Constant.com page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by iesamtx See Profile

• CLEC party:
Bad "Do not deal with Constant.com"

I would like to put a Horror Story I experienced with one of DSL
servive provider, www.constant.com in Austin, Texas.

I order a DSL service to them in May last year. I ordered Business account,
1.5M so I could have own web site. Sales rep of constant.com quoted me that
I could get 1.5M speed. That was a reason why I ordered a service.
I placed an order by FAX, I gave my credit card number. Constant charged to my credit card for $976.01 right away.
IP Communication Technician came and checked telephone line, but he could not get even 386k/bps since my location was almost 15,000 feet away from central office of Southwestern Bell. Technician of Southwestern Bell came and checked line, he even could not get speed higher 56K.
Since they had already charged $976.01 to my credit card, I asked Sales Rep of constant.com to refund $976.01to me.
But, I have not yet received a refund from them almost 10 months. I contacted their billing department, but they said that sales rep was in charge to process
refund issue. I called, talked on the phone, sent several email to sales rep,
but he everytime responsed to me that refund had been already processed, requested refund precess to CEO of the company.
As od today, 2-16-2002, I have not yet got refund, amount $976.01.

They are still in business, but I heard that so many people got bad experience with constant.com. I would like to post this story as a horror story on DSLreport web site and tell people, NOT DEAL WITH CONSTANT.COM, they bite you from beginning to the end.

From a cheated and stupit man I was.

Comments:

Review by rick727 See Profile

• Location: Seabrook,Harris,TX
  • CLEC party:
Good "Fast broadband for the home user"
Overall "I would recommend constant.com"

I have been a Constant.com DSL customer for nearly a year. The DSL service has been pretty good. I have had to call customer support a few times, but that is to be expected. The customer support staff was fairly responsive although not perfect. I did have a problem related to a Broadxent modem, but that wasn't their fault.

My speeds are fantastic (1.3Mbps download). I have a dynamic IP and am sharing the connection via a Linksys DSL/Cable router.

I have recommended Constant.com to my friends and I will definately renew my contract.

My biggest complaint is that about a month after I subscribed (for $49/month residential) they offered a special deal of $39/month for new on-line subscribers. I couldn't take advantage of this offer which hurt a little. Oh well, it is still much better than a 2nd phone line and dialup.

-Rick

Comments:

Review by RAZ Black See Profile

• Location: Mansfield,Tarrant,TX
  • CLEC party:
Good "Initial contact was smooth."
Bad "Lack of communication with customer, poor scheduling with CLEC"
Overall "consider an alternative"

·Charter
This was an attempt to transfer a circuit provisioned by Rhythms to IP Communications via Constant.Com's transition plan for Rhythms customers.

Line Speed: 144k/144k
Addressing: Static IP
Line Type : iDSL circuit transfer
Price : 89.00 (102.09 after tax)

My initial contact with this company was surprisingly great. I called after normal business hours and actually had the opportunity to speak to the VP of the company to place my order (ok, so it's a small company). He was very helpful in placing the order to transfer my service from Rhythms (ISP was Megapath). No problems, process took less than a few minutes to arrange and by the next day was completed after faxing back a signed 12 month contract. This was in the second week of August, a good 2 weeks before Rhythms was to shutdown. Strangely thou, I got billed for the service in advance from Constant on the 17th of August for the service in September, ok ... i can handle that. I was told the service would be switched on the first. On August 28th, I was contacted by a representative 'handling' my account about requiring a circuit ID to expedite the circuit transfer from Rhythms. I spent a day and a half calling Megapath and Rhythms to get it... and I did and promptly emailed it back to the account rep on the 30th (I thought that was his job?) So, at this point, I figured.. ok, this will delay getting it done by the first. No problem, I'm paitient enough as long as it gets done.

A week goes by and nothing... my rep sends me no info about the status at all. So, on the September 7th, I send an email to their 'status@constant.com' support to see what's up!

On September 10th, I get a message from my 'rep' (I really want to put his name there....ggrrrr). He confirms that IP Communications has successfully completed testing and the line transfer will be delivered shortly, but no definite date has been set and to check back mid-week.

On September 13th, I sent another message to the REP to check on the status... I also called IP Communication just incase and confirmed that order was being processed by them and they provided me with one of their internal order numbers. I didn't get any response this time from my REP.

On October 2nd, I emailed my REP again to get a status of the order and told them that I would find an alternative provider if I did not hear back from them before the end of the week. I promptly got a message from the 'REP' that IP would not be able to provision the line and that they could provide ADSL service to me. I was upset by this time. I had received a confirmation from Rhythms that said that IP Communication would be able to continue to provide the service and before I even contacted Constant.com I VERIFIED this with IP Communications. (this was a Tuesday morning when I sent the message, and the response by the REP was sent at 5:37 pm, and I had already left for Houston to attend a funeral)

On October 5th (I had been at a funeral, this was Friday), I called IP Communications to see what the problem was with my line and they stated that my order was CANCELLED because my ISP did not respond on September 20th to arrange the turn-up of my circuit.... WHAT? My "REP" obviously dropped the ball. I sent a message asking what had happened and for an explaination.

In this situation, the line was to be transfered from Rhythms, and several companies where offering deals to the end of August to assist transition customers of Rhythms. (basically saving a couple hundred bucks for install fees and more if an equipment change was necessary, my original investment was $300 for equipment and $250 for install, add more with taxes...). For me to arrange for a different ISP's transition plan is out of the question, that was a month ago... I even tried a couple companies and the deal was over. I told the "REP" that this could or will cost me hundreds of dollars now to arrange to get a different ISP. No one was offering any transition deals anymore, I was basically screwed.

To this I quickly got a response from my "REP" at constant.com, stating that IP Communications notified him over the weekend (the weekend?) that they are not able to provide me with IDSL. ( I know this is not correct because even before the original contact with Constant.com, I VERIFIED it with IP Communications myself.) And goes on to say that they are able to provide me ADSL service instead. ( I KNOW this is not true because of my distance ((25k+ ft.)) from CO and line sharing problems in our neighborhood or I would have gotten it from SBC a long time ago...) He goes on to state, "I fail to see how this situation forces you to choose another ISP and incur hundreds of dollars worth of expenses..." Obviously he is not getting it, and I've had enough!

I have to ask myself, "Do I want this type of service provider?"

note: This is for Constant.com which never provided me with a customer # by the way.... look up this invoice number: 010817-0005

You'll know who I am.

Comments:

Review by BZB See Profile

• Location: Lenexa,Johnson,KS
  • CLEC party:
Good "Well, it does beat Dail-up. Barely."
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "NOT!"

When I say 'everything else' I really mean it. Even the "on hold" radio station they play is full of static much of the time!! Here's my story....

I moved back in March and had troubles getting SWB and my local ISP to do
the move right, so I tried to switch to Constant.Com. Bad move.

The installation happened in early May. Two guys from IP Communications
came out and did the installation. Unfortunately, Constant thought my old
DSL modem would work. Nope. The IPC guys hooked the line up to their
laptop through a modem they had and made connection (though the speed was very
slow) but my previous modem wouldn't sync. They called up Constant and got the runaround regarding the speed.

They left and I started calling Constant about the modem. What I got were
a bunch of "Let me check with X and call you tomorrow" answers and no call
backs. After a week or two, I got hold of a tech that knew my modem
wouldn't work and they sent me a new one.

The new one connected fine but, as the IPC guys found, the connection was
very slow - hovering around 50kbd. I dinked around with my registry and
got that up to 100kbd. And there it stayed. I've been calling Constant
for over two MONTHS now and the speed is still slow! Constant blames IP
Communications. IP Communications blames Constant. Constant says they
will "call me back later" and don't call back. Finally, we got to the
point where even the techy'ist of techs at Constant completely ran out of ideas on what to do.

At this point, Constant has also started billing me for my "service." I
call up Billing and ask for my money back and where should I return this
modem. Billing says no way plus they will charge me $400 if I cancel
because (even after two months of trying to fix the speed issue) they are still working on my account.

Fine. Hang up and call tech support to ask exactly what it is they are
doing. "Ummm, I will have to call you back with that answer." Never
happens. Today I called them up again and, once again, they called up IPC
to work on my line - only this time something different happened. IPC said
the line wasn't that good and they needed to lower the speed. Before, they had always claimed my line was exceptionally good!? They lowered
my speed and I went home to check if my throughput was any better.

Nope. Same as ever. What's more, Constant billed me a second time! OK,
that's it, I'm calling Visa and letting them deal with it.

My phone is dead.

The idiots changed the speed on my phone line instead of my DSL
line!! Hooking my phone to the DSL line doesn't work, either. I guess if
I have an emergency I should email 911??

The next day I call SWB to get my phones turned on again. Sure enough, somebody has been playing with my line - it wasn't some incredible coincidence. I called up Constant and insisted on speaking to the manager, which I eventually got through to, and he says I can get the account cancled by sending written notice.

The notice is on the way - I'll post here with how much I actually get back.

member for 13 years, 4 visits, last login: 13 years ago

Comments:

Review by aqlong See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
  • Telco party
  • CLEC party:
Good "Service, service, service! And reliability, speed, install time, value, and quality, too."
Bad "None that I can see."
Overall "Get Constant.com for the service, intelligent people, and value!"

I got Constant.com Home ADSL at the beginning of 2001, and after a 16-day install time I've been surfing at fast speeds ever since. The technical crew was helpful through the install process. Without prompting, they called me to tell me the status of the DSL installation, and then they let me know when the DSL central office was coming out to install the line, so I could meet them at home during the day. All of Constant.com's staff seemed intelligent, well-organized, and like they actually cared that I was satisfied. I'd recommend them to any one because they're a non-AOL type ISP in Austin, TX that helps you before you even ask. You can sign up online like I did, too, which I haven't seen from many of these other DSL providers.

AARON

Comments:

Review by jefft7 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
Good "few"
Bad "eratic, slow news server, tech support is a laugh"
Overall "don't"

Slammed to them by jump.net when they dropped covad.

member for 14.3 years, 103 visits, last login: 12.4 years ago

• Location: Cypress,Harris,TX
  • CLEC party:
Good "Good Tech Support. Bandwidth is as advertised."
Overall "I would recommend Constant.com to friends/family"

I switched ISP's due to a severe bandwidth issue with TRIP.NET. They were
either unwilling or unable to fix the problem. I signed up for service with
Constant.com one week ago. The service was up and running last night! That's
a one week turnaround. Impressive. I am getting 1.2 ~ 1.3 Mbps downloads
even during peak internet usage hours on a 1.5Mbps/128Kbps account. The tech
support even called me back at 8:30pm last night to make sure everything was
working. The DSLAM is the same as TRIP.NET, but the bandwidth issue is
non-existant with Constant.com. The DSLAM provider is IP Communications.
They even cost $5 a month less than TRIP.NET.

Service and support are excellent. Bandwidth is stable and on-par with what
I am paying for. Tech support lines are answered within minutes, even during
peak hours.

(review was emailed from domain compaq.com)

Comments:

Review by sohail7 See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
  • CLEC party: Rhythms
Good "Helpfull tech support/sales/billing."
Overall "Good ISP"

Hello

We (small business) order DSL service from our local ISP in Houston TX, after one month when we inquire about the service, they reply that we can not get DSL service. So we call Constant.com and talk to the person in sales and he really help us setting up the service through Rhythms, within 2 weeks we have our service up and running. The only thing was that we order 1.1mbps but we were only getting 384kbps SDSL, so we talked to tech support and finds out that our distance is too far and also we have line problems, they brought our monthly cost down and even offer us to get another DSL line or that we can even break the contract if we like. But we decided to stay with them. We are planning to get T1 line by December 2001or early next year most definately from Constant.com. We have DSL service from Constant.com since November 2000 and not once our line went down or any other problem. We even mentioned them to some other companies in Houston and one of them already signed the contract with them.

We are really happy with Constant.com specially the tech dept (relate to e-mail etc).

Thanks

Sohail

March 14, 2001.

Comments:

Review by cyrano25 See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Collin,TX
  • CLEC party: Covad
Bad "Lots of bad points, most of all they do not communicate at all with their customers."
Overall "Avoid at all costs, use ONLY if absolutely necessary."

I had a 144K DSL business account installed by Aperian. Several months after installation Constant took over tech support for Aperian. I was not notified of this switch until the line went down and I called for tech support. After several line outages which Constant did not address properly I called Aperian and demanded that Constant either provide quality service or Aperian should take over and account for their own network problems. While Aperian and Constant were figuring out which way is up I called Constant to change some DNS entries for our service and the 'tech' at Constant kept assigning the wrong IP addresses for hosts, and left out MX records altogether - even though he was given the correct DNS entries in writing and verbally. That happened 3 times in one week, that 'tech' just can't get it right. You could say that their techs "Constantly" mess up - if you can even get one on the phone.

After yet another line outage I called Constant (again) and found out that they cut their support hours so there was nobody to call after 9pm. Of course, the line went dead at 9:15pm. Once again, I had to call Aperian and harass them into getting something done at Constant.

The best part is that a few hours before getting on a plane for Thanksgiving holiday the DSL line went dead again. I called Constant and was told that our service had been intentionally turned off for lack of payment. I have never received an invoice from Constant, nor was I informed that Constant would be handling billing for Aperian. I certainly DID NOT receive a late notice, or a payment due, or any warning whatsoever, they just turned off a business account without regard for the company using that line. Instead of turning the line back on and sending an invoice like a normal company, they refused to turn it on until I gave them a credit card number over the phone. I was told it would take 10 minutes to reactivate the line, but it took more than 30 minutes. Their only excuse was that the billing system they were using showed us as a customer of Infinity Interactive and Constant didn't do stuff for them so they turned us off. I have never been a customer of Infinity Interactive, I'm not sure who does data entry for them but it sounds like that 'tech' was busy again.

Apparently it was far too difficult for Constant to pick up a phone and call before shutting off a DSL line. It also seems that sending a postal letter, a fax, or an e-mail are all much too difficult for Constant, as I still have not received a single piece of written communication from them regarding my DSL line. Not even a letter of introduction, or a "hey you, we're going to mess with you now" letter - nothing at all.

Don't use Constant, there's no telling what they'll do next. I'm currently in the process of switching providers.

member for 13.8 years, 50 visits, last login: 11.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by cdunlap See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
Good "none"
Bad "DSL never installed, but they want to keep $250"
Overall "avoid Constant.com"

This June I tried to setup DSL for the small company I work for. I decided to give Constant.com our business, because they were the only company that claimed they could provide us with DSL service. The other companies (including the local TelCo) said we were out of range for DSL. Constant agreed to install and provide us with 384K SDSL, but we had to pay over $600 for setup and first month fees. That sounded reasonable, but I didn't expect that we wouldn't get all of our money back if the service could not be installed. At this time they have credited part of the amount, but want to retain a $250 fee for cancelling our order. It even says in the contract that if we cancel due to their failure to provide us with the expected service that the charge will not be assesed. Obviously I plan to continue fighting this.

The home ADSL I had in Austin from SWBell, was the best internet service I ever received (including 2 ethernet/T1 providers). If you are in the Austin area I recommend you avoid Constant.com and go with the company that tests and installs the line anyway, SWBell.