TDS page on DSLReports

Review by moharr See Profile

• Location: Elm Grove,Waukesha,WI
Good "Fast, reliable"
Bad "Tech support unaware of their own outages"
Overall "best in SE wisconsin"

We had Ameritech DSL, everything went wrong (line intalled on circuit w/ coil filter, effectively filering out all data signals, connection worked
for a while, then went dead, Ameritech never did get the connection back up). So...ran into TDS installers putting in service next door, spoke w/
them, was impressed by their knowledge (more than just cable splicers), talked to sales, they prioritized us and got us back up quickly. Had no
problems until 07/11, when we were unable to access internet; no pings either way. Was certain of our connection up to the Paradyne MVL modem
(our NIC's, cable connections, etc - its just a strainght shot from NIC on fileserver to the modem). Tech support verified a problem on their segment.
Called back 07/13 when service still had not been restored and tech told me problem was fixed - that I had to troubleshoot my end (involving hooking
up a stand-alond PC w/ windows to the DLS line, instead of our linux fileserver). Had someone outside office do a traceroute of our static IP address.
He began trace from two different points and they both died at a TDS ip address. Called back tech support and they verified that they still had a
problem. We were up about an hour after that. I just feel that the people in their tech support ought to have up-to-the-minute info on outages and
the status of them. They also should be checking customer info (such as trace routes) to see if, indeed, there are any problems on their segments.

However, that said, I like TDS.

Comments:

Review by nostromo426 See Profile

• Location: Oak Creek,Milwaukee,WI
  • CLEC party: TDS Metrocom
Good "Fast reliable service; Multiple connection support; Local phone service"
Bad "Some miscommunication between departments during installation"
Overall "For Milwaukee, WI residents, TDS Metrocom is a welcomed alternative to Ameritech"

Ordered both local phone service and DSL service through TDS Metrocom in early May.
Local phone service went live May 7, 2001 - however DSL service was delayed until June 4, 2001.
Called TDS Metrocom's customer service to get an estimated activation date for the DSL service.
The person informed me that they were still testing the line, and that the DSL modem would
be mailed as soon as testing was completed. However, the person failed to mention that in order
to "complete" testing, a TDS technician needed to perform a final test from within my apartment.
Waited a couple weeks for my DSL modem to arrive. Finally, called TDS Metrocom's customer
support. I was informed that they were unable to complete testing, because they could not
gain access to the inside wiring. I was also informed that they tried calling, but there was no
answer (well, DUH...telephone companies just assume no one else in the world works 9-5).
I then proceeded to set up an appointment, but I had to reschedule due to conflict - which
delayed the final testing. Technician finally arrived on Tuesday, May 29, 2001. Final testing
of the inside wiring took approximately 5 minutes. The Efficient Network 5260 ADSL modem
arrived on Monday, June 4, 2001. I was live that evening without problems. Service is
consistently 635kbps down/520kbps up (ordered 768/768). Aside from one outage on 6/5/2001,
I have not experienced any interruptions in service. I would recommend TDS Metrocom to
anyone looking to get DSL service in the Metro-Milwaukee area.

member for 13.6 years, 100 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by hornypianist See Profile

• Location: Racine,Racine,WI
Good "Ummm, its fast?"
Bad "They're being gay at that company, I want my damn modem."
Overall "Probably a good service, but they're A$$ES at getting your modem."

It took them at least a month to finally come hook up whatever they needed to. Then the next day a tech comes and checks to see if the DSL is working. He told me that he'd call the results in the same day (it worked) and we'd get our modem in 2 days (they ship it, isnt that dumb as hell!?). Didn't recieve the modem for 4 days, so we call customer service to see what the hell is going on. They said they didnt get the test results yet but would try to hurry it up. My ass, how long does 1 phone call take to tell them it worked. A few days later, still no modem so I call again. Guy from cust service dept laughs when i tell him we were supposed to get the modem in 2 days and we hadn't. He says "Oh, well never listen to a tech, ha ha." So apparently IGNORANCE is accepted at TDS METROCOM. He checks again to see if they got results and they hadn't. The last rep we talked to sure busted her ass to get the results when we called 3 days ago. I know I haven't had the worste experience, but when they say on their 'hold' recording that our call matters and then ignore every damn thing we ask of them, I think thats lousy. I hope TDS see's this review and changes their attitude a little.

Comments:

Review by NerdMan See Profile

• Location: Appleton,Outagamie,WI
  • CLEC party: Ameritech
Good "Very fast speed. Very reliable."
Bad "Must adhere to a contract or pay modem costs."
Overall "Good buy if you need the speed."

I get the DSL connection for the $45 a month. I also selected TDS to be my phone carrier so that's only $18 a month more. I get 60 minutes free long distance, 200 free local calls. Much more convient than paying separate LD or Ameritech LD charges. I use just a little over 60 mins every month, so it's great. Every minute after is 9.5 cents, anytime. No Sprint cents for me.

Oh, and the speed is 768k. They don't specifically say it, but I think it's SDSL as the upload/download speeds are fairly close. Then again, it's a proprietary technology (Paradyne). Average dslreports west coast test is 600down/400up.

If you ordered the DSL under the old plan where you have to pay for the modem, you can call them up and go under the new plan where you get the modem for FREE (if you have the 2 year contract). Just ask them about getting if for free....

Comments:

Review by Lak9 See Profile

• Location: Racine,Racine,WI
  • CLEC party: Ameritech
Good "dynamic ip 642down/630up"
Bad "customer support/dsl help desk"
Overall "lack of communication between departments"

Contacted dsl help desk today after i noticed 100% packet loss to the network.

spoke with a male techy and told him that i could'nt open my browser.Told him i was runnin windows 2000.he says and i quote"that windows is'nt releasing your ip address and my machine is broke".This is the first time i have heard of this technical term used he says to contact my pc manufactorer.,and disconnects me.I call back a second time a few minutes later and i spoked with a women this time,she informs me that maintanance was done on the network and ip addresses were being moved in my area.After a few attemps at trying to get the packet loss problem taken care of she disconnects me again! I called back a third time to speak with a stuperviser and was told that my problem will b escaslated to such a person.I have a feeling it's their way of avoiding talking with a customer with a probelm that should be taken care of immediatly.

Secondly,I tell this person at the customer desk that my brothers modem was shipped to the wrong address here in racine .My brother was told that a modem was being shipped out next day air.Which he still has'nt recieved!Which this person says that all cases under these two phone numbers or accounts have been cleared.I'm sorry but that is'nt the case at all .I have brought four new accounts to metrocom and i'll tell you, all four are seriously thinking about cancelling your sorry service!

member for 13.9 years, 72 visits, last login: 12.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by shankerwi See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
  • CLEC party: TDS Metrocom
Good "Faster than my Northpoint line and a better ISP to deal with"
Bad "Ameritech taking 3 weeks to fix problems with my new DSL line"
Overall "I'd recommend TDS!"

After the Northpoint nightmare and Velotel's inability to save their residential customers, I found TDS to be a white knight. They jumbed through hoops to get my circiut for DSL just right. Ameritech made multiple mistakes, but TDS kept working with them to get it right. With Northpoint/Velotel, I could barely get a 300k connection. So I was not expecting too much more with TDS, because of my distance from my CO (16,000 feet). I received my modem (Efficient Networks SpeedStream) and hooked it up. I was surprised to see a connection of 640/416. I am very happy and glad I went with TDS Metrocom. You do have to sign up for their phone service in order to get DSL from them, but I find their prices very competitive with Ameritech. I am less worried about financial failures with TDS, since they've been in business since 1969 and they are one of the largest non-Bell phone companies in the Nation.

member for 14.1 years, 606 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by sidewinder1270 See Profile

• Location: Green Bay,Brown,WI
  • CLEC party: TDS Metrocom
Good "Everything!! Everything that I have experienced with TDS Metrocom has been GREAT!!"
Bad "Nothing!"
Overall "I would recommend TDS Metrocom to everyone. I has fast installation and everything has been trouble free."

Installation went very smoothly. Everyone that I have had to deal with at TDS Metrocom has been extremely nice and helpful. I signed up for the faster of there 2 plans which is 768down/768up and the technician who installed everything said realistically I can expect 560/560 and so far I have been experienceing 632/556.

I highly recommend TDS Metrocom to everyone

Comments:

Review by SKopischke See Profile

• Location: Green Bay,Brown,WI
  • CLEC party: Ameritech
Good "Very responsive and proactive preinstallation. No problems since."
Bad "None. The old Usenet slowness has completely disappeared."
Overall "Excellent service. Recommended."

I was able to save money by combining two analog phone lines and my old ISP charges into one TDS 256k DSL/voice line, with voice mail, long distance, etc. Response times have been excellent. My $65 monthly costs include DSL at $35 (I believe going to 768k would be an additional $10), voice package (caller ID, 200 local calls, voice mail) at $22, and the rest are the usual taxes.

Installation was an adventure, because Ameritech took nearly 120 days to provision the line to TDS. Once that was done, TDS had me up and running in less than 48 hours. All during the wait, one of TDS' customer service reps would call me periodically to make sure I understood what was going on, even if there wasn't really anything to update. The personal touch was nice.

The home end equipment is an Efficient Networks' SpeedStream on an Ethernet connection to my NIC.

After six months, I have never had to call tech support. Not bad at all.

member for 13.5 years, 16 visits, last login: 10.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by markpauli See Profile

• Location: Madison,Dane,WI
  • CLEC party: TDS Metrocom
Good "Service works, installed very quickly, and has a static IP as far as I can tell"
Bad "Took forever to get service turned on. Had to wait a month after first missed installation."
Overall "It's great once it's running, but be prepared for a looooooong wait."

I originally signed up on 11/29/00 and service didn't get turned on until 2/12/01. My modem didn't arrive until 2/14/01. After all that waiting, it set up like a breeze, and runs great. I was lucky I asked quesitons and found out I needed a crossover cable to connect the modem to my PC before I opened the modem box. It would have been infuriating to be missing a cable when I have waited so long. I'm getting about 640 up/down and speed is supposed to be 768 up/down. I still need to try and tweak a little, but I'm happy.

Comments:

Review by redhat1968 See Profile

• Location: Appleton,Outagamie,WI
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "slow and no so reliable service...."
Bad "if they get the order completed."
Overall "Not worth the wait...Try RoadRunner"

----EDIT---

I don't know what has happened but ther speed has slowed way down the last 6 months and here is what TDS has to say about it "We only promise a connection to the net not the speed. If you don't like your speed then you can disconnect for only $300"...Bulls*&t..I cancelled (with a lawyer in hand) and got away with no disconnect charges.
Good Bye TDS