MPInet page on DSLReports

Review by is2good2toss See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "better than nothing"
Bad "not much better than nothing"
Overall "not high speed intrenet"

This is the ISP for so called "High-speed Internet” service in the rooms at Disney World resorts. A decade ago this Ethernet wired service might have been considered high speed in isolated parts of the world but at close to $10 per day, just about any dial-up service is a strong competitor. The fastest speed that I could force out of this carrier was 117KB/s. Worse, the network has a bad habit of returning Disney ads if you don't change the webpage your are viewing fairly often.

member for 8.3 years, 20 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by dlunsf See Profile

• Location: Lakeland,Polk,FL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
  • CLEC party: NorthPoint
Good "Gave me a prepaid shipping label to return the dsl modem with."
Bad "Generally incompetent, bad customer service."
Overall "Don't put up with the hassle of dealing with MPInet, if you have a choice, get cable."

The following letter that I sent to MPInet should pretty well sum up what it is like trying to deal with MPInet.

Ms. Tackett,

A couple of months ago, my 784k sdsl stopped working, so I picked up the phone to call tech support to see what was going on. After waiting for a little over an hour (which is only about twenty minutes more than I had come to expect to wait to talk to anyone at MPInet), I gave up and decided to call back the next day. The next day I called back and, after waiting about 45 minutes, I spoke to a gentleman who informed me that the outage was because NorthPoint had finally pulled the plug. I had known about the NorthPoint bankruptcy since they had filed for chapter 11, so I knew that it was only a matter of time before my service would be stopped and it didn't bother me. What bothered me was what happened next. I asked the gentleman from tech support if and how I would be released from my one-year contract. He told me that he would transfer me to another department and I would have to check to see if there was an alternative CLEC provider that I could use before they could release me from the contract. After waiting for another thirty minutes on hold, I was told that MPInet no longer offered residential dsl service and that I would be released from my contract. Why was I asked to hold so I could talk to someone else if the original person knew that MPInet didn't even offer residential dsl service? And, if he didn't know, why not? What a fitting end to my relationship with a company who, throughout the relationship, showed not only a general lack of competence, but also a lack of consideration for thier customers.

Today, I recieved your package asking for the return of the dsl modem that I was given. First of all, before I signed up for dsl service, I was told that the modem would be mine to keep (more of the incompetency and lack of consideration that I mentioned above) and I guess I am lucky that I didn't just throw it away. Now, I know that the modem is of no use to me or anyone else that doesn't know how to hard code a new username and password into it. I also know that the modem will only work with certain equipment at the CO (i.e. the equipment that AT&T just bought) so I really don't mind returning it. The letter that was sent in the box that I recieved today says, "Please drop the package off at your local post office..." yet, the shipping label that was included is for UPS. Am I missing something here, or does the US Post Office take packages for UPS now? I am assuming that you meant for me to take the package to my local UPS office, but I figured I would take the opportunity to point out your own lack of competence.

It took nearly three months to get my dsl hooked up in the first place. This was mainly because of Verizon, but things would have been greatly expedited if someone from MPInet would have gotten on the phone with the right people. If I had not taken it upon myself to get a hold of people, MPInet, NorthPoint, and Verizon would probably still be pointing fingers at each other and my service would probably have never been hooked up. Many companies try very hard to get customers, but once they get them, they really don't care how they are treated. It seems that MPInet doesn't even try to get customers and they especially don't care about keeping them.

Your web page says, "MPInet offers the full range of Internet access to our residential customers, from the blinding speed of a Residential ISDN connection, to the more conventional 56K Dial-Up plans." I am not sure why the word internet was capitalized there. Instead, it should probably read something like this, "MPInet offers a staggerlingly small range of internet access to our residential customers, we seem to be stuck in the early to mid nineties and will not offer you anything more than what was available during that time period." Also, I should mention that the words "blinding speed" in no way describe ISDN and to use them in such a way could probably be seen as false advertising.

I now use RoadRunner for internet access and in most ways it is better than the service I had from MPInet. First of all, it took a total of four days (one of the was sunday) from the time I ordered until the time it was online. Compare that to nearly three months with MPInet dsl. I get downloads at up to 4mb. Compare that to 0.75mb with MPInet dsl. The most I have waited to talk to customer service at RoadRunner has been about 5 minutes. The least I ever waited to talk to someone at MPInet was 25 minutes (normally sales lines are picked up very quickly...not at MPInet). I pay about $40 per month for RoadRunner. Compare that to $50 per month with MPInet. My contract with RoadRunner is month to month, so I can stop it at any time without penalty. Compare that to 1 year with MPInet and if you stop early you pay an extra fee. The only thing that was better with MPInet was the fact that my upstream was about 350kb more than it is with RoadRunner. This leaves me wondering if you could give me any reason why anyone would ever use MPInet if they had a choice. I know I would never have signed up with MPInet if RoadRunner had been available here at the time I signed up.

For the reasons listed above, I will never deal with MPInet again, and I will recommend the same to all of my clients and friends. Also, I will be including this letter in my review of MPInet on www.dslreports.com so that potential customers will have the opportunity of knowing what they will be dealing with before they sign a contract with MPInet. If I want to be treated like this again, I will just sign up with AOL, at least it is cheaper. Please feel free to forward this letter to anyone who you feel should read it, like customer service, tech support, sales, and marketing. Have a nice day.

Donald Lunsford

member for 14.2 years, 411 visits, last login: 11.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by guynfla See Profile

• Location: New Port Richey,Pasco,FL
  • Telco party NorthPoint
Good "Not much"
Bad "everything else"
Overall "MPI motto "To hell with the customer"....`"

Well I too am a victim of the North Point disaster. But it seems as some companies are following up and trying to offer a solution to the problem
where as MPIsuck net is not. Their solution.... Terminate the contract. Now of course if I would have terminated the contract that would have
cost me 250.00. What do I get from them. Bye... nice knowing you. Great huh. Anyone with a business looking for DSL, I would recommend
another area of service. And since I am too far from the CO to get regular DSL ( I have IDSL) Im pretty much SOL since Verizon, who's lines
were being used anyway doesnt offer the IDSL service. Once again To hell with the customer. I guess when you have a monopoly you dont
need to add additonal customers to you base.

Comments:

Review by dubsac See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
  • CLEC party: NorthPoint
Good "MPINet is no longer offering Residential DSL!"
Bad "Total disregard for the customer, almost never returned phone calls."
Overall "Its a good thing MPINet is getting out of residential DSL!"

MPINet took my order in October as a simple ISP swap on a running Northpoint line. At first I was very optimistic as they had a contract with minimum acceptable speeds that I signed. I switched to MPINet because my previous ISP was unable to give me the speed I ordered (784/784) and gave me an ADSL product (784/416) on an SDSL circuit.

My optimism began to fade after a few weeks when MPINet dropped the ball on the ISP transfer. I was still patient even though they botched the transfer, and figured even though they had to place a new order, I would be satisfied if they could provide me the line I wanted.

MPINet confirmed to me in the beginning of December that a FOC date had been confirmed (12/20 I believe) and I asked them if I would need to be at my apartment to meet the Inside Wiring technician. They assured me that I would not need to be at the premises and that everything would be set up soon. 12/20 came along and I got home from work to messages on my answering machine from a Bellsouth technician who could not get into my building because I was not there. I called MPINet and explained that I had asked them a few weeks before if I needed to be at the premises and they had said no, and to make sure to let me know of the next FOC date so that I could be at home to let the tech in.

During this time, almost all of the communication between MPINet and myself was when I called MPINet. They almost never contacted me, even when I left messages to be called back regarding status or anything else. Another 3 FOC dates came and went, NONE of which MPINet even let me know were scheduled, much less let me know of when to be at home for the Bellsouth techs to access my building. I had specifically told MPINet to inform me of the dates so I would not leave a BS tech stranded at the fornt gate of my building, yet again MPINet did not do a thing to let me know, and kept sending techs out to the premises. One morning in early March, I got a phone call from a tech who was stranded outside my building, and he had gotten my cell phone number off of my answering machine. Naturally I had no idea he was due to show up, as again MPINet did nothing to let me know about the appointment. I told him that even though I was at work, I could take the next morning off to meet him, and the tech said that would be fine, and even though they do not schedule appointments he would make an exception for me as I explained to him my story.

I was pretty content at the time, until the tech called me back in the afternoon to let me know that Northpoint had cancelled my order because apparently they were tired of sending techs out to my apartment that could not access the building. He said he tried his hardest to get Northpoint not to cancel the order, but they wouldn't budge. I was furious, and called MPINet to let them hear about it. They said that since my order was cancelled, and since they are no longer offering residential DSL (I wonder why?) they could not do anything for me. I spoke with the head of the DSL provisioning department, and explained just how badly their company had botched my order, which OVER 100 DAYS BEFORE should have been taken care of simply as an ISP transfer, and that the least they could do was try to give me a good deal on a business-class DSL line since they could not place a new residential order or resurrect mine. They offered me nothing.

A few days of investigation revealed that my order had been downgraded to IDSL without me even being notified, sometime in December!! They claimed that BellSouth said there was no copper available, which is funny seeing as how I had an operational NP SDSL line before MPINet botched the ISP transfer and I had a BS ADSL line installed around the same time, both on copper pairs, obviously. I also wonder how they were planning to give me a guaranteed speed of at least 700/700Kbps as I had specified on my contract with a 144K IDSL line! Unbelieveable..

In short, I don't know if MPINet could have done worse if they were TRYING to botch my order. Who knows, maybe they were trying to as they were getting out of the residential DSL market. Thats probably a good thing for consumers given my experiences with MPINet. They didn't return 90% of calls, botched an easy ISP transfer, and then failed to notify me of 4 FOC dates and downgraded my order to IDSL without notifying me or noticing that it would void my contract anyways.

Thankfully, MPINet did not get any money from me, but they wasted over 4 months of my time with their incompetence. Business customers BEWARE, this company is run very poorly.

member for 14.4 years, 263 visits, last login: 10.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by oldskoolnet8 See Profile

• Location: Delray Beach,Palm Beach,FL
  • CLEC party: NorthPoint
Good "commercial sdsl at residential pricing, good coordination"
Bad "tech support not open past 9pm"
Overall "excellent deal, when it was available"

MpiNet no longer offers residential DSL anymore, however when they did, I was overjoyed when I was emailed by them telling me I can get static ip and 416k/416k SDSL in my house on a conditioned circuit in Delray Beach for only 49.95/month. I replied and was emailed a contract to sign and fax to them.

I left it sit and for a month, while I researched Northpoint's other partners, and since flashcom was down, the other providers' prices were jacked and I had to pay for the modem and installation.

When I returned to mpinet's website and called them, they told me the residential price was jacked up to 69.95 -- and a week later they no longer offered residential DSL (adsl, sdsl, idsl, anything). I called once more and told them I had an email and a contract in my inbox and wondered if that would work. Chris Laneve faxed me an edited version of the contract, and told me because I already had a pending order, I could go through with it.

Due to ABSOLUTELY F$%CKING HORRIBLE EXPERIENCES WITH BELLSOUTH ADSL I HAVE A LOT OF PATIENCE, SO I DECIDED NOT TO BOTHER calling Mpinet but twice.

1/6/01
Faxed contract to MpiNet

1/17/01
Called Mpinet, was told my line was successfully
provisioned and Bellsouth would drop a fresh circuit in on the 29th of jan

1/29/01
Bellsouth dude shows up and dry humps the side of my house for a short while

1/31/01
Northpoint calls house asking when they can come install
Scheduled date of 2/8/01

2/2/01
Modem arrives
Netopia SDSL lan modem
(I already had a linksys usb 10baset ethernet adapter from my cable modem

2/8/01
Northpoint installer "Juan shows up. Drills hole in wall, drags a line through,
blah blah does his thing. I'm not pinging, and they shipped the wrong ip printed on the sheet that give you your details when you signup.
He calls northpoint and northpoint calls MpiNet,
I'm given a new ip (static) and Melanie clears my circuit
(they did not activate my circuit until northpoint came)
First speed test was exactly 362k down / 362k up
No problems ever since, getting 384k down no slower / 392k up no slower
( I have tried tweaking )

I love mpinet
thanks chris
thanks melanie

member for 13.8 years, 131 visits, last login: 8.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by nandosftp See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
  • CLEC party: NorthPoint
Good "Good Install coordination with Northpoint and Bellsouth"
Bad "None so far. DHCP. PPPoe"
Overall "Its worth the money."

Well I placed my order on my 3rd DSL line at my residence on october 17 , 2000. Everything has been going smooth since im been around all the installation BS , that the ILEC or the TELCO can throw at you. Well this time I said screw it, if there a company thats good enought I will not even call them or email them just send them the contract and see what they do, and well I've been suprised. No calls to MPInet and they managed to keep their appointments and promise. So far my line is totally clean and can a except either a 6.5Mbit/1mbit ADSL or a 1.5mbit SDSL. Well Since I got a 768 SDSL line from covad already installed almost a year ago. Im cancelling that one and keep the MPInet as the replacement hoping for a nice ping and some realiable speed.

I will keep you posted on the installation of the inside wiring and hardware.

-nando

member for 14.8 years, 146 visits, last login: 8.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by terr See Profile

• Location: Altamonte Springs,Seminole,FL
  • Telco party Sprint
Good "Competent staff, Quality equipment, Takes Responsibilty for the whole DSL connection"
Bad "Growing Pains - phone contact sometimes difficult"
Overall "Good compentent service provider with excellent pricing and no surprise charges"

Please note that the review price/speed specifics are based on my employer's business account account. MPI provides a wide range of price/speed/type DSL accounts. (Go to www.mpinet.net.) My home account costs $45/mo 512k/128k. But, installation was smooth-sailing, requiring no support and minimal contact, leaving little experience on which to base a review.

We are satisfied with the connection and service provided by MPINet. Getting DSL connectd to Xenotronix hit a few snags. The phone service to our building had a cross connection, and the internal phone line we chose to use was of inadequate quality. MPI managed the difficulties at a great deal of time/expense to themselves. And, once up, the connection has been reliable and no-maintenance. The DSL router provided was first rate, and the techs that resolved the snags were competent. We also have a domain with them that has been manage with few problems. A minor snag with outgoing e-mail from the domain was resolved quickly by their tech-support. If I have one complaint, it would be that getting through by telephone can sometimes be difficult, as the company seems to be growing faster than its staff. The receptionist easily got me through whenever making contact was a problem. (Mostly the problem was voice-mail tag.)

Speed of connection: 512kb downstream / 128kb upstream

Order/Install process: Hit a few snags, but competently resolved

Equipment: Efficient Networks SpeedStream 5660, Dynamic IP

Comments:

Review by abctuba7 See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
  • CLEC party: NorthPoint
Good "MPI seems to be a good company"
Bad "They have very poor customer communication"
Overall "Bellsouth Strikes Again!"

I ordered 768/768 SDSL from MPInet on August 29th, 2000 for $49 a month, with free nstall and equipment. My TOS was faxed on the 1st of september, and I was told the order was placed with Bellsouth on that date. After reading some of the stories here, and the fact that I was dealing with the greastest Telco in the world, I decieded I needed to be proactive and call every week.

As far as MPI goes I found it hard to get a hold of my sales rep. Either he was not in yet, busy, or not answering his phone. I was always geting transfered to someone who most of the time didn't know what was going on. When I did get to my rep it was smooth saling, although one of the last times I called (about 20 days into the 30-45 day window) I was transfered to the DSL Coordinator and was told I was going to have to wait 45-60 days before Northpoint even got the circuit.

The porblem came back to Bellsouth as it has everytime in my two year quest for DSL. This time my order was cancelled because my distance was to great. This is after a wire distance estimate buy two companies and a drive by myself that confirmed these. This falles into line with bellsouth' previous excuses... "possible load coil", "we don't know", "bad copper". The people a BS must be so inept that only their monoply is keeping them in bussiness.

The problem with this entire set-up is the souless monsters at bellsouth. They do not nor have they ever cared about customers. They know we have to go through them somehow. I am getting to the point where I am going to make it my life quest to bring bellsouth down. What I blame MPInet for is poor communication. I was run around alot by their reps and to find out my order was cancelled I had to call them not them call me. MPInet needs to learn to communicate with their customers and their Telcos.

My advice to others is limited as there is very little you can do to cause Bellsouth any pain. I've heard writing the state Puplic services office can help. As for MPInet I believe they were stuck between a rock and a hard place and wanted to save face. I only lay 25% of the blame on them.

Comments:

Review by acp5 See Profile

• Location: Lady Lake,Lake,FL
  • Telco party Sprint
Good "Actual vs. Claimed Speed"
Bad "News Server"
Overall "Excellent Value"

I have been a MPInet customer for 4-1/2 years. They provided excellent dial-up service and so far I'm very pleased with the 512/128 ADSL connection.

I had to sign a 6 month contract. There were no install charges and MPInet provided the NIC and bridge at no charge. I won the equipment at the end of six months.

I am one of the first to have DSL in this rather rural area in Central Florida about 50 miles north of Orlando. I ordered DSL service in June of this year and was told they would contact me in about two weeks for an installation appointment. I had to leave town for three weeks just about the time the two week wait time was expiring. While I was out of town MPInet contacted my wife and she told them to wait til I returned.

When I returned the first week of August I called MPInet and was informed that there was a hold on new installs due to a "Sprint" problem that should be resolved within two weeks.

My hardware is a home built PC based on a two year old Soyo mobo with a 333 Mhz. AMD K6 II and 128MB of SDRAM. MPInet provied a CNET 200 PRO NIC and ZyXEL 642M bridge, NTS PPPoE software and dynamic IP.

I was contacted on August 28th and an install appointment was set for September 1st. The tech arrived on time. The installer is not a MPInet employee but a subcontractor that works for All Tech that does some or all of MPInet's installs.

I had everything ready for him to install the NIC and external modem. He checked for sync and all was fine. Everything went well until he tried to instal the NTS software. No mater what he tried, different NIC cards and different modems the system would not come up.

By now the tech had been here three hours and it was 9:00P. He said he would return the next day with some different hardware and try again. He returned the next as scheduled with different hardware and still could not get the software configured.

He called NTS for any suggestions they might have. The NTS tech support suggested maybe the PCI drivers on my mother board needed upgrading. We connected, via dial-up, to the mother board vendors web site and found some new drivers. Those were downloaded, installed, and immediately the tech was able to get me up and running with an ADSL connection.

The only negative I have concerning MPInet is there choice of usenet providers. I have complained to them over the years about poor performance. It's not the quantity of groups, about 35K, but occasionally I can't connect or the download speed is very slow. This happens infrequently and is not a major negative as far as I'm concerned.

After several speed tests of timing large file downloads I find the average down speed to be close to 500K.

I did not rate their tech support as I have not had to contact them.

member for 14.2 years, 44 visits, last login: 11.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by heatersbu11 See Profile

• Location: West Palm Beach,Palm Beach,FL
  • CLEC party: NorthPoint
Good "Great to talk to on the phone"
Bad "They are not squared away in the office"
Overall "never recieved service"

On 8/17/2000 I placed order. They insured me I would have service within 40 days. On 09/11/ they notified me that my line had been dropped by bellsouth on 09/06/2000. It would be on week of testing from here. Today (one week later) I called them to find they never got the order in, they needed to call northpoint and request the line to be dropped and I should have service within 40 - 60 days. NO THANKS, now they say I need to pay $200.00 to cancel order, that they never put in.

member for 14.3 years, 34 visits, last login: 13.9 years ago