TDS page on DSLReports

Review by Ragnor See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Usually up"
Bad "extremely variable bandwidth and wierd routing."
Overall "It's better than nothing I guess and it's the only service available here."

You will never get the advertised speed. Customer service is rude and mouthy. Biggest issue seams to be band width limiting.
They will limit your bandwidth. If you complain it might increase for a few days, but then it's back to poor quality in a few weeks.
I am currently getting .87 mb down on a 15mb connection...... at best it's 9.7mb

Comments:

Queens

@184.60.143.x

true

this is the worst service! It never works and when you call in the technicians are rude and nasty!

Review by calearne See Profile

Good "Better than satellite."
Bad "Outdated speeds"
Overall "TDS is just ''ok''."

TDS is currently the only ISP available besides satellite and we have the 15Mbps/768Kbps package.

The upload speed is a complete joke if you want to upload HD videos to youtube.

I've been waiting YEARS for them to upgrade their equipment to VDSL.

If you have a question just call TDS because their email support is fairly poor.

We would switch to charter in a heartbeat (if only they expanded just a few more miles).

Comments:

river girl

@69.128.199.x

TDS phpone and internet services

OMG! I have never encountered such poor service in my 73 years. Internet speed: supposed to be 7 to 15 is normally 5 or much, much less; phone customer service deplorable. In NH there is not other provider here. I have contacted the Public Services in NH. Many others need to do this. It has taken me since June 11 to finally get my "seasonal" phone issues corrected (and yes, I have had a "seasonal phone for 12 years with the same number and same TDS). They never follow through with complaints that I email or phone calls that I make. It is a different response each time and a different excuse for lack of ability to get issues corrected. Currently a tech was supposed to be here before 12 noon to look at internet connection and it is 12:-7 and no one has called or shown up. I explained that I had to leave the residence at 12:45 for an appointment. So much for customer service and TDS! Awful!

Review by mariemorris See Profile

• Location: Tellico Plains,Monroe,TN
Overall "the worst service I have ever had to endure"

The DSL service with this company is the very worst I have ever encountered anywhere. Every time it rains here in East Tennessee, the DSL internet quits. The keep sending tech people out here for a look see and nothing is being done to fix this continuing problem. Today was a clear day and DSL quit twice for no obvuious reason. We have to keep manually disabling the DSL modem, wait 20 seconds and then power it on again. Often this doesn't work either. I'm trying to run a home biz online and can't do it when the internet connection doesn't work reliably. If I could switch to another DSL or satelite company I'd do it, but we are in mountains and limited. TDS would be my last choice even if the offered it free. Very unhappy.

Comments:

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN
·TDS

Every time it rains here in East Tennessee, the DSL internet quits

More than likely the circuits are getting wet, and that's the reason why it's dropping you off. Unfortunately, it's a common problem, and hard to fix.

Keep being persistent and request the issue be fixed.

Send away anyone that might be doing rain dances in your area
Cord Cutter Hauppauge DTV Tuner Card PlayOn.tv Hulu.com Netflix.com Windows Media Center Guide.
Here's how »homes.yahoo.com/news/how-to-pay-···275.html

Review by R32Raines See Profile

• Location: La Vergne,Rutherford,TN
Good "100/40 Fiber, Basic IPTV, Cheap for what's included. Great Customer Service."
Bad "Must bundle IPTV to get 100mb connection. No NBA TV offered."
Overall "Better alternative to Comcast. Very happy with TDS."

I wanted a 100mb service. Comcast wanted $80/month, with only 20mb upload, and the price only good for 6 months, plus modem rental after negotiating. Because of that, I switched my internet to TDS Telecom 100/40 Fiber Optics. Internet is $45/mo. + Basic IPTV is $16/mo. These prices include a free Whole Home DVR (500gb hard drive), and free wireless router/gateway (not using). This internet service level required bundling with basic IPTV service. No contract, Not a promotional price, Free Installation.

So far customer service has been nearly perfect. Very friendly, knowledgeable, efficient, and helpful. Installation went very smooth. Installers were extremely nice, cared about their quality of work, were very thorough, and catered to my requests. They explained everything very well and detailed. Technicians even gave me a couple extra Ethernet cables to the length I needed to rewire everything the way I wanted so I could use my own equipment. Service was installed with a wall plate for the ethernet and power line for the ONT. Included a small battery backup that they placed where I requested. I was informed that they maintain all equipment for free, including the battery backup. Out of the advertised 100/40 speeds, I am getting about 97.5 down and 39.5 up. Pretty darn close and acceptable. No IPV6. Simple to use my own router and switch with service. My router is an Asus RT-N66U, and my switch is a Cisco SG200-26. Installation took about 4 hours. When setting up service, I was told it was required for 1 week until installation. It was exactly 1 week.

I would completely dump Comcast TV service if TDS offered NBA TV, but they don't at this time, so I kept Comcast for TV service.

Wireless router/gateway included is an Actiontec V1000H.

IPTV Whole Home DVR included is a Cisco ISB7050.

Service uses Cat 5e cabling.

Battery Backup is a CyberPower CS24U12V.

At this point, I've had service for 1 day, and I am very happy with everything about it, except that I have to bundle TV with the 100mb internet.

If you can get this service, I recommend that you do.

1 Year Edit:

I am still extremely happy with my decision to get TDS service. I consistently get right at 98 megs down and 39.5 megs up on speed tests. When doing real world downloads, it seems speeds exceed the 100/40 rate I am paying for. I have never seen a peak time speed slow down, never experience any peering issues, and everything seems to always stay consistent. I have seen only about 3-5 outages in a year, and they were usually in the middle of the night for only a couple of minutes, I would assume for maintenance.

Their customer service has been excellent as well. I call in inquiring about NBA TV nearly once a month and every time they have put in a channel request submission for me. When I signed up, they told me I wouldn't be charged for the router rental. I was charged $4.95 on my first bill for it, then I called in about it and was told I was correct in what was promised to me, so I was given a $10 monthly credit for a year to offset that cost and as a "thanks" for being a customer. I also recently wanted to reduce some monthly expenses and I called in thinking I would just downgrade to a lower speed tier... instead they just gave me another $10 monthly credit for the rest of the year to help me out. My most recent bill including taxes and fees is about $49 for 100 meg internet and basic tv with dvr and emergency (911) phone service.

Because of how great TDS has been, I have recently considered dropping Comcast as my primary TV provider, and switching completely to TDS for TV as well, even without having NBA TV, which is very important to me.

TDS recently announcing they are rolling out 1 gig service makes them even more exciting. Once it is in La Vergne, TN, I will be very very tempted. The only negatives I can see with TDS is still no NBA TV, and the fact they are still slightly more expensive than Google Fiber or Chattanooga's EPB service.

member for 11.7 years, 1939 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ALovelyGust

join:2009-09-20
Fayetteville, OH

TDS review

Wow, that is really nice. I'm incredibly "jelly" right now.

Review by davidc502 See Profile

• Location: Mount Juliet,Wilson,TN
  • Telco party TDS Metrocom
Good "Awesome service! With TDS, I'm getting the bandwidth I pay for, and when I've called, a human answered right away."
Overall "I'm happy with my decision to switch to TDS."

** No data caps** TOS for dsl is 250GB, but from what I understand Fiber does not. Update

No Contracts to speak of.

Advertised monthly price for 50/20mbps is $35, but when you include modem rental, taxes, fees it ends up being around 47.

First, I'll give kudos to the people who did the install. They did a good job, and did it fairly quickly, in a time of 1 and a half hours.

1. TDS got rid of the copper telephone line coming in and replaced it with fiber.
2. TDS installed a media converter box which takes the optical signals and converts them to Ethernet. I didn't order phone service, but the box also takes any old phone lines, inside the home, and converts them to fiber as well.
3. A battery backup was installed in the garage so phone calls can still be made if the power goes out.
5. The Ethernet cable runs from the media converter box, under the house to the room where the Router is. The router has one Gigabit WAN port and 4 Gigabit switch ports.
6. The router is a TDS stamped V1000h. Logging in and configuring it the way I wanted was easy to do. There are enough advanced features to do pretty much what I wanted to do, which was nice.

What about speed? I ordered the 50mbps/20mbps package. Speed tests consistently show me getting 49mbps/20mbps or there abouts.... I'm very happy.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 48738 kbps
Upload Speed: 19643 kbps
Latency: 3 ms
Jitter: 1 ms
2/25/2014 12:59:03 PM

The modem supplied is a V1000h, which is a dual core processor with 64 MB SDRAM, so it's certainly enough power to File share, stream, etc. The modem is easy to get into and configure. I really like that I can backup the configuration in case it has to be re-set.

member for 12.7 years, 690 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wgfinley See Profile

• Location: Elkhorn,Walworth,WI
  • Telco party TDS Metrocom
Good "Speeds have been as advertised, good latency, haven't experienced any outages."
Bad "Router isn't the greatest, took forever to get a password issue straightened out."
Overall "Decent reliable service at a good price that's kept me away from Charter."

I'm about 18 months into my contract and overall have been pleased. I moved to a somewhat rural area of Wisconsin from suburban Illinois. I was an AT&T Uverse user for several years (was one of the first to get it when it hit my neighborhood). Uverse was great internet service, rock solid and very fast, TDS has been okay.

The connection has been reliable, I can't think of any outages that I've had and latency has been great. I get a typical 18 ms ping to Speedtest. My speeds have also been solid as well, I am pretty fortunate to live near the CO so they pretty much hit my advertised speed. Were I still on Uverse I'd have 45 mbps available so being stuck at 20 mbps (advertised at 22 max) is a bit of a disappointment but given my area not terrible.

I spent several months not being able to log into their website. Finally found a rep who was able to figure out they had a typo on my user ID (doh) and that was what was causing my issues. Once he updated that I've been fine ever since (though their website is a bit kludgy, doesn't like Firefox, I have to use Safari).

On the modem side I haven't checked for options to swap out the VDSL modem they include, it's an Actiontec. The wifi isn't bad but I got my own wireless. The configuration is pretty easy but the modem has no self-health options. Every week or so I have to go in and do a reboot to improve or fix health, I'd love to be able to automate that so i didn't have to do it all the time.

My alternative is Charter and I've found them simply unacceptable dealing with them at my wife's home before we got married. They strung her along for years without a modem upgrade and gouging her for service (I got better service and the price went down). I found their line health to be absolutely pitiful though: regular outages, rarely near the 30 mbps rated speed and constant modem lock ups. I've had none of that with TDS.

So, long and short, decent service at a decent price ($80 includes the 22 "Extreme" Package plus a no frills phone line), they have some much better deals right now, I am about to see what can be done with my contract as they seem to have dropped their prices.

Comments:

Review by MrTaylorM See Profile

• Location: Rison,Cleveland,AR
Good "Stable Connection"
Bad "Speed, QofS, Local Equipment Issues, Local Capacity issue"
Overall "It's not worth paying $80 if I can only use it during the middle of the night and it still will be slow"

Lite(only what was "available")

The mailed a modem. That's it.

Actiontec

The Quality of Service

Comments:

Review by SteveSBE See Profile

• Location: Black Earth,Dane,WI
  • Telco party TDS Metrocom
Good "Not much except the people on the phone and tried but admitted they couldn't really help"
Bad "Terrible DSL speeds...not what is advertised"
Overall "Avoid"

Been with TDS for years. When we first got DSL we got close to the advertised speed. Now we get on average about 40% and often 20% of the speed we are paying for. When I call and they "reset" our connection we might get up to 80% of the advertised speed...for usually less than 4-6 hours. They admitted on the phone that there is a KNOWN CAPACITY PROBLEM but they don't know anything about whether or not it will be fixed. This company has problems I believe because they have such such poor reaction to their customers' plights. If you have an alternative take it.

member for 10.2 years, 114 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by HarperJG See Profile

• Location: Mount Juliet,Wilson,TN
Good "Fiber connection"
Bad "Download speed drops to 2 to 3 Mbps at nights and weekends"
Overall "Good to have an alternative to Comcast"

I've had TDSTV service for a little over a year. Service was fine, until the upload speed would just go to practically nothing. I would reset the hub, and the problem would be fixed. This went on for about 3 to 4 month, and changing out the hub would fix it. Recently I had an issue with the download speed dropping to around 2 to 3 Mbps on nights and weekends (service was 25Mbps down/10Mbps). I did bring this to TDS' attention, and they did issue me a credit.

Yesterday I got upgraded to new service (Microsoft Media room with OnDemand). OnDemad offerings are ok, but I guess it because it's new. Hopfully there will be more offerings later on. I also got updated to the 50Mbps down/25 Mbps up service. So far, speeds are pretty much consistent with that. True test will be over the weekend to see if the upgrade resolves that issue.

Overall, I have been happy with TDS. When compaired to Comcast, their customer service is significantly better. I'm not sure if TDS outsources their support (like Comcast does), but so far everyone I have talked to could speak English clearly and be understood. It's just nice having someone other than Comcast to choose from, and after experiencing the service I have received from TDS, I would never go back to Comcast.

member for 12.6 years, 292 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by ALovelyGust See Profile

• Location: Fayetteville,Brown,OH
Good "Couldn't ask for much more from DSL, it just works great."
Bad "None."
Overall "Bandwidth may be lacking, but you're a person here, not a number."

01/02/13 Update:

DSL is basically perfect right now, couldn't ask for much more, aside from maybe one day getting on the 25/5 plan they offer to other communities. Ping is low, line numbers are amazing, as long as the network is maintained, I don't foresee any reason why I would terminate service.

I had a problem develop at the residence with noise and crosstalk that also affected my phone service recently that started in early December, and I couldn't be happier with support or with the local tech that works here. Haven't been this satisfied with service since day 1 with my 10/1 data plan. Awesome work.

06/01/12 Update:

It's gotten better, I've seen evidence of changes on the line, so they're trying. I'm more inclined to believe the now stable ping times are because it's summer though, I'm planning on updating again in early 2013.

My plan is 10/1 with up to 15 mb download available.