CYBERONIC INTERNET COMMUNICATIONS INC page on DSLReports

Review by TODDRICK See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "fast connection and static IP at a great price"
Bad "none yet, just a few minor irritations"
Overall "good deal"

I've waited awhile to write a review to see how stable connectivity and e-mail would be. I think things have gone very well. I am a DTVDSL refugee (dry pair installed in 3/2000) so was not bothered with downtime while getting lines released. I ordered on 1/6/03, recieved the router on 1/17 and was sync'd and surfing on 1/23.

NO muss, no fuss and I never felt the need to pester them for install status. (Strange, my Telocity(old DTVDSL) install also went like clockwork at a time when many were complaining loudly.) I'm getting about 1290/440 (they warned me up front that I wouldn't get much more than 300 up), much better then the 600/60 I was getting from DTVDSL. I called them last week to set up two more e-mail accounts and was pleased to find no Frank-on-hold, in fact no hold at all. I am very pleased with Cyberonic.

25 April 2005

Just a quick update, after 2 years of service I remain generally pleased with Cyberonic. The connection has been rock solid, I am getting 1290/600 and cannot remember any outages. I am still on the 1.5/768 plan (don't want to pay the setup fee to transfer to the 6.0/768plan, if they would comp or discount the setup I'd go for the faster connection). The Email servers have occasional 'brain farts' but are generally very good. Usenet servers are pretty poor, I see many 'server not found' and 'message no longer on server' messages, even for posts made that day . Problems remain also with the DNS servers. Shortly after getting their service I found DNS problems with the servers I was told to use. I changed to different Cyberonic DNS servers after reading a thread on this site. Lately these servers have also been flakey so for the last 3 or 4 weeks I have been using Level3's servers (also found in a thread on DSL Reports) and once again have aggrivation free surfing. Bottom line: I'm still happy with Cyberonic and I'm one who likes to gripe.

19 November 2012

Damn, time flies by. Coming up on 10 years and I'm still using Cyberonic, although a few years ago I upgraded to the 3.0/768 plan. Typically I get 2.6 to 2.8/660. We tried 6.0/768 but speed did not increase and the connection became unstable (I am about 11,200 feet from my CO). Other then one incident a few years ago when I lost connectivity secondary to a construction crew ripping up a 60+ year old cable about 8 blocks from my home (AT&T actually fixed that in about 2 days, amazing seeing as the crew also broke a water main and the vault/access hole that AT&T made promptly flooded!!) service has been flawless. My only other choices here are Time Warner and uVerse, at some point I may go with Time Warner as I have been doing some work for them as a cross connect vendor for their business class services. I have not had any reason to call Cyberonic in years and with the recent upgrades in their eMail servers do not anticipate having to call although I may just to see what possibilities exist now for faster speeds. All in all other then a desire for faster speed with lower monthly cost I have no complaints whatsoever.

Cyberonic continues to rock.

Comments:

Review by pizzaman1 See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
  • Telco party Covad
Good "Very fast upload 1 meg"
Bad "n/a"
Overall "Fast upload, all ports open, 1 static IP"

Udated 12-31-08

Still a great service. No problem what so ever.

Happy new year!

Updated 3-17-08

I have upgraded to 8m/1m service and works great. Several years with Cyberonic, Static IP and so far great service.

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

I've had these guys for over three years now, 1.5/768 Static IP for $39.99/mon. I don't have any real issues when it's working, but when it breaks, what a nightmare. There were several outages that were all MCI related. One time when I lost carrier on the modem, all it took was a reset of the DSLAM card in the CO but that took 2 days. I wonder how many others this knocked out of service. Cyberonic technical did whatever they could. They answer calls right away days, nights and weekend. That’s what I like about them very responsive. Based on my experience, customer service is very friendly and helpful.

I am one HAPPY camper and would never change, all I know is I've been extremely pleased with them for years and continue to recommend them.

Comments:

Review by toshbre See Profile

• Location: Taneyville,Taney,MO
Bad "horrible customer service. I has blocked and still continusly billed after several complaints."
Overall "liars and crocks"

Do not be fooled by this internet service. In the begenning it will apper to be working great. I actually signed up for this service in January 2012 and during my 10 day trial was very pleased. I had faster speeds than I had ever had in the rural area I live in. After about a minth I started getting kicked off the internet for 30 minutes or so a few times a week. When I called in I was told they would send me a new error card and every thing woulds be fine. It actually was untill the first of the next month when the internet went out for 4 days. Again I called in and was told I needed another new error card. I received this and installed it and again I had internet for about a month but on the first of the month again I lost my internet. By this time I was getting very frustrated with this company and again called in asking why I did not have any internet. This time I was told I needed an external antenna to keep from loosing this again. So, I bought the $145.00 antenna, set it all upo and had nothing. By this time I had received 4 error cards bought a new antenna that they stated would fix everything and had spent nearly as much time with out internet as I had with internet. After 3 straight weeks of no internet and several work tickets opened to try to resolve the problem I was advised that they had blocked my area and the service would continue to be as it was. Can you belive that! The lady even suggested I should keep the service that they had sold to me and then blocked me from useing. Later I was told they would waive my early termination fee and reimburse me for all my down time since they had failed to inform me that I was BLOCKED. To my surprise just 2 weeks later I oipened an email from them expecting to find the amount of my refund but instead saw an invoice where I was being billed for another month of service! I did call in again and was told that they had doubled billed me and one of the payments would be reversed however they do not feel they owe me any sort of a refund. I had been told by 3 people that i would receive this refund and now I was not only not receiving the refund but would be responsible for another months worth of internet that I had been blocked from for 2 and a half months. TRhese people are liars, theives and just simply crocks!!

Comments:

Review by phrider See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Stable, reliable connection of 5Mb on 6Mb/768Kb Covad line"
Bad "Little problems unaddressed"
Overall "Very steady and reliable service"

I have been using Cyberonic since late 2002. At that time, they were using MCI, then later switched to Covad.

The Covad service, like the MCI service before, has been very steady. The service is on a shared voice line -- so I have not had a problem with my prior Sprint ION dryline wire pair being taken by an AT&T installer on Friday evening every 6 weeks or so.

Speeds have been consistent, line reliability has been very very high.

I have a 6Mb/768Kb service that achieves about 5Mb download, with steady low local ping times (23ms from LA to SF).

The annoying but minor problem is the BritePort DSL modem, which keeps reverting to an incorrect DNS address. Covad and Cyberonic should have been able to fix this years ago. It isn't an issue for me since I set Google and OpenDNS in my router.

Update 1/2012: I dropped Cyberonic in mid-2011 because the local TWC service had gotten stable enough that I no longer felt that I needed a dual cable & DSL connection (for an extra $55 or so per month). I do have a Verizon 4G MiFi, so if TWC has a problem, I have a backup.

Comments:

Review by Timmn See Profile

• Location: Tinley Park,Cook,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "It Works"
Bad "No Communication"
Overall "They need to do some work."

·DIRECTV
I am a ex-DirecTV customer, when they announced that they were shutting down, I looked at the reviews here, and saw that Cyberonic had mostly good reviews. I thought to myself that they must be doing something right. Just before Christmas, I called and put in my order.

The salesperson was very nice, aren't they all, and he took my order, phone number, and e-mail address and said someone would contact me.

The Router arrived January 10th, no contact from Cyberonic. I sent their tech support department an e-mail saying the router had arrived, and that nobody had contacted me as to my order status.

January 11th, I got an answer back saying that my order was in progress, and the turn up date was January 21st.

January 21st, having no contact whatsoever with anybody at Cyberonic, I wasn't expecting anything, I wasn't disappointed.

January 22nd A technician from Ameritech unexpectedly shows up at my house, and does something. I wasn't home at the time. I hook up the filters, and the router, to see if it works, and it does. Still no communication of any kind from Cyberonic.

My SDSL connection from DirecTV is still functioning, so, at the moment, I have both. I'm just wondering if I should contact DirecTV and have them disconnect it. The salesperson at Cyberonic said that they would "take care of everything", I wonder if they did.

January 24th, So far, I have no complaint about the service itself. My biggest beef with Cyberonic is that if someone hadn't seen the Ameritech technician in my driveway, and told me about it, the router would still be sitting in it's box on my desk. Before I was told about the visit, I e-mailed Cyberonic to find out if my cutover date was changed. I have yet to get an answer.

Comments:

Review by marshmello See Profile

• Location: Desert Hot Springs,Riverside,CA
  • Telco party Sprint
Good "Unlimited 3g service with static IP"
Overall "Excellent service. Highly recommended"

I have been a happy Cyberonic customer for over 6 years. Originally I signed up for Cyberonic/MCI DSL because I needed static IP. The connection was very solid and then moved to Cyberonic/Covad for higher speed. I had 10.0m/1.0 package which was very reliable and fast. I recently moved and now the only service available is either Satellite or 3g wireless. I got 3g wireless because the ping rate is much lower ~200 to 300 ms compare to high rates of satellite and I got a static IP which is a must for my work VPN connection.

I had a very good experience with Cyberonic service, technical support are very knowledgeable, service is excellent. They've got me up and running in 3 days when there were no DSL or cable available in my area. A+

member for 4 years, 0 visits, last login: 4 years ago

Comments:

Review by theyrnuts See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "None"
Bad "Horrible company to deal with, expensive, inept"
Overall "I regret ever doing business with them and urge you to stay away."

I had trouble with Cyberonic from the very beginning when they bungled my installation and lied to me about arrangements they said that had made with the installer. As a result, I spent almost two years paying almost $70/month (their already expensive price for 6 mbps service) for 4 mbps service. While I was a customer, I had problems with double billing, rude customer service reps, two week delays to even get an email reply from the "billing department", and more lies. They would try to give me the runaround by saying I had to speak to the billing department, but they were never available, and the reps refused to transfer me, then they refused to let me speak to a supervisor, saying that no supervisors where available, and that they wouldn't ask them to call me back because "why would I have a supervisor call you back just to tell you the same thing I'm telling you?" They also refused to send me a copy of my contract. When I pointed out some of the lies I had been told, one rep told me, and I quote, "There is no such thing as a lie." It was one of the most surreal interactions I've ever had with a company in my life.

As a final insult, they demand that you ship back the modem (that you have to pay around $45 dollars for in the beginning), and if you don't, they charge you, wait for it, $400. The whole thing is very shady, because you are forced to pay for it, giving you the impression that you are buying it, then they give you a "refund" after six months, but then you have to send it back or pay $400. The modem is commercially available for around $30.

I would avoid this company like the plague.

Comments:

Review by w1nr See Profile

• Location: Marlborough,Middlesex,MA
  • Telco party Covad
Good "Very reliable, decent speeds, static IP"
Bad "Speed penalty for multiple static IP"
Overall "Overall a great DSL service"

I have been using them for several years and I must say it has been very reliable. Almost no down time and then usually 2:00 AM Sunday morning. You do get a hit for multiple static IP addresses as they cut the peak download bandwidth from 6Mbit to 4Mbit and charge you $15 extra to boot. The line was installed without a hitch. The modem died once and I got a new one overnight.

Comments:

Review by easys See Profile

• Location: Beaumont,Jefferson,TX
Good "Solid wireless connection, low ping"
Bad "Wish for faster speed."
Overall "3g evdo 1.5m wireless service when nothing else available."

The service is great, 1.5 meg wireless EVDO 3g Internet speed. The service setup was hassle free. I got a free wireless router, and a booster antenna. I have received acceptable speeds at 1 to 1.4 meg. The latency and ping rate is about ~200 ms which is much better than satellite. It has been very good except for one technical issue that lasted for a few days recently. One of the pins on the adapter cable that goes from the booster antenna to the Aircard was broken and I was getting much lower speed, it took many phone calls to convince them there was an issue and not on my computer. The issue was spotted and finally corrected; I received a replacement antenna sent via overnight mail. At the moment, since nothing else available in my area, I have not regretted signing up for Cyberonic 3g Wireless. In my honest opinion, Cyberonic is the best service I have ever had.

Comments:

Review by mooboynyc See Profile

• Location: Media,Delaware,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Helpful and knowledgable phone tech support"
Bad "Business connection went down for FOUR days"
Overall "A former long-time Cyberonic customer now decidedly dissatisfied."

Data: Two accounts, home and business
Speed: 6.0/768 -- home connection degraded to 3.0/512
Price: Home line-shared DSL: $70/month + 5 IPs at $15/month; Busness dry copper line: $110/month (includes 5 IPs and taxes)
Equipment: Netopia 3347W (4 ethernet ports + wireless)
Connection: PPPoE (still can get additional static IPs)

Install Process:
Installation was rocky, but not Cyberonic's fault. They did their best to push the ILEC and CLEC to correct initial issues.

Significant notes:
Phone tech support is knowledgable and helpful. Emails to tech support usually went unanswered.

Having used Cyberonic for several years while living in NYC (on the MCI backbone then), and the network was incredibly stable. I chose them for both my home and business connections when I moved, a testament to their service at the time.

Things have changed.

DSL gives you some of the slowest of the "high speed" access around, and dealing with Cyberonic reselling Covad who is reselling Verizon copper means price mark-ups and repair delays. FiOS and cable give you much better speeds at lower prices.

The impetus for my recent change in service provider: my business line was down for FOUR days.

FOUR DAYS.

Though this was due to something that Verizon did to the line, Cyberonic was not proactive in getting the issue resolved. I'm paying business rates (i.e., arbitrarily inflated) for a dry copper line, and they do not have anyone monitoring my issue. Everything stalled until I called to ask for a status update and get someone to take action on resolving the problem. This may be acceptable for a residential connection, but not for a business.

To add insult to injury, they require 30 days notice for termination, so even though they get credit from Covad for period the line is unused, they pocket the difference.