MPInet page on DSLReports

Review by is2good2toss See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "better than nothing"
Bad "not much better than nothing"
Overall "not high speed intrenet"

This is the ISP for so called "High-speed Internet” service in the rooms at Disney World resorts. A decade ago this Ethernet wired service might have been considered high speed in isolated parts of the world but at close to $10 per day, just about any dial-up service is a strong competitor. The fastest speed that I could force out of this carrier was 117KB/s. Worse, the network has a bad habit of returning Disney ads if you don't change the webpage your are viewing fairly often.

Comments:

Review by guynfla See Profile

• Location: New Port Richey,Pasco,FL
  • Telco party NorthPoint
  • CLEC party: NorthPoint
Good "Not much"
Bad "everything else"
Overall "MPI motto "To hell with the customer"....`"

Well I too am a victim of the North Point disaster. But it seems as some companies are following up and trying to offer a solution to the problem
where as MPIsuck net is not. Their solution.... Terminate the contract. Now of course if I would have terminated the contract that would have
cost me 250.00. What do I get from them. Bye... nice knowing you. Great huh. Anyone with a business looking for DSL, I would recommend
another area of service. And since I am too far from the CO to get regular DSL ( I have IDSL) Im pretty much SOL since Verizon, who's lines
were being used anyway doesnt offer the IDSL service. Once again To hell with the customer. I guess when you have a monopoly you dont
need to add additonal customers to you base.

Comments:

Review by dubsac See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
  • CLEC party: NorthPoint
Good "MPINet is no longer offering Residential DSL!"
Bad "Total disregard for the customer, almost never returned phone calls."
Overall "Its a good thing MPINet is getting out of residential DSL!"

MPINet took my order in October as a simple ISP swap on a running Northpoint line. At first I was very optimistic as they had a contract with minimum acceptable speeds that I signed. I switched to MPINet because my previous ISP was unable to give me the speed I ordered (784/784) and gave me an ADSL product (784/416) on an SDSL circuit.

My optimism began to fade after a few weeks when MPINet dropped the ball on the ISP transfer. I was still patient even though they botched the transfer, and figured even though they had to place a new order, I would be satisfied if they could provide me the line I wanted.

MPINet confirmed to me in the beginning of December that a FOC date had been confirmed (12/20 I believe) and I asked them if I would need to be at my apartment to meet the Inside Wiring technician. They assured me that I would not need to be at the premises and that everything would be set up soon. 12/20 came along and I got home from work to messages on my answering machine from a Bellsouth technician who could not get into my building because I was not there. I called MPINet and explained that I had asked them a few weeks before if I needed to be at the premises and they had said no, and to make sure to let me know of the next FOC date so that I could be at home to let the tech in.

During this time, almost all of the communication between MPINet and myself was when I called MPINet. They almost never contacted me, even when I left messages to be called back regarding status or anything else. Another 3 FOC dates came and went, NONE of which MPINet even let me know were scheduled, much less let me know of when to be at home for the Bellsouth techs to access my building. I had specifically told MPINet to inform me of the dates so I would not leave a BS tech stranded at the fornt gate of my building, yet again MPINet did not do a thing to let me know, and kept sending techs out to the premises. One morning in early March, I got a phone call from a tech who was stranded outside my building, and he had gotten my cell phone number off of my answering machine. Naturally I had no idea he was due to show up, as again MPINet did nothing to let me know about the appointment. I told him that even though I was at work, I could take the next morning off to meet him, and the tech said that would be fine, and even though they do not schedule appointments he would make an exception for me as I explained to him my story.

I was pretty content at the time, until the tech called me back in the afternoon to let me know that Northpoint had cancelled my order because apparently they were tired of sending techs out to my apartment that could not access the building. He said he tried his hardest to get Northpoint not to cancel the order, but they wouldn't budge. I was furious, and called MPINet to let them hear about it. They said that since my order was cancelled, and since they are no longer offering residential DSL (I wonder why?) they could not do anything for me. I spoke with the head of the DSL provisioning department, and explained just how badly their company had botched my order, which OVER 100 DAYS BEFORE should have been taken care of simply as an ISP transfer, and that the least they could do was try to give me a good deal on a business-class DSL line since they could not place a new residential order or resurrect mine. They offered me nothing.

A few days of investigation revealed that my order had been downgraded to IDSL without me even being notified, sometime in December!! They claimed that BellSouth said there was no copper available, which is funny seeing as how I had an operational NP SDSL line before MPINet botched the ISP transfer and I had a BS ADSL line installed around the same time, both on copper pairs, obviously. I also wonder how they were planning to give me a guaranteed speed of at least 700/700Kbps as I had specified on my contract with a 144K IDSL line! Unbelieveable..

In short, I don't know if MPINet could have done worse if they were TRYING to botch my order. Who knows, maybe they were trying to as they were getting out of the residential DSL market. Thats probably a good thing for consumers given my experiences with MPINet. They didn't return 90% of calls, botched an easy ISP transfer, and then failed to notify me of 4 FOC dates and downgraded my order to IDSL without notifying me or noticing that it would void my contract anyways.

Thankfully, MPINet did not get any money from me, but they wasted over 4 months of my time with their incompetence. Business customers BEWARE, this company is run very poorly.

member for 14.1 years, 263 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago