MPInet page on DSLReports

Review by dlunsf See Profile

• Location: Lakeland,Polk,FL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
  • CLEC party: NorthPoint
Good "Gave me a prepaid shipping label to return the dsl modem with."
Bad "Generally incompetent, bad customer service."
Overall "Don't put up with the hassle of dealing with MPInet, if you have a choice, get cable."

The following letter that I sent to MPInet should pretty well sum up what it is like trying to deal with MPInet.

Ms. Tackett,

A couple of months ago, my 784k sdsl stopped working, so I picked up the phone to call tech support to see what was going on. After waiting for a little over an hour (which is only about twenty minutes more than I had come to expect to wait to talk to anyone at MPInet), I gave up and decided to call back the next day. The next day I called back and, after waiting about 45 minutes, I spoke to a gentleman who informed me that the outage was because NorthPoint had finally pulled the plug. I had known about the NorthPoint bankruptcy since they had filed for chapter 11, so I knew that it was only a matter of time before my service would be stopped and it didn't bother me. What bothered me was what happened next. I asked the gentleman from tech support if and how I would be released from my one-year contract. He told me that he would transfer me to another department and I would have to check to see if there was an alternative CLEC provider that I could use before they could release me from the contract. After waiting for another thirty minutes on hold, I was told that MPInet no longer offered residential dsl service and that I would be released from my contract. Why was I asked to hold so I could talk to someone else if the original person knew that MPInet didn't even offer residential dsl service? And, if he didn't know, why not? What a fitting end to my relationship with a company who, throughout the relationship, showed not only a general lack of competence, but also a lack of consideration for thier customers.

Today, I recieved your package asking for the return of the dsl modem that I was given. First of all, before I signed up for dsl service, I was told that the modem would be mine to keep (more of the incompetency and lack of consideration that I mentioned above) and I guess I am lucky that I didn't just throw it away. Now, I know that the modem is of no use to me or anyone else that doesn't know how to hard code a new username and password into it. I also know that the modem will only work with certain equipment at the CO (i.e. the equipment that AT&T just bought) so I really don't mind returning it. The letter that was sent in the box that I recieved today says, "Please drop the package off at your local post office..." yet, the shipping label that was included is for UPS. Am I missing something here, or does the US Post Office take packages for UPS now? I am assuming that you meant for me to take the package to my local UPS office, but I figured I would take the opportunity to point out your own lack of competence.

It took nearly three months to get my dsl hooked up in the first place. This was mainly because of Verizon, but things would have been greatly expedited if someone from MPInet would have gotten on the phone with the right people. If I had not taken it upon myself to get a hold of people, MPInet, NorthPoint, and Verizon would probably still be pointing fingers at each other and my service would probably have never been hooked up. Many companies try very hard to get customers, but once they get them, they really don't care how they are treated. It seems that MPInet doesn't even try to get customers and they especially don't care about keeping them.

Your web page says, "MPInet offers the full range of Internet access to our residential customers, from the blinding speed of a Residential ISDN connection, to the more conventional 56K Dial-Up plans." I am not sure why the word internet was capitalized there. Instead, it should probably read something like this, "MPInet offers a staggerlingly small range of internet access to our residential customers, we seem to be stuck in the early to mid nineties and will not offer you anything more than what was available during that time period." Also, I should mention that the words "blinding speed" in no way describe ISDN and to use them in such a way could probably be seen as false advertising.

I now use RoadRunner for internet access and in most ways it is better than the service I had from MPInet. First of all, it took a total of four days (one of the was sunday) from the time I ordered until the time it was online. Compare that to nearly three months with MPInet dsl. I get downloads at up to 4mb. Compare that to 0.75mb with MPInet dsl. The most I have waited to talk to customer service at RoadRunner has been about 5 minutes. The least I ever waited to talk to someone at MPInet was 25 minutes (normally sales lines are picked up very quickly...not at MPInet). I pay about $40 per month for RoadRunner. Compare that to $50 per month with MPInet. My contract with RoadRunner is month to month, so I can stop it at any time without penalty. Compare that to 1 year with MPInet and if you stop early you pay an extra fee. The only thing that was better with MPInet was the fact that my upstream was about 350kb more than it is with RoadRunner. This leaves me wondering if you could give me any reason why anyone would ever use MPInet if they had a choice. I know I would never have signed up with MPInet if RoadRunner had been available here at the time I signed up.

For the reasons listed above, I will never deal with MPInet again, and I will recommend the same to all of my clients and friends. Also, I will be including this letter in my review of MPInet on www.dslreports.com so that potential customers will have the opportunity of knowing what they will be dealing with before they sign a contract with MPInet. If I want to be treated like this again, I will just sign up with AOL, at least it is cheaper. Please feel free to forward this letter to anyone who you feel should read it, like customer service, tech support, sales, and marketing. Have a nice day.

Donald Lunsford

member for 13.9 years, 411 visits, last login: 11.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by oldskoolnet8 See Profile

• Location: Delray Beach,Palm Beach,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
  • CLEC party: NorthPoint
Good "commercial sdsl at residential pricing, good coordination"
Bad "tech support not open past 9pm"
Overall "excellent deal, when it was available"

MpiNet no longer offers residential DSL anymore, however when they did, I was overjoyed when I was emailed by them telling me I can get static ip and 416k/416k SDSL in my house on a conditioned circuit in Delray Beach for only 49.95/month. I replied and was emailed a contract to sign and fax to them.

I left it sit and for a month, while I researched Northpoint's other partners, and since flashcom was down, the other providers' prices were jacked and I had to pay for the modem and installation.

When I returned to mpinet's website and called them, they told me the residential price was jacked up to 69.95 -- and a week later they no longer offered residential DSL (adsl, sdsl, idsl, anything). I called once more and told them I had an email and a contract in my inbox and wondered if that would work. Chris Laneve faxed me an edited version of the contract, and told me because I already had a pending order, I could go through with it.

Due to ABSOLUTELY F$%CKING HORRIBLE EXPERIENCES WITH BELLSOUTH ADSL I HAVE A LOT OF PATIENCE, SO I DECIDED NOT TO BOTHER calling Mpinet but twice.

1/6/01
Faxed contract to MpiNet

1/17/01
Called Mpinet, was told my line was successfully
provisioned and Bellsouth would drop a fresh circuit in on the 29th of jan

1/29/01
Bellsouth dude shows up and dry humps the side of my house for a short while

1/31/01
Northpoint calls house asking when they can come install
Scheduled date of 2/8/01

2/2/01
Modem arrives
Netopia SDSL lan modem
(I already had a linksys usb 10baset ethernet adapter from my cable modem

2/8/01
Northpoint installer "Juan shows up. Drills hole in wall, drags a line through,
blah blah does his thing. I'm not pinging, and they shipped the wrong ip printed on the sheet that give you your details when you signup.
He calls northpoint and northpoint calls MpiNet,
I'm given a new ip (static) and Melanie clears my circuit
(they did not activate my circuit until northpoint came)
First speed test was exactly 362k down / 362k up
No problems ever since, getting 384k down no slower / 392k up no slower
( I have tried tweaking )

I love mpinet
thanks chris
thanks melanie

member for 13.6 years, 131 visits, last login: 8.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by nandosftp See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
  • CLEC party: NorthPoint
Good "Good Install coordination with Northpoint and Bellsouth"
Bad "None so far. DHCP. PPPoe"
Overall "Its worth the money."

Well I placed my order on my 3rd DSL line at my residence on october 17 , 2000. Everything has been going smooth since im been around all the installation BS , that the ILEC or the TELCO can throw at you. Well this time I said screw it, if there a company thats good enought I will not even call them or email them just send them the contract and see what they do, and well I've been suprised. No calls to MPInet and they managed to keep their appointments and promise. So far my line is totally clean and can a except either a 6.5Mbit/1mbit ADSL or a 1.5mbit SDSL. Well Since I got a 768 SDSL line from covad already installed almost a year ago. Im cancelling that one and keep the MPInet as the replacement hoping for a nice ping and some realiable speed.

I will keep you posted on the installation of the inside wiring and hardware.

-nando

member for 14.5 years, 146 visits, last login: 8.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by terr See Profile

• Location: Altamonte Springs,Seminole,FL
  • Telco party Sprint
Good "Competent staff, Quality equipment, Takes Responsibilty for the whole DSL connection"
Bad "Growing Pains - phone contact sometimes difficult"
Overall "Good compentent service provider with excellent pricing and no surprise charges"

Please note that the review price/speed specifics are based on my employer's business account account. MPI provides a wide range of price/speed/type DSL accounts. (Go to www.mpinet.net.) My home account costs $45/mo 512k/128k. But, installation was smooth-sailing, requiring no support and minimal contact, leaving little experience on which to base a review.

We are satisfied with the connection and service provided by MPINet. Getting DSL connectd to Xenotronix hit a few snags. The phone service to our building had a cross connection, and the internal phone line we chose to use was of inadequate quality. MPI managed the difficulties at a great deal of time/expense to themselves. And, once up, the connection has been reliable and no-maintenance. The DSL router provided was first rate, and the techs that resolved the snags were competent. We also have a domain with them that has been manage with few problems. A minor snag with outgoing e-mail from the domain was resolved quickly by their tech-support. If I have one complaint, it would be that getting through by telephone can sometimes be difficult, as the company seems to be growing faster than its staff. The receptionist easily got me through whenever making contact was a problem. (Mostly the problem was voice-mail tag.)

Speed of connection: 512kb downstream / 128kb upstream

Order/Install process: Hit a few snags, but competently resolved

Equipment: Efficient Networks SpeedStream 5660, Dynamic IP

Comments:

Review by acp5 See Profile

• Location: Lady Lake,Lake,FL
  • Telco party Sprint
Good "Actual vs. Claimed Speed"
Bad "News Server"
Overall "Excellent Value"

I have been a MPInet customer for 4-1/2 years. They provided excellent dial-up service and so far I'm very pleased with the 512/128 ADSL connection.

I had to sign a 6 month contract. There were no install charges and MPInet provided the NIC and bridge at no charge. I won the equipment at the end of six months.

I am one of the first to have DSL in this rather rural area in Central Florida about 50 miles north of Orlando. I ordered DSL service in June of this year and was told they would contact me in about two weeks for an installation appointment. I had to leave town for three weeks just about the time the two week wait time was expiring. While I was out of town MPInet contacted my wife and she told them to wait til I returned.

When I returned the first week of August I called MPInet and was informed that there was a hold on new installs due to a "Sprint" problem that should be resolved within two weeks.

My hardware is a home built PC based on a two year old Soyo mobo with a 333 Mhz. AMD K6 II and 128MB of SDRAM. MPInet provied a CNET 200 PRO NIC and ZyXEL 642M bridge, NTS PPPoE software and dynamic IP.

I was contacted on August 28th and an install appointment was set for September 1st. The tech arrived on time. The installer is not a MPInet employee but a subcontractor that works for All Tech that does some or all of MPInet's installs.

I had everything ready for him to install the NIC and external modem. He checked for sync and all was fine. Everything went well until he tried to instal the NTS software. No mater what he tried, different NIC cards and different modems the system would not come up.

By now the tech had been here three hours and it was 9:00P. He said he would return the next day with some different hardware and try again. He returned the next as scheduled with different hardware and still could not get the software configured.

He called NTS for any suggestions they might have. The NTS tech support suggested maybe the PCI drivers on my mother board needed upgrading. We connected, via dial-up, to the mother board vendors web site and found some new drivers. Those were downloaded, installed, and immediately the tech was able to get me up and running with an ADSL connection.

The only negative I have concerning MPInet is there choice of usenet providers. I have complained to them over the years about poor performance. It's not the quantity of groups, about 35K, but occasionally I can't connect or the download speed is very slow. This happens infrequently and is not a major negative as far as I'm concerned.

After several speed tests of timing large file downloads I find the average down speed to be close to 500K.

I did not rate their tech support as I have not had to contact them.

member for 13.9 years, 44 visits, last login: 11.5 years ago

• Location: Winter Park,Orange,FL
  • CLEC party: NorthPoint
Good "Overall excellent and prompt service"
Bad "Can't say much"
Overall "Go for it!"

Overall, DSL installation with MPINet and Sprint was pretty painless. I'm
sorry I didn't keep a journal like everyone else here, I figured uqick to-
the-point paragraph would do nicely. Anyway, the application was really
easy, and I was basically signed up officially about a week after I began
the process. From that time until my DSL was installed today was awhile,
but that was probably my fault as I was online alot and they probably got
busy signals very frequently. =\

Of course, once the appointment was set, I was sound as a pound. MPINet
told me the Northpoint Rep would get there at 1PM on Tuesday, and he
showed up at 11:50, saying he was told to arrive at 12 PM. At least he
wasn't late...

When everything was installed, he checked it out on his laptop, called
Sprint and Northpoint, but he couldn't get through to MPINet to get the
IPs for the Networking settings. So he left me to install the ethernet
card I had picked up at Best Buy and I called MPINet at about 5:30 PM
(they said they were on a lunch break around noon.) I entered the
Networking settings, finished a 15 meg download I had been eating away at
for about a week in 30 seconds, and laughed my head off. Hooray for MPINet!

Get yourname@yourdomain.com FREE from »www.bn3.com/ !

(review was emailed from domain bitsmart.org)

Comments:

Review by altec8 See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL

Moved to Orlando about 19 months ago, signed up with MPInet for 56k service. Was very pleased with service(to the point that I had my employer change ISP's to them), so I stayed with them when I moved on to DSL about 3 months ago. Ordering was a breeze -they gave me dates when they were available for installation, I chose one, then the tech called me at work that day so that I could meet him at my house within a minimum loss of work time. Installation time was less than one hour, without difficulty. Installed a Speedstream 3060. Setup price was $100, modem was free, and $45 per month for service with 3 email addresses and 7 MB web site. Ordered 1.5M/256k speed, and have consistently gotten over 1300k download, which is great considering the condition of the wiring where I am and that I am 2 miles from the BellSouth CO. Over the years I have dealt with about 6 ISP's, and MPInet is by far the best.

member for 14.4 years, 100 visits, last login: 9.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by Rick679 See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL

Exactly 10 days after I signed a six month contract for ADSL, a truck pulled into my driveway with a tech ready to install my DSL service. I was scheduled for an install between 1pm and 3pm and the tech arrived at 2:30pm. Now I am a bit protective of my computer and wanted to see if this guy had a clue about what he was doing. His name is David and he's a real live computer geek! What a relief, this guy was about 24 years old and knows windows inside out. He checked the line, installed the splitter and internal modem and 1 hour later we were connected. He could only get 100k and called the office and was told that Bellsouth was to blame and that they would contact them and get it corrected. Mpinet is a local service in Orlando who is a reseller of DSL from Bellsouth. The whole reason I went with Mpinet for DSL service is because of their great reputation for service. But now David was leaving and I was only slightly faster than my 56k connection! All I could think of was the horror stories that have been posted at this site about getting DSL up and running properly and at speed. I am happy to report that I did not have to call tech support 12 times, or wait for endless visits to my home to correct the problem. At about 9pm that evening I noticed a change, web pages were popping up as if they were cache pages! I checked my speed on this site and it was: 2000-02-24 00:21:31 1133199 1100kbps (copy from the logged download test). I even got an email from my rep (Cal) at Mpinet to make sure that I was up to speed. How about that, they contacted me to see if all was well and if I was satisfied. Now that's the way to do business, it's called customer service. Something that is so lacking in review after review that I have read. I highly recommend Mpinet to anyone in the central Florida area! One last note, I was previously connected via 56k modem with this ISP and never had disconnects and had totally reliable service.

member for 14.5 years, 184 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago