
Overall "works with cable or DSL"

EARTHLINK OFFERS EMAIL PREMIUN ALSO EARTHLINK WEBMAIL SETUp A BREEZE.Phone company offers instead of AOL.fast access installs with ease.

member for 8.8 years, 139 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by kiddigital See Profile

• Location: Deltona,Volusia,FL
Good "Wicked speed, insane uptime."
Bad "Nothing major. Could use a bit more upload speed."
Overall "Blessed to have such a reliable affordable high speed option in my area."

·Earthlink Cable ..
I've had EarthLink Cable Internet (and previously Roadrunner on the same wire from Brighthouse) since it became available in my area in the summer of 2000. since then it's increased in speed from 1.5 Mbps to 7 Mbps and dropped in price from $49.99 to $41.95. I've had a grand total of maybe 5 outages in those 8 years. The only thing they could do to be perfect in my eyes is bump up the upload speed a bit. I honestly can't complain too much about the service I've had from Brighthouse over the last 8 years.

member for 14.1 years, 2689 visits, last login: 124 days ago

Comments:

Review by arothman See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "No surcharges on DSL only"
Bad "Occasional short connectivity drop- just long enough to disconnect from online games, etc."
Overall "Decent service if you're not gaming."

My first foray into DSL was smooth and easy with Earthlink's help. Their deals are decent and I haven't been charged any surcharges. The customer support (the rare times I needed it) were polite and helpful. They don't specify what speeds I have, but as it was at least a couple of years ago, I'm sure that they were minimal since I currently don't have blazing speeds.

I've also experienced brief connectivity drops- usually not for longer than a minute. Ordinarily this would be nearly unnoticable if the service is used for web browsing and collecting email messages. When one plays online games however, this quickly becomes annoying when one has to run the diagnostics 1 - 3 times to confirm the connection is back up, reconnect to the game, and then hunt down the other players one was previously teaming with in order to rejoin... sometimes repeatedly one night, sometimes once every month or two.

I only wish they could package their services with other companies so that I could have my phone bill, cellphone and DSL on one bill, especially now that I need to upgrade my services.

Comments:

Review by rothenmr See Profile

• Location: Palmdale,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Very reliable. Almost never down; twice in 8 years"
Bad "tech support sucks."

I can't complain, although DSL speed is slow at times. I have called tech support twice in 8 years. Service is very reliable. All the neighbors complain about how often their cable service or AT&T service is down. Also, they complain email is missing or takes days to deliver. Never an issue with EarthLink. Most reliable service. However, when you have to call tech support the morons don't know where you live, even after you explain to them 6 times, and they don't have a clue what is happening with your service. AND they want to walk through each step one by one no matter your technical skill level. I felt like I was training the tech support rep how to help me. So when your service may be down for less than an hour just reboot modem, routers, etc. and hope all is well. Overall good experience.

Comments:

Review by DrModem See Profile

• Location: USA
  • Telco party Sprint
Good "Super Reliable, Really Fast,"
Overall "If you can get this service, It's a good option."

·exede by ViaSat
I had Earthlink DSL through Sprint in Kingsport, TN. Ordered speed was 1.5 down/768 up. The service was pretty much flawless, it never went out, slowed down etc. We had to call tech support once about a problem with our computer not connecting, but they weren't able to resolve our problem (it turned out our ethernet card was bad) All in all, excellent service and speed.

member for 7.7 years, 3279 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cliffburger See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Cost is good"
Bad "Service & installation slow - local phone company was not cooperative"
Overall "Acceptable."

I had periodic trouble with connections, always short lived. Their core offering is fine. They attempt to add value with web mail, software bundles, which are all very poor. Earthlinks continuous "special offers" (spam) into earthlink mail accounts probably simply bother most customers.

As usual, pre-sale information attempts to hide the ongoing rate. (E.g. listing 20$ for first three months ... it takes some digging to find the real rate).

Earthlink does not publish upstream bandwidth for residential plans - important if, like me, you occasionally work from home and need the bandwidth back to the office.

Comments:

Review by Aygeear See Profile

• Location: Stockton,San Joaquin,CA
Good "Installation simple - California Earthlink reps very helpful"
Bad "Eastern Earthlink DSL reps are salespeople - no tech savvy"
Overall "Generally good service - good value for the money"

My wife and I live on a yacht and have two Macintosh computers networked together so that we can share files as well as a printer, scanner, and external removeable storage devices. Each computer has an internal NIC connected to a NetGear 4-port hub.

Earthlink has been our ISP for several years, and we connected to the internet via 56K modems. We wanted to switch to a cable modem, but cable was unavailable on our dock and the cable company wanted $6000 to run a cable to us.

In early September 2000, Earthlink offered us DSL for $39.95/month with a free self-install kit and no other charges (six-month contract). No specific speed was promised, but maximum was set at 1500 down and 256 up. I checked with PacBell locally, and found that we were 3000 feet from their local central office (CO). When I responded to Earthlink's offer on their website, they said that DSL was unavailable in my area. So, I called their Broadband Sales office and had them check again. After a brief runaround, I was told that I was talking to an Eastern office, and they gave me a number to call in So. California. I called that office and they confirmed almost immediately that DSL service was definitely available in my area. They gave me a number to call in No. California, where I live, and the name of a rep to talk to. When I called that rep, he checked my phone line, confirmed my distance from the CO, and gave me an Order No. The next day, he sent me e-mail giving me a connect date of October 18, 2000.

As promised, the self-install kit arrived on October 15th. It contained a Westell modem, 10 base-T ethernet card, five telephone filters and a wall mount filter, assorted cables, line splitters, and an installation guide. I separately purchased a NetGear 311 router. The welcome kit from Earthlink, containing the software CD, did not arrive by October 18th, so I called the No. California rep. He apologized and gave me a link and password to a site where I could download the (MacPoET) software. We agreed that I didn't really need the software if I was going to use a router, but it would be good to have for troubleshooting, if needed. (The PPPoE protocol is built into the router.)

On October 18th, I performed the installation which took about 15 minutes or less. I plugged the router into my hub, plugged the DSL modem into the router, plugged a telephone line into the DSL modem, put filters on all telephones including the lines to the 56K modems, and configured the TCP/IP control panels on both Macs for DHCP using the router. When I powered everything up, all lights turned green indicating a connection to the CO, but I couldn't connect to the internet. I called the No. California rep and he checked with PacBell. PacBell said that they were adding more DSL ports in the CO, and expected to be finished in a day or so. I was actually connected to the CO, but my port had not been activated yet. Finally, on October 21st, DSL was fully operational. The Welcome Kit from Earthlink also arrived on that day.

I have run speed tests and the best runs were in the range of 900-1100 down and 100-200 up. The normal range is 700-850 down and 50-150 up. Recently, Earthlink has been having problems in No. California and I have had speeds as low as 50-250 down and 20 up! I don't know whether PacBell or Earthlink is to blame.

Overall, my main complaint is that Earthlink's DSL service is not consistent. There are way too many outages and slowdowns. Again, I don't know whether PacBell or Earthlink is to blame. Otherwise, I am satisfied with Earthlink.

Finally, when dealing with customer service or tech service personnel, I have found that it makes a world of difference if you can get connected to someone in your local area. "Home Office" personnel are generally not familiar with local problems and may not have the latest information for your area.

UPDATE - 12/13/2000 Earthlink/PacBell have repaired whatever it was that caused my slow speed connection. Since 12/8/2000 I have been consistently running at speeds between 1200-1300 down and 110-150 up. My promised speeds were 1500/128 max.

UPDATE - 9/24/2004 We moved our yacht to Stockton in August 2001. During the transfer and setup of our DSL service, PacBell had two technicians on site to troubleshoot problems. Within a day or so, all problems were resolved and we have had rock-steady, reliable service ever since. Earthlink hosts six of my websites (no extra charge) and I am completely satisfied with their service. The average speeds are still as previously stated.

UPDATE - 8/14/2008 Service continues to be excellent with very few interruptions. Average download speed is still in the range of 1200-1300, but upload has increased and is consistently in the range of 320-350. Monthly fee for DSL has not increased in 8 years and is still $39.95/month with 20 hours of free dialup included, if needed.

member for 13.6 years, 3171 visits, last login: a few hours ago