EarthLink page on DSLReports

Review by indyattic See Profile

• Location: Hoffman Estates,Cook,IL
Good "Cheap, little down time"
Bad "Their service is AWFUL"
Overall "Only suitable for DIYers"

I am a non-techie soccer Mom, who doesn't download music or play WoW. I tend to only surf and watch Netflix.

Before Earthlink, we had AT&T DSL. It was down a lot, so we switched to Earthlink when we moved. It does not seem to experience the outages that AT&T did.

But - argh - their customer service is horrible. They really should just fire everybody in India, knock $10 off the price and turn it into a DIY DSL service.

I finally got my problem fixed when I found a blog written by an executive. I posted a comment, and got a phone call the next day. Once I spoke to somebody with the intelligence to deviate from script, the problems were fixed, but nobody should have to work that hard to get a service issue resolved.

I use Gmail now, so when I have to leave earthlink my mail won't be disrupted.

member for 9 years, 24 visits, last login: 4 years ago

Comments:

Review by ed See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Good, reliable connection"
Bad "Changes rate plan on some customers"
Overall "If they lower the price to $40 again I would recommend you sign up"

I have EL DSL for almost 2 years now. I've had the dial-up at first and then I was among the first to signed up when they've announced DSL for $49.95. It took them almost a month to finally get it working on my computer. The reason was miscommunication between EL, Verizon (my local phone company) and the third party from outside hired to install the splitter. But once it was up and running, I have no complain. The speed was pretty consistent. Once in a while they would have routine system maintenance (which they would announce on their website). Overall I would say I'm pretty happy with them. I've heard some stories that they were not honoring the $39.95/mo. on some of the customers which is pretty bad. I work as a computer consultant and have recommended them to a few of my clients which if they ever sign up with EL for 30 days, I would get credited for $20.- which they did. Oh! almost forgot to mention the equipment. I've got the Fujitsu DSL modem (Speedport) and the first one has to be replaced with in hours of installation. The second one lasted until now. Another one is the cable coming from the splitter into the DSL modem was also replaced after a few weeks. After that it's smooth sailing.

Comments:

Review by scuzzcatt See Profile

• Location: Plainfield,Hendricks,IN
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Tech support"
Overall "It works"

Since dslreports keeps bugging me to write this here goes. I've had the service for 6.5 years so some of the install info is best estimate.

At the time I got Earthlink DSL it was the only broadband option available where I live. I got the 1.5Mb up/300Kb down package. After a couple years they upgraded me to the 3 Mb down service which turned out to be a disaster at my distance of 17,000 ft. I say disaster because it took several days and hours on the phone for their tech support to figure this out. Once I got to tier 3 support though they sorted it in minutes by setting safemode speed of 2 Mb down. Speed is consistent at 1650 down and 325 up

Install was self-install package. Took maybe 30 minutes total to install the phone filters, plug in the modem, and set the PPOE ID and password in my router. None of the supplied software was needed. The supplied Speedstream 5260 modem has been reliable.

I can't emphasize tech support issues enough. Anytime you call no matter what the situation they will run you through the drill. Doesn't matter if you've already done it. Reboot the modem, reconnect the phone line and then start in on your computer settings. Don't start this process on a cordless phone. No battery is big enough. Once they've beaten your computer network settings to death you'll (maybe) get sent up to a higher level support. On one instance they made enough changes to my PC that it was simpler and faster to Ghost it back instead of trying to go back and straighten out the 6 hours of changes they made to finally figure out it was a problem on their end. They've even told me the modem itself was bad to try and get me to re-up on a contract. In all cases these issues have turned out to be network issues on their end. In 6 years the only one decent tech support experience was when I called sales and told them I wanted to upgrade by switching to someone else. I was immediately sent to a higher level tech who traced the line problem in minutes. Of course I'd spent hours on the phone the day before with the entry level without a fix...

Fortunately the thing has been reliable enough to not drive me away. If I had to deal with tech support any more often then every one or two years I'd be gone. As time has gone by more options have come available. However, the local cable company has difficulty with TV so I can't imagine how they'd do as an ISP and their tech support is even worse than Earthlink. The one time I tried for another DSL service the loop distance stopped it.

So in the end the good is definitely the reliability. As to the bad do I need to say anymore about tech support.

Comments:

Review by fractalman93 See Profile

• Location: Newport News,Newport News City,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable connectivity. Good customer service."
Bad "Tech support was better before the Mindspring/Earthlink merger."
Overall "As with any DSL service, you have to be within about 2 miles (not necessarily straight line) from CO to get 3MB dl / 384KB ul"

I signed on with Mindspring in October of 1998. Tech support was great and they were cheaper than my previous ISP for dial-up access. Mindspring merged with Earthlink in February 2000. From that point, tech support quality went down a few notches. Nevertheless, I have stuck with them because connectivity has been reliable and I really don't want to change my e-mail address.

I upgraded to DSL in July 2004. On the downside, I had to restart my contract when I moved across town in April 2005. On the upside, I got the current discount (19.95 for the first 6 months) when the contract restarted.

I would sign a 2 year contract if they would guarantee me $29.95 / month for all 24 months. The total would probably come to about $35, but that's better than the $46 that I was paying.

I am currently paying $39.95 for 3mbps dl / 768kbps ul. I'm happy with that.

Fractalman93

Comments:

Review by asciirider See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Reliable service, Steady speeds"
Bad "Other than Covad not bringing me out a network card, none"
Overall "Overall, a pretty good value"

After reading some of the reviews here, I thought I'd wait a couple months after getting DSL so I wouldn't have to append my verdicts.

I called Earthlink to order DSL as they finally had it available here in my part of Chicago around July 13th. The salesperson answered any questions I had and told me yes, you can still have your Earthlink email address, even thought the DSL will be provided by Mindspring, and that I can use Mindspring dialup access for free until the install (Main reason I waited on Earthlink for DSL was I didn't want to switch email addresses). Later that day, I get an email from Covad saying that Ameritech will be out in 7 days to do the line install.

7 days later, Ameritech shows up and installs the line. I get an email from Covad saying they'll be out in 7 days.

Another 7 days goes by and the Covad tech shows up on time, right in the middle of the time window. He hooks up the line outside, then asks where I want it installed. I show him, and says ok, and wires the jack in my room for the DSL line. hooks up an Eficient 5260 modem and no synch. I asked if it could possibly be because I ran this line up here myself when I moved the computer up here a year ago? He checks the splice in the line, reconnects it and tapes the exposed ends together and we come back upstairs, and the modem's synched. Now, for the only problem I had with Covad. He asks ok, where's your NIC. told him this computer's never had one, and Mindspring says it was included, according to his paperwork it wasn't suppoused to be, and he didn't have one as the order said NIC not required (Turns out it was a computer flitch between Earthlink and Covad, all orders the day I ordered were set that way for some reason). The tech makes some calls to other installers to see if they have any cards. None do. Tech tells me he can stop back tomorrow with one, or I could go out and buy one and have Earthlink reimburse me (which is the option I took, and they did reimburse me for it).

Now, after running to Best Buy and coming home and installing the card and the software. I couldn't connect. called tech support and was escalated to level 2. The support tech and I tried everything short of sacrificing small animals to the broadband gods, but nothing would work....They could send data to my modem with no problem, I could see the lights flash, but I couldn't ping the modem at all myself. Finally the tech got wise and asked me if I'd tried another slot for the card....I check the IRQ's and lo and behold.... was using the same one as my sound card was! Told the tech I'd try that and call back if it didn't work (called the tech back as he gave me his extention to thank him for all the help).

After installing the card, running the software to do DOS diagnostics on it first this time, I try to connect......At this point I'm expecting the worst.......it actually connects! as I already pre-tweaked my system, I do a speed test and I get about 1.25M/310K.

Since then, I've installed RASPPPOE instead of the Enternet software, and I'm able to use a videochat program I couldn't with Enternet because of the modem IPsettings vs. the actual Dynamic IP address.

All in all, I'd rate Earthlink 4 out of 5. I was happy withthem as my dialup provider for 2 years, and still a happy camper with their DSL. Since I got it I think I've had a grand total of 10 minutes of downtime.

ASCII

Update Jan 2008. After getting the runaround about my speeds constantly getting lower..and lower and calls to tech support didn't do a thing. After I hit a consistent 768 or so DL speed I switched to Comcast as ELN pretty much told me my line couldn't handle the 1.5 meg speed... funny it worked fine for 5 and a half years at that speed before.

member for 14.4 years, 1080 visits, last login: 108 days ago

Comments:

Review by griffdb See Profile

• Location: Mountain View,Santa Clara,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "It works pretty well."
Bad "I'm at the end of the line from the central office, so my download speed ~1000Kb/s"
Overall "I'm happy enough not to make a change."

I started with Earthlink dial-up. I migrated to Earthlink DSL when that became available. I am not a cable subscriber, so I am not a candidate for anyone's "Triple-play". I use Work Assets for Long Distance phone, so having Earthlink for DSL is fine.

The package I have is $39.95/month for best-effort 1000-1500 KB/s download. I used get 1200 KB/s download consistently. Upload is about 300KB/s. Now I seem to get 700-1000 KB/s. Tonight I am in the 500KB/s range. This is a bummer.

The order and install process was fine. This occurred several years ago. The modem is a BroadMax LineMAX HSA300A-2.

My worst support experience was dealing with India in trying to find a local place where I could obtain a local CD of the Earthlink "Total Access" software for a PC. For some reason, it wasn't available for download at the time. I went in circles for about 1 hour.

Other support experiences have been fine. I still need to get to the bottom of download bandwidth degradation.

Comments:

Review by daeggi9 See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY
  • Telco party Covad
Good "Good steady speeds"
Bad "Calling support"
Overall "Best service in my area IMO"

I was TWC/RR customer since mid 90's, and was pretty happy with their service until couple of years ago since they wouldn't/coudn't fix peak time slow speeds at all in my area/apt building - NY 11355. The advertised 9MB down stream went down to 400kbps or worst at nights for LONG FRIGGIN TIME!!! How long is long time?? Atleast couple of years!@! This was biggest reason why I was able to stop playing online games by the way lol... May be I should thank TWC for that. Anyways....

I finally decided to move on and chose Earthlink DSL (Reselling Covad DSL). I was qualified for 6MB/0.8k (down/up) service, price was $20 for first 2 months, and $40 after the couple of months. Earthlink also charges $20 for shipping of equipment.

Earthlink completely ignored, and changed the shipping address for the equipment to my billing address which I wasn't happy with, but thanks to UPS, they re-routed it to my office, and I was able to activate the service.

The set up was pretty easy, but you will have to figure out how to use the modem as bridge in this forum if you have network going at your place.

The speed are constantly close to 5000kbps/630kpbs with 20-21ms to my closest speedtest location at speedtest.net (the service has been activated for 3 days for now, and tests shows about identical speeds at all times-atleast for now)

Here's one of the test I took at evening time.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/2099738···G][/URL]

I'm certainly sold for the reliability, so I'll be keeping the service atleast for a year.

I have to search for online games now though lol...

member for 14.6 years, 805 visits, last login: 3.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by balord See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
  • Telco party Covad
Good "Trouble-free upgrade from ADSL to ADSL2+ ('Unlimited DSL + Phone'), but..."
Bad "Got signed up for Unlimited pkg, not Unlimited Plus, 4 day outage while corrected; annoying outsourced call center"
Overall "If you want the 8.0, make sure *ahead of your connect date* that they sold you Unlimited PLUS, or"

I have been an Earthlink DSL customer since 2001, enjoying consistent 1500/380 service in Greenwich Village, NYC. After a few years, I was notified my cost was going *down* $10 a month. Nice surprise!

I called a few months ago to upgrade to Superfast DSL (8.0Mbps) + Home Phone, but it wasn't available yet. I had asked to be put on a list to notify me when it was available and never heard anything. So I called back a few weeks ago and was told after the sales rep did another line check that it was now available.

The process of ordering my upgrade from regular DSL to the DSL + Home Phone combo was overly verbose, but I had already read and researched everything online. I was merely saying yes to every selling point and making them confirm in return I was getting exactly what I wanted. I verified more than once that my package would be the 8.0Mbps one (which my rep cutely spelled out m-b-p-s as if it was the first time he ever saw the abbreviation. C'mon, you sell DSL!) I guess because we're asking Earthlink to take our phone service away from Verizon, it has to be secure and verified a lot. It made me nervous that everything was going smoothly. I was told what all the charges would be, I was told about the activation fee rebate, and told that the equipment would be sent to me, and I would be emailed about the activation date.

At couple followup emails arrived, confirming my order, activation date, etc. The emails did not mention my actual service level ordered however (more on that later). Or when my equipment would arrive, or what tracking number it shipped under.

My new modem did arrive the Thursday before my Monday activation date -- under two weeks after placing my upgrade order. I was only getting worried because everything else had gone so smoothly. On Monday, I swapped out my old modem and filters for the new ones (new filters just in case) and was online no problem. Because my modem handles DHCP and PPPoE now, I could remove an old piece of equipment, so things felt snappier, but not totally so.

My speed was still capped at 1500/380, verified by Speed Test and by my ZyXEL P-660R-D1 modem itself. I tried online chat, they referred me to the phone support because I'm a mac user -- which makes no sense. Something about modem settings they might have to walk me thru. I called, and I have to say am impressed by the fast response time getting thru to a person, even tho they are in India or somewhere.

My support tech at one point actually asked me what the date was in the United States. Really? You're going to outsource your call center and then not give them the software to keep up the facade? They have all greeted me with a Western name, why don't they have a world clock?

Anyway, he said to wait for morning cuz maybe the provisioning needed to happen overnight. I told him today was my connection day and I was already 4 hours past the latest 6pm on-time. Call back in the morning if it was still slow was all he said.

This morning, still slow. I call back. This time I got connected to an Installation Specialist who started to sell me on upgrading to the DSL + Home Phone package again. This is the problem with their support centers, you just can't be sure they are exactly understanding the issue. I told her I upgraded two weeks ago and just wasn't getting the high speed. Then she confirmed that I was signed up for the Unlimited DSL + Home Phone plan, which is capped at 1.5Mbps. I said I had definitely ordered the 8Mbps service, which I guess is called Unlimited Plus. She happily switched me to the higher plan, and warned me of the $5 increase, which was fine cuz that's what I thought I signed up for.

I suppose this was the best possible situation, since it was just a clerical mistake, not some problem with Covad or equipment.

The Home Phone service has no noticable quality changes and the online features will be handy, even tho I already use PhoneValet software locally that does most of the same things. Caller ID is more vague, we used to get names of cell phone callers and now it's just generic.

So, a more verbose email confirming my initial upgrade order would have solved all of this. I would have seen it was not the 8.0Mbps Unlimited Plus service and corrected it ahead of time. I don't know why I was promised 8 when they signed me up for the 1.5. We'll see if it goes thru.

UPDATE (11/21/07 12:16pm): 22 hours now with out phone or DSL. A very helpful Installation Specialist made the change yesterday morning to my account, putting me on the Unlimited Plus plan that I had originally ordered. The change was to take place in 24-48 hours, with nothing needing to be done on my end. She said the extra circuits would be added and then my DSL would be faster ... and so would my phone. Huh?

At "faster phone" I should have been worried. Around 2:15pm yesterday, a phone call was dropped but we were able to call back and continue. Shortly after, DSL stopped working (no IP address and no DSL signal to modem). Then maybe 3pm the dialtone went dead.

The DSL modem at one point was sensing the DSL speed (under Interface Status on the Status modem config page) has updated to the new 8.0/1.0, but no IP address appeared and the Connection Test from the Wizard times out and says the modem "has not established a DSL connection with your local exchange".

This makes me think the line got provisioned properly by Covad but Earthlink never reconnected my account to the new line.

I called last night to see what was going on, and they did some kind of test (or maybe just made me wait on hold for 3 minutes), then he asked me to unplug all other phones in the house (annoying) and ran some other test. Whatever that ruled out for him, he had me plug my phones all back in again. Then he said he'd send out a tech -- remember, this is Tuesday night before Thanksgiving. Also, I didn't *do* anything, it doesn't matter where the telephone switches are in my apartment building.

What will a tech confirm that I haven't already? They made the switch on my account, and it went dead.

It's past noon the following day as I write this, no dialtone still. I'm a few hours from the low end of 24-48 hours. At least the fancy VoiceMail and Call Forwarding features are working.

Currently on the phone with them again, he just asked who my home telephone company is. WTF? It's THEM! Why am I educating them so much? I've answered what time it is here, what the date is here, who my phone service is with, and whether I would like to upgrade to the service they just had activated.

Yikes, now I'm on hold for the second time today with the special department that handles Phone + DSL people. The on-hold music lady keeps telling me she's sorry, i'm important, and my expected wait time is less than 1 minutes. I heard that for 45 minutes last time and gave up. I've also noticed the followup email surveys have stopped coming from them -- used to get one after every call.

UPDATED (11/24/07 4:03pm): I'm back online, after a 4 day outage. Enjoying nearly-advertised speeds of upper 6000s down, 800ish up. That's 4.3x/2.3x my old up and down. Since the Unlimited Plus fee includes my telephone costs now, I'm having faster internet for less total money. Fine with me!

After talking to the first support dude, then being transferred to hold for 45+ mins for the Phone + DSL person, I waited another 15 mins while he escalated my issue with Covad. Said there were 3 forms to fill out and apologized for making me wait. By this point I was just happy someone was doing something about it.

Later that day Covad called me (on my home number -- I HAVE NO DIALTONE!! -- but I thankfully had turned on call forwarding from the myvoice.earthlink.net site). He had me unplug all my phones and ran that same test others had done 3 times previous. I decided to play along, since I assume their software must rule out things before I can get them to address my real situation. No amount of "I didn't do anything, you did..." got thru to him. He decided I needed a technician and he'd check if one could come out tomorrow or the next day. I told him that tomorrow was Thanksgiving, he stammered for a bit (I had diverged from the script), then he repeated that he would check if a tech could come out Tomorrow or the next day. Okay, fine.

A tech was scheduled for today, Saturday, 4 days later. At least it all happened at the central office, nobody had to come to our apt building (again, I didn't *do* anything to break my connection, they did). I think I was told to expect a 7pm connection time. So I waited.

We hosted a crowded Thanksgiving dinner with an uncharacteristically unconnected home. Thankfully our iPhone kept the emails flowing, however slowly over EDGE. Today around 3:30pm I checked for a dialtone and got a very screechy one. The line seemed to stabilize and I configed the modem and got online. 1st order of business was the speed test. 6259/818

Hopefully this DSL service is stable and I never have to call them or deal with them again. How's that for a customer experience.

Comments:

Review by TheHelpful1 See Profile

• Location: Upper Marlboro,Prince Georges,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Great speeds, great compatibility with XP....just great"
Bad "Load coils on a 1980's phone line caused a delayed"
Overall "Well worth the wait, especially for me"

Granted I have only had this dsl for one day, but what a day. And what a journey to GET dsl. From anyone!

Since April of 99 i have been trying to get DSL, not from Elink mind you. The first two companies went under and i decided to just wait. Well it seems the third time is a charm. I signed up with Elink through their online form, Had a representative confirm everything on November 21 with a set activation date for Dec 19. On Dec 10th i got the Self install kit, Speedstream 5260(the *good* one) type kit. Dec 19th came and went and no steady green light on the modem, not even an ATM light.

After some calls back and forth between the Tech support staff, i came in contact with a very helpful technician named William, he gave me his extension number and told me what hours he worked, hours that corresponded with me perfectly. 6pm to 2am Anyhow, after telling William from Elink what my problem was, he set up a 3 way call....well 4 including me, between Elink, Verizon, and Genuity. All things said and done, a Verizon tech was scheduled to come out to my house the next Business day, that being monday. Monday came, and in walks a very thorough Systems Technician Jeffrey Davis. Took a look at my NID box, checked things out with his portable DSL modem (guessing thats what it was) and found i had no sync at the NID, meaning no sync from the street. So he goes out to the street and climbes the pole (literally, no bucket truck yet) and finds a problem with the wiring there. Since monday was quite a dreary day with the cold wind and

borderline freezing rain, he told me he would come back tuesday with a bucket truck so he could see whats going on at the pole. Tuesday came and Mr. Davis returned with a bucket truck and found my old phone line had load coils on it, and he had to switch the line to a new pair to get the DSL signal through, instead of just a dial tone. So he switched A to B at the pole and same at the central office and my lights went green! His portable modem showed potential speeds up to 5mpbs down and 600 up (that alone made my eyes pop out), but realistically I get around 700/100 from a contracted 784/128. Hey, I'm happy. Quite happy.

After years of great dialup service from Elink....well then mindspring. I hope to be a long time DSL customer as well. And if either William from Elink or Jeffrey Davis read this post, again, i can not thank the two of you more.I still have Davis' card, but i lost Williams extension when my old email program went haywire.

******

Update: Not too long ago the Elink 3.0 service rolled into my area but I was not able to get it then - Reason? Verizon was NOT allowing a competitor to deliver that speed with them as the CLEC. Remedy? Dropping my DSL service back to dialup to kick verizon out of the loop so Covad could get in. Result? About 2 months of craziness (Delays, lightning storms frying this and that on their end, etc) and now I'm up and flying at 3000mbps down and 384up.

This was so well worth the wait. On top of having web pictures move so fast its like a slide show, I upgraded during a promo which dropped my monthly price from $49 down to $35. SWEET!

*******

Update: After having gone through the de/reprovisioning dance to break free of Verizon's slower speed in favor of Covad as my CLEC, I now find myself back on Verizon's backbone thanks to a middle-of-the-night switch. Odd how this took less than a few hours to do but when I tried to go the other way it took near 2 months. Anyhow this time it is better, current speeds are now 3366/736 which is oddly enough stable at my loop distance. No re-sync issues and a stable connection even during thunderstorms.

One sour note is that all of the US tech support has been outsourced, so if anything does go wrong my only support will be my own intuition, the earthlink support forum or an call to India.

Comments:

Review by jimwarriner See Profile

• Location: Grants Pass,Josephine,OR
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "1.5 Meg speed is good and rarely have problems"
Bad "Qwest technicians tell me that 3. Meg is available but Earthlink either cannot or will not offer it."
Overall "If I could find the time and get Qwest to uncouple Microsoft I would get the service direct from Qwest"

Moving the connection to Oregon was the worst part Earthlink refused to outline the entire process in advance. There are some things I could have been ready for when Earthlink or Qwest finished a stage that would have made things go much quicker. If Qwest would offer the DSL without an MSN account I would seriously consider getting the 3. Meg direct from Qwest and keep Earthlink as my ISP.

Jim W.