Socket Internet Services page on DSLReports

Review by zabriski See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Boone,MO

Unless you live downtown Columbia, do NOT sign up for Socket. They won't tell you that the service is not working if you don't live within one mile. I live 5 miles from downtown. My speed never ever reached even 1MB, was always about 6-8kb. I tried for a while to see if I could make it anyhow, I really wanted to give my $ to a local service, but no, impossible. I work from home and I need fast connection. My mistake was not calling them the day after service was installed. I waited a few weeks (I was busy, and we all know what it means to make phone calls to services) and asked for a refund. They're waiving the $60 cancellation fee (which they charge if you cancel before one month service) but are not giving me a refund, I have to pay for my month of service. They should know that at my address service can't be even close to the advertised speed, therefore, for honesty and transparency, they should not offer installation. I had all the trouble to go get the modem, call for a technician to come fix the outside connection because the modem was not getting any signal. I would have saved all this trouble and time - and well, saved $40 bucks, because this month I really did not use their services (I was using a friend's WifI most of the time). I should have been granted a refund for having been mislead. They should not have offered their service at my address, not making me responsible for cancelling within 24 hours.

Comments:

Review by blazecom See Profile

• Location: Palmyra,Marion,MO
  • Telco party CenturyTel
Good "faster than dialup"
Bad "lossy routers, rude, cheap equipment, uninformed, no outside ip address"
Overall "NEVER CHOOSE THEM! FOR ANY REASON"

I signed up with socket and they ended up getting my name wrong, decided not to fight it, found out after i got my service that i did not have an outside ip address, was shipped a modem when i stated i already had one that was compatible with their service, they told me to keep it, billed me anyways, told me it was my fault... they are rude, they do not know what they are doing, they have 4 hops inside of their network before it even leaves to hit their outside bandwidth provider (qwest) and have horrible ping times, above 40 and 50 ms consistently, voip will not work unless you get a static ip from them..... an over all bad deal... FOR YOUR SAKE STAY AWAY FROM SOCKET!

Comments:

Review by dadeo5 See Profile

• Location: Springfield,Greene,MO
  • Telco party Southwestern Bell
Good "Tech support courteous on phone"
Bad "Salesperson implied I could use existing modem when I couldn't, they mixed up order, bad auto phone system...."
Overall "find other option"

I started my experience with Socket February 2 and at this writing, on Feb 28, I still have no DSL service in my home. I called them the beginning of February after a billing problem with SBC/Yahoo and their salesperson said I could use my SBC modem but it wouldn't be supported by their Tech Support. I knew this was common practice and said that would be great, that I had installed DSL before and was familiar with mine. I said I could set it up if they supply me with all the Socket network parameters and they said fine. I spent the next week or so trying to get my 2wire SBC modem figured out as I had problems accessing the management screen. After dealing with 2Wire on my own and getting that figured out while also dealing with some unrelated medical issues, about 7-10 days into it, I started trying to set it up to work on Socket's network. . I had it going once on my own but lost it port forwarding, I think, and never could get it back after about a week dealing with Tech Support.

That brings me to the weekend of Feb 11-12. Saturday the 11th I left a message on their phone system after much difficulty due to it acting up. It was getting loud then very quiet so I couldn't hear and it dropped me once. I left a message on it in response to their sales person calling about getting me a modem and never heard back on it so I don't think it worked. The same day I also left a message for Tech Support with no reply either. I blame the phone system but who knows?

I called again Sunday and tried to set up the SBC 2Wire modem again but had no luck, and this was with the head of their tech support - Nick. He said I should get one of their Zoom Modems that was fully supported and about $5 a month to lease. I had been banging my head against the wall long enough with no luck so I agreed to lease their modem after he said he'd comp me thru March on the modem lease fee. This sounded OK. They were told from the onset that I was disabled and on a fixed income with a tight budget. That's why I worked so hard trying to get my old modem to work to begin with and why I didn't just get a new one, -- my SBC 2Wire was pushing 3 years old - still working great though. Well, it turns out that Nick forgot to place that order and I didn't know that till the next week as I just waited patiently, till I thought it should arrive in the mail, about a week.

That brings us up to the Friday before last weekend. Saturday evening, about 5pm, a tech, their DSL Analyst, Cory, called to follow up on my account. I thought he was responding to the only email I had sent; one that Friday to Customer Support asking if they'd sent a modem and that it may have gotten stolen from my mailbox or porch while I was out, or something?? I didn't know. When I asked him about the ordered modem he said he knew nothing about any modem - never ordered. Nick must have forgot. Cory said he would reorder it Monday, yesterday, a week after Nick said he would order it and I said fine.

Later Monday (yesterday) I got the following email in reply to the email I wrongly thought Cory was responding to earlier with his follow-up call:

"Your contract says you were supplying your own modem and it was not until this morning that I find a request for a wireless router. A router will be programmed and sent to you today 2-27-06. I apologize for the delay.

Socket DSL"

Not very courteous if you ask me - signed by the company and out of the gate with "Your contract..."?. Like it was my fault they lost my order. Well, I replied, maybe a little snotily. Waiting on that response but not expecting in in a couple of days, if at all. After almost a month and no B-Band I'm losing patience. I'm still waiting on my modem and will update this review if possible when it arrives. But you have enough info to go on them right here. Find other options is my best suggestion. Even if this turns out to be a fast and reliable connection they have gotten off on totally the wrong foot with me. I will be changing ISPs next year, for sure.

UPDATE - 3/6/2006 -- 9:45 PM

A quick update - I'm connected and it's pretty fast and fairly reliable. I've had to reboot the Zoom X6 a couple of times to reconnect but not lately. I have no access to the X6's router functions so if I want to change my wep key, forward a port or anything I have to call them and they aren't that fast on the draw. Example - it took them 3 days to get back to me on connecting a Nintendo DS to the wifi - and then the only way they could get it to work is to DMZ it. So they don't know how to forward ports either..? I need to post in the forums for some BroadbandReports expertise on this cobbled together (bridged?) connection. I question it's security. But it's working so I have that..for now.

member for 10.5 years, 130 visits, last login: 3.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by gbear2779 See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Charles,MO
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "The CEO will write back"
Bad "The CEO dodges the issue"
Overall "Bad Value, My Dial Up account is faster"

I ordered 768 down/128 up from Socket Internet. First I got screwed because even though I am in Verizon's area (which was running a free modem special), I had to use Socket as my ISP so I had to pay $200 bucks for the modem. Then after it gets hooked up and running (which to their credit I do not think too long), the service slowed dramatically after a month or so. After complaining for two months, the company finally admitted they knew they had issues with speed out here and were trying to address them. It then took another month of harrassing the CEO with e-mail to get someone to call me about a credit since I was paying $50/month but only getting dial up speed. The funny thing is that the CEO had stopped responding to my e-mails for a few weeks, which was really ticking me off. Then I send him an e-mail letting him know Charter had come into the neighborhood that very week, and I that I was considering switching. Wham! That night I finally get a call from someone at the company with the power to issue a credit!! During this discussion I found out that they created the problem!! Their sales reps continued to sign up users to a circuit that was already full and proceeded to overload it. So the earlybirds got slower and slower service which the company has known about but said nothing and new customers could not possibly get delivered what was promised. So now they have promised to improve service by the middle of the month by moving me to a new circuit but I am not hopeful. Bottom line, current speed runs between 40kbps and 80 kbps most nights. I gave them to April 15th until I start looking for another provider. If you want to know what speed your getting use one of the services that measure. I downloaded the utility, Speedcheck, from www.connectcheck.com. If you live in the St. Louis area and are thinking about High Speed, don't sign up for Socket Internet. The socket e-mail address is gbear2779@socket.net but it will probably be cancelled in a few days. My neighbors have Charter and love it. Can you believe this company is one of Deloitte and Touche Fast 50? Not very fast to me. And I wrote D&T and told them so.

Comments:

Review by sm000th See Profile

• Location: Columbia,Boone,MO
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
  • CLEC party: Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "decent speeds"
Bad "cost, customer service, extra charges"
Overall "not what i really want to spend and not the options i think should be there"

DO NOT ever get Socket DSL. first off, they charge too much, the only reason i got their service is that i can not get cable modem at my location. second, they make you sign a 1 yr contract no matter how much you complain or tell them about competing company offers. third, they charge you for the modem and a setup fee even if you do a self install. then, they dont even give you an external ip address, you can access the internet from your home but you cant access your computer from anywhere else. if you want an external ip, its another 25 bucks a month plus a 50 dollar setup fee. socket is huge on setup fees, i'm surprised they dont ask for your credit card number to charge you for a fee when you call them on the phone to ask them about billing questions. oh ya, and if you want your bill emailed to you, they seem to think that should cost you an extra dollar per copy. this service is crap.