EarthLink page on DSLReports

Review by scarsten See Profile

• Location: Middleburg,Clay,FL
Good "Yet to find anything good"
Bad "support"
Overall "Get any other provider you can"

I was sold a 3 MEG service and only got a half a meg down. Along with this they did something to my connection went zI quested this so my Xbox will not work as before along with that my service leaves a lot to be asked for seeing as how it always drops off when it wants with no advanced notice. This causes me to lose all my work to that point and forces me to have to start over, but Earthlink support just tells me that they did not do anything to my service but the first tech I spoke to about this told me he had to make changes to my account to get it to work. Well he changed things alright but it still does not work as sold so I'm plain screwed with this useless service for the next year or so, unless I can find an out which I'm looking for right now. so wish me luck and pick any other ISP so you don't get shafted like I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments:

Review by FarmerBob See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "The Sales process was beyond belief"
Bad "The closer you get to the Corp HQ the dumber the people get."
Overall "It's not USQworst."

·ViaTalk
UPDATE 10/11/13:

It's been so long that I can not even remember having these guys. There have been so many since. I sound like an Internet Floozy. Yup. Ya gotta be to stay connected.

For the fifth time in 2 years I am a refugee. My latest migration is from SprintION (who Qwest ran out of business) 6-8 MBps connection to Earthlink (1.5 MBps), who was my ISP with ION. I jumped the minute I knew I had to get new service. Called and got a brilliant sales rep that took such good care of me. I asked if there were any specials for those of us that already had Earthlink as our ISP. My rep said she'd check and call me back. 2 hours later (I expected days) the nirvana ended, she called and said that they weren't going to run any for the ION people. Now I get 3-4 eMails a day and 2-4 letters a week touting a very special offer for ION customer to switch. But since I did it when one should due to the time it takes. I can't get the offer. Bad PR.

Now on to the really good part. My first order was cancelled. By who, no one knows. A second order was placed and it disappeared. My brilliant CSR found that one when she was checking on my order (on her own time and doing). So we started a 3rd. My line went active on the 10th and the hardware was to be in my hands on the 12th. I paid extra to get it shipped 2 days quicker. So since no hardware had arrived I went to their website to check on the progress of the order and thank God I took screen shots of the info. Last Wednesday it said that the line was up on the 10th (Monday) and the order was completed on the 12th and that I should be enjoying my new connection. But no hardware in sight. I called to inquire and was transferred to the PreInstallation dept. The message as you connect said that there was a 39 minute wait. 90 minutes later someone finally answered. I had fallen asleep so it took me a moment to regain my composure. NO ONE knew anything. So I sent an eMail to their general customer service and got some answers. I got more when I had physical evidence as to one moment things being one way and then changed the next. A rush was placed on the hardware and it should be here in 7-10 days. So much for paying for 2 day delivery.

In the meantime. This morning I was going through my AMX bill and there was a $149.95 charge from Earthlink. I called to see what that was all about and got the most rude, condescending, sorry excuse for a CSR. Everything I said he had to contradict. I said that there was a charge on my credit card, he said no there wasn't. I asked what the status of my order since the info on the website kept changing. He said another 14 days at least and the info on the site didn't change. I had proof. It did. After realizing that this was a lost cause and he was really ticking me off, there was more conversation than recanted here, I said thank you and hung up. I then went to send another eMail to the person that I did get some answers from and notice a different phone number on the bottom of the eMail that they had sent, so I called it. I got a very pleasant young man in Roseville, CA, the other guy was in Atlanta. He took my info and looked up the account. Lo and behold I had 3 accounts with charges. Why the other guy accessing the same database couldn't see this is any bodies guess. So we dumped two of the three accounts that were billed a cancellation charge, the cancelled account and the account that disappeared. He credited the two $149.95 fees (so there was a charge on my card and another one coming) and went to work on solidifying the one remaining account. By the end of this conversation I had my Static IP address, all my user info and he read out the eMail info as I created an account in Entourage. This guy was great. I want him cloned. Hopefully I will not have to make anymore calls so I'm crossing my fingers. I rarely ever had to call ION.

Needless to say I'm scared. If this is suppose to be the #1 purveyor of the Internet, we're doomed. The only other alternative is USQworst. I used to work for them and know how bad that organization is and how they have the Colorado PUC (Public Utilities Commission) and FCC wrapped around their little finger. Otherwise SprintION wouldn't be going away. ION was the best group of everybody. You could talk to one person that had the power and resources to take care of everything. The only problem was that they were always calling to see if I was OK. With an 8 Mbps connection, 4 phone lines and 700 minutes a month long distance for $150. I was Fabulous!!!

I hope that this interaction with Earthlink was an isolated incident. I have spoken with their Level 3 people and their pretty great. Hopefully that'll be my only future contact. To anyone having to go this direction, you'll have to be a watch dog and keep on them. Good Luck to us all.

I'll keep you posted as to what happens from here. I should be up and running by New Years when my ION connection goes dark.

UPDATE:

As of the late 2000's Qworst is no longer Qworst. But is becoming one of the better providers. Is Earthlink still around?

member for 13.8 years, 1576 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by wiggie See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "x"
Bad "x"
Overall "x"

x

member for 13.9 years, 161 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Bikti_t See Profile

• Location: Glendora,Los Angeles,CA
Good "nothing at this time"
Bad "poor support sys .. earthlink is only an admin middleman"
Overall "Time Warner Cable is the real work force .."

10/350 mbps/kbps actual = 6 mbps works ok for a house with one online gamer , vid downloads, and misc .. I was going to upgrade to 30 mbps (extreme 60$ ) but i want to get rid of the middleman first .. (earthlink)
More later

My first experience with earthlink support failed .. I like to document conversations and agreements so i use chat or email ... and i couldn't seem to get them to work through those formats

9/11/12 speed update with downgrade
Normal (sustained) dl speed is 500 kb/ps .. under a 10 mb/ps signup plan
pretty poor ... earthlink on time warner lines

member for 2.4 years, 287 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:
NYCPaul

join:2000-09-15
New York, NY

Question for cable head-end techs

How does a cable company technician adjust the internet speed a customer gets? For example, if a customer is paying for a 10meg/315K service how does the info get from the billing people to the technician that gives the customer that speed? Or does it work that way? Is it true that a code must be uploaded to the customer's modem by a technician at the head-end? I would really appreciate knowing how it is done.
Bikti_t

join:2012-05-09
Glendora, CA

Re: Question for cable head-end techs

Hi really sorry about not replying sooner

I am not sure about the tech end .. sorry this wasn't my signup
I just get to call the people

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Bad "I felt I was lied to and ripped off"
Overall "Technically they seem to provide a good product but administrative... I keep thinking Ferengi"

I signed up for Earthlink cable modem service at $29.95 month for 6 months.
turns out they provide this service thru Time Warner cable here in San
Diego and TW also does the billing. TW says they have no way to give me
this price and are billing me $52.99 per month. They cant change it because
it is setup thru Earthlink and their agents don't have permission to change
anything on the account.
I have been trying to get them to honer this deal for a month. I have
called these 2 companies no less than 50 times and per my notes logged 21
hours on the phone (a bunch of 2+ hour phone calls) getting this fixed.
Earthlink keeps sending me to Time Warner and TW keeps sending me to EL.
Actually the TW people really tried to help and eventually suggested I
cancel EL and go directly thru TW and they would get me the same deal but I
had to get an EL cancel confirmation number first. It took 4 hours on the
phone yesterday but was finally able to cancel Earthlink and go directly to
TW for the service. I believe that this is all Earthlinks fault, they have
been no help at all on the phone and never responded to my 3 emails about
the issue, most of my calls were transferred to TW without telling me; they
just put me on hold and next thing I knew TW was answering the phone which
was aggravating because it is so hard getting anyone on the phone at EL
unless you want to talk to the sales dept, otherwise it is 30 minutes on
hold. From what I can tell, Earthlink is completely outsourced to India
(Earthlink India corp.), but they do have an address in Atlanta. Dealing
with the EL support in India has been a nightmare of bad phone connections
and language interpretation issues, but just try and cancel your EL
service, they all but refused and hung up on me 2 of the 3 phone calls. The
EL terms and agreement states that cancellations must be by phone or
certified letter and state that they may continue charging your bank
account after you have canceled (seems to be a practice at many companies
these days). I finally got a confirmation no. but the cancel date is 6
weeks out. If I was not out of work would have given up a long time ago and
I will bet most people do. Hard to imagine anyone would be happy with this
company.
This clearly falls (My Opinion) into false advertising. This company off
shores all of these US jobs as do thousands of US corporations, it is one
of the major reasons our economy is in its current state, the epitome of
the 1%, I think it's disgusting!
I would suggest to anyone, find another company.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Samchas

@rr.com

Avoid Earthlink

Just one word......terrible!!!

Review by fivebyfive See Profile

• Location: Morgan Hill,Santa Clara,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Good spam and virus filtering at the ISP"
Bad "Install kit arrived a week after EarthLink cut off my Verizon DSL service"
Overall "Solid DSL service, poor installation coordination"

I just switched from Verizon Online DSL to EarthLink DSL, mostly because I've been an EarthLink dial-up customer since about 1997. I signed up for Verizon Online DSL at a time when EarthLink didn't offer DSL in my area, but now that they do, I'll save money by getting email and DSL Internet access all from one source.

I woke up Wednesday morning, 22 November 2006, with no Internet connection. The problem was that EarthLink hadn't yet delivered the DSL "Welcome Kit" with the their modem, filters, cables and installation CD. They had cut off my Verizon Online DSL service at midnight and substituted their own signal. Thinking it might be as easy as rebooting the old Verizon-supplied Westell VersaLink Gateway Model 327W modem/router/wireless access point (Model A90-327W15-06, Rev. E; software version 03.00.63a), I cycled the power. The modem rebooted showing a green DSL light, but the Internet light remained dark. I called EarthLink on Friday to find out where the stuff was, and they told me it had shipped late Wednesday, with expected delivery next Thursday! So, here I sat, trying to run a business, limited to only 20 hours of dial-up service per month under the DSL contract! Unfortunately, they'd starting billing me for my nonexistent DSL service based on the date the order was placed, not the date at which I could first install it and take advantage of it.

When I asked about equipment compatibility at the time the DSL order was placed, the rep pleaded ignorance, saying there was no guarantee that Verizon's equipment would work with EarthLink DSL. In other words, it might work, but since EarthLink didn't supply the hardware, I'd be on my own if I tried to use it. In desperation, I spent Sunday afternoon on 26 November poring through DSL Reports forum archives to find the information needed to manually reconfigure my Westell 327W modem to work with EarthLink, and eventually succeeded (thanks to forum member Doctor Olds; no thanks to EarthLink). Sheesh! The modem reports it's now running at 1792 kbits/s downlink speed and 448 kbits/s uplink speed, which is quite good.

It would have been a lot smarter on EarthLink's part to modify their procedures for existing DSL customers — switch the DSL connection at the phone company's central office only after the installation kit was delivered and hooked up by the customer. That would have provided a seamless transition for me, with at most fifteen minutes to swap DSL modems and reboot.

(The EarthLink installation kit arrived on 29 November 2006, a week after it was shipped. I opened it to examine the contents and the packing slip, but haven't used any of the materials, since the equipment that I had been using with the Verizon DSL installation is still working fine, and the modem supplied by EarthLink has fewer features.)

(Update 9 December 2006)

The modem is still reporting 1792 kbits/s downlink speed and 448 kbits/s uplink speed. Error rate is zero. Flawless performance, so far. My service location is just under 4500 feet from the central office.

(Update 7 November 2007)

Just one hiccup about a month ago, where the carrier dropped for a few minutes. It required a modem reboot. Otherwise, no problems.

(Update 26 February 2008)

The Westell 327W DSL modem from Verizon just gave up the ghost, so I ended up using the ZyXEL P-600 series DSL modem from EarthLink after all. It has a rudimentary router built into it, a rather poor firewall which fails the Gibson Research online firewall probe test, and no wireless capability. I turned the modem's firewall and router off using the browser-accessible configuration screen, i.e., put it into "bridge" mode, and set the modem to automatically log into EarthLink via PPPoE, so that if the carrier were to drop, in theory the modem would automatically get my home network back online within about 10 minutes. Then, I bought a Netgear WGR614 v7 Wireless Router that has better 802.11g wireless range and a better firewall than the Westell 327W had, making my computers totally invisible to the Internet. The wireless chip set in the WGR614 is by Atheros Communications ( »www.atheros.com ), the same as in the WG511 networking card in one of my laptop computers, so they talk to each other flawlessly, though the WGR614 still has trouble talking to my Compaq laptop equipped with a Broadcom wireless chip set. (Broadcom seems to make cheap junk that laptop vendors love to buy because it saves them a few pennies, at the expense of customers of said laptops beating their heads against the wall because they won't reliably connect to 802.11 hot spots half the time.) I don't know what chip set the Westell 327W uses, but it wouldn't connect to Compaq and Dell laptops with built-in wireless networking either.

(Update 28 September 2010)

The ZyXEL P-660R-ELNK modem from EarthLink is still working fine. However, based on my previous problem with the Westell 327W modem, I purchased a used P-660R-ELNK modem for $5 (+$5 S&H) via an eBay auction to keep as a backup if the modem in use should fail. I haven't had to contact EarthLink about replacement hardware, but would expect to be disconnected from the 'net for 7-10 days if I were to rely on them sending me a replacement modem. It's cheap insurance.

Since early July EarthLink has had a problem with logging into Web Mail. I left an inquiry with the "Web Mail Guy" on the blog site several weeks ago, but so far there hasn't been any response. The login works, but has become extremely slow, taking 1-2 minutes before the page finishes loading and my browser can auto-fill the login and password fields. This process used to take less than 10 seconds. Up-time on the DSL line has been better than 99.999% and performance has been better than the nominal 1500/384 kbps, so I have no complaints in that regard.

(Update 26 January 2011)

The slow log-in to EarthLink Web Mail finally got fixed in early October. I never did see a statement about the cause of the problem. Whatever; at least it works as it should again. I'm getting a bit tired of paying $39 per month (up from the $29 per month introductory rate) for 1.5Mbps DSL. EarthLink is capable of far faster DSL speeds at my location, although I don't really feel like I need it, since I don't download movies and the like. I'd go for reduced cost, say $14.95 to $19.95 per month for the service I now have.

(Update 17 August 2011)

When I originally got EarthLink DSL service, it was allegedly provisioned by Covad, a CLEC. A check with »www.ipchicken.com/ today indicates that the service is now provisioned by Verizon, my ILEC and land line provider. The change happened without notification, and as far as I can tell, with no interruption in service.

(Update 3 January 2012)

EarthLink's DSL service has been nearly flawless, but the EarthLink Web Mail has gone sour since around Labor Day, September 2011 -- pages and individual messages load with glacial slowness. I wouldn't have believed it, but my long relationship with EarthLink may be coming to an end soon. Multiple calls to their technical support have resulted in no resolution, and they just put the blame on my equipment. (That's unlikely, since I haven't seen any slowdown with any other sites, just EarthLink Web Mail.) I like the fact that I can send messages via EarthLink's SMTP outgoing server with an alias of my choosing, something that isn't allowed on Gmail or Yahoo! Premium, so I may keep EarthLink as an email-only account. On the other hand, other ISPs or email providers may offer the same capability. I already know I can get DSL service from Netzero here at the same speed for nearly half the price, or go to Charter Internet LITE without television service for less than $30 per month and twice the speed. EarthLink DSL was $29 per month when I started and it has increased to $39.95 per month. Since EarthLink seems to be increasingly falling behind the technology curve, the alternatives look attractive now.

(Update 13 March 2012)

After long, careful deliberation, I have dropped my EarthLink DSL service and have switched to Charter.net "Internet LITE" cable service. EarthLink's quality of customer service has been deteriorating steadily for the last 5-7 years, and the broken Web Mail service has become intolerable. Besides, Charter offers twice the speed at just $25 per month with no contract, 63% of the price of EarthLink. My ratings of EarthLink in the "Services" and "Value for the money" categories have been downgraded two steps each as a result of my most recent experience.

Comments:

Review by markell2011 See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis City,MO
Good "internet acsess"
Bad "support is horrible"
Overall "if you dont want to use cable or wireless use earthlink"

I ordered th 3mb down/ 512 up plan whiched turned out to be the 3mb down/ 384 up plan I didn't accept the modem they sent because i have enough of them so im just using my old moto 2210 from att it took them 9 da to connect me to the dslam which with att it take 3 day but they no longer offer dsl so this is my only option that offers a somewhat fast stable connection but if my snr drops any lower it not going to be stable ( its 6.0 down 9.0 up ) and my line attn is 50 down 30 up when i was connected to the att dslam it was never that horrible I just hope i didn't waste my money like i did with dslextreme wasn't nothing extreme about it more like dslslow they only offered me 1.5 mb down ( but the snr and line attn was perfect) bottom line since i dont have cable anymore and i can't get uverse this will have to do

member for 4.6 years, 1195 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by TMMerlin See Profile

• Location: Oxford,Oakland,MI
  • Telco party SBC
Good "Not anymore"
Bad "1.5 Meg just like a dial-up line !"
Overall "Was a member of Mindspring.com for 13 years."

I cancelled Earthlink on 1/14/2010 ... 1.5-Meg was just tooooo slow and EL had no plans for 3-Meg in my area. I converted to U-Verse .

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL

I have had Earthlink dsl for over 10 years (zip 60618). Started having problems in

Nov 2010. My service has been intermittent since. No internet connection for

days at a time. Especially during, what I believe are the peak times, during business hours. Covad tech out 3 times. I received a new dsl modem and still no steady connection. Techs say I'm getting good speeds in, but because of my distance from the phone center I need to be at a speed no higher than 1.5 mpbs. Right now I'm paying for speeds up to

3.0 mpbs. I'm running on windows 7with I7 chip. All of my equipment is new including a E3000 router and EL provided ZyZel P-600 dsl modem. I just did a test and I am at a whopping 0.80. I am NOT HAPPY WITH EARTHLINK IN CHICAGO. Has anyone had better luck with a different dsl provider or EarthLink itself in zip 60618 area? My neighbor, who relies on the internet to do work from his home uses ComCast and is very happy with his high speed connection. I do not look forward to changing my email address after all these years, but EL has worn me out.

(review was emailed from domain earthlink.net)

Comments:

Review by Huisache See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Bad "Earthlink is unable to consistently deliver their promise. Their service comes and goes..."
Overall "not reliable"

As a reseller of other people's services, Earthlink is unable to keep its DSL service speed and line quality at minimum levels. They don't have control of what they are selling you and consequently you will waste tremendous amounts of time with their service people who are determined to find that YOU have a problem, not them.